SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday vs Da Griz

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Good. As they and we should be. Good for them to call it like it is.

We actually do have a decent 2nd string QB, they just chose not to play him in the first half which is mind boggling. Z should have been getting the reps this week in practice and started.  I feel like they did address the QB situation this past off season by bringing in two transfers and getting Boltmann.  Next year we will have three quality QB's on the roster.   If they would have just started Z today they wouldn't have egg on their face and look incompetent like they do right now for having started Hiedlebaugh.  But they did....so fair game to question them and call them on it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You figured you'd take the odds with your criticism; that does work most of the time. I'm not going to respond with a lecture, although it sounds you would like one. There are multiple factors at play here, and the sports medicine staff is certainly only a component of everything. Do you think medical assessments and plans are not variable, and thus, susceptible to error? Well, they are. It's possible such error occurred. It wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last. I won't disclose any personal details, but make sure you are willing to consider all possibilities before you initiate personal criticism. My criticism was directed at the entire unit being UND football, which includes the sports medicine staff. If you want to defend them, so be it, but the results of this season warrant some questioning. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, someone who uses a pedestal on here so frequently would move to personal subjection on a UND athletics forum. If this was a medical forum, I'd be pleased to teach you something, Ira. 

Let's see where today and the rest of the season goes. My support won't waiver. I'm just disappointed as well as loyal to a fault.

Go UND

For someone calling for others to lose their job aren't you a little thin skinned?  Personal criticism?  What "personal criticism"? I asked you a bunch of questions.  You let me know when you are going to teach me about sports medicine and I will buy the beer and be an attentive pupil. Then I will sit you down with Dr. Mann or Dr. Greek and buy the Scotch and we will all be attentive pupils. Let me know when your class starts.  With a season like this you are correct in stating the entire program needs evaluation. The program needs to be evaluated all of the time regardless of wins and losses.  

Listened on iheart radio and have to give Jack Michaels credit for trying to sound enthusiastic throughout the whole game.

UND may have only been behind 10 - 0  after the first quarter, but the thing that I thought was crazy was that the defense had created more turnovers than first downs made by the offense in this first quarter and a half! Even with third string defenders!  The offense barely had more yards in the first quarter than the defense had turnovers. It has to be some kind of record. How deflating that has to be for the defense.

gundy1124 for OC

• Upvote 1

The fact that there is such a disparity in talent between the #2 and #3 QBs but not acknowledged by this coaching staff is a microcosm of why this program is in complete disarray right now. If the average arm chair QB can see Zimm was clearly a better talent don't think for a second the rest of the players can't. Culture and locker room leadership is all but gone when crap like yesterday happens.

I'll second Gundy for OC........and I'm leaning towards him taking over the HC job instead.

• Upvote 3

Zim made throws I haven't seen Studs make and he did it with a guy in his face.

Bill Walsh could have been the OC in the first half and with H at QB they would have been shutout.  I don't like a lot of Rudy's calls, but that first half is not on him. Bubba decides who starts at QB. It's why he's the head coach.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The fact that there is such a disparity in talent between the #2 and #3 QBs but not acknowledged by this coaching staff is a microcosm of why this program is in complete disarray right now. If the average arm chair QB can see Zimm was clearly a better talent don't think for a second the rest of the players can't. Culture and locker room leadership is all but gone when crap like yesterday happens.

I'll second Gundy for OC........and I'm leaning towards him taking over the HC job instead.

I know on message boards especially you'll always see overreaction in the heat of the moment. The backup QB situation though is not one and it's something I sincerely hope the local media pushes for answers for. As everyone has said, this wasn't a situation where the "#3" was slightly better, the difference couldn't have been bigger. It was clear after two series that Heidelbaugh can't run an FCS offense. Instead of going to Zimmerman, they continued with Heidelbaugh for what was the most embarrassing first half of offensive football possible. 

I also think this has to have an affect on the locker room, with how frustrated we all are, I couldn't imagine being on the team and watching that. I'm genuinely embarrassed for Bubba, there's no amount of spin zone he can do to try to explain it.

On a positive note, even with the injury situation, outside of EWU, I think UND can be competitive the rest of the year with either Studsrud or Zimmerman. Given the injury situation in general, start Zimmerman against Montana and it's a 14 point game at the worst. That gives me a lot of hope (obviously next year will be better), but that this one year will just be a blip and they'll be back competing at the top of the league.  

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

I know on message boards especially you'll always see overreaction in the heat of the moment. The backup QB situation though is not one and it's something I sincerely hope the local media pushes for answers for. As everyone has said, this wasn't a situation where the "#3" was slightly better, the difference couldn't have been bigger. It was clear after two series that Heidelbaugh can't run an FCS offense. Instead of going to Zimmerman, they continued with Heidelbaugh for what was the most embarrassing first half of offensive football possible. 

I also think this has to have an affect on the locker room, with how frustrated we all are, I couldn't imagine being on the team and watching that. I'm genuinely embarrassed for Bubba, there's no amount of spin zone he can do to try to explain it.

On a positive note, even with the injury situation, outside of EWU, I think UND can be competitive the rest of the year with either Studsrud or Zimmerman. Given the injury situation in general, start Zimmerman against Montana and it's a 14 point game at the worst. That gives me a lot of hope (obviously next year will be better), but that this one year will just be a blip and they'll be back competing at the top of the league.  

as I said earlier this year ..according to the coaches the transfer Qb Kennerinham was the  best Qb on the field most days. With him at 1 and Zimmerman at 2, we will be just fine next year at Qb.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

Right on. Hard to imagine morale isn't affected when they see this type of decision being made or offensive play calling which seemingly only exists to bring the defense back onto the field as soon as possible. 

When they broke huddle  once the camera was on Brady and you could see him roll his eyes as he got set and the play ended up being an incomplete pass in the flat 

i was thinking when I saw him do that he wasn’t happy about the play call

I want to address something a poster said about Heidelbaugh being ruined. A coach's job is not only to recruit and evaluate talent, but its required to develop it. I see many positions where it appears players have regressed. I don't know if ruined is the right term, but when you bring in good multi-sport athletes, their ability should improve over the years under college coaching. Most of these guys played both ways in high school, so if a kid is not excelling on offense, try him on defense and vice versa. Tanner showed some nice wheels tracking down that receiver yesterday during that long run up the side line....I'd like to see him the ball in his hands.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think this is a huge insight into the coaches weaknesses - a stubborn refusal to change or deal with anything that is even a bit outside of their philosophy.  This is turning into a dumpster fire.  I hope someone in the media has the guts to ask Bubba directly wtf is going on.

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

I think this is a huge insight into the coaches weaknesses - a stubborn refusal to change or deal with anything that is even a bit outside of their philosophy.  This is turning into a dumpster fire.  I hope someone in the media has the guts to ask Bubba directly wtf is going on.

Yup. I love the energy Bubba has brought to the program but there seems to be some issues with stubbornly trying to hammer square pegs into round holes.

• Upvote 2

Bubba brings energy?  I like and respect Bubba but he always looks like he's in pain when the camera pans to him on the sideline.  I know there are quiet leaders, but I want to see a coach chest bumping his kids after a good play...talking junk to a ref in defense of his players; young kids love that stuff. When you see a coach dancing the locker room or leading the cheers after a big win, that's connecting with the players.  Bubba is always buttoned down and stoic.  Let your hair down sometimes, Bubba.

17 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Our D only gave up 38 points, our offense gave them 3 points.  Montana has scored more than 39 points in every single FCS game this year.  Our defense missing a ton of guys and giving up 38, and you are questioning that?   I guess it's ok to question scheme, but 38 points would be the lowest any FCS team has held them to this year.  With an offense that was complete crap the first half and couldn't move or hold on to the ball I would have thought it would of been worse. 

you know its been a bad year when we can say our D only gave up 38 and its actually a good thing. ouch.

• Upvote 1