SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND @ UC Davis

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

UND-FB-FAN is hinting at regime change as the answer, he just won't come out and say it. I think it is way too early to start talking about that.

No, I am not.

I am "hinting" at Bubba and his staff recruiting better players. Its hard when NDSU takes every decent player out of North Dakota; I'll give them that. It still needs to be better or else UND will have very little room for error in terms of injuries (like we are seeing now).

Bubba went 5-7, 7-4, 9-3 in his first three seasons. Right now, in his fourth season, he is 1-4. I think he will probably end with only 4 or 5 wins this season, which is very bad relative to may standards for UND football. With that said, of course I support the regime continuing into 2018 based on the improvement from 2014 to 2016. If 2018 is a lost year also, then my "hinting" may actually be towards a direction change. For now, Bubba and his staff need to just keep working as they have and hopefully hit on some better players during the recruiting process. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, I am not.

I am "hinting" at Bubba and his staff recruiting better players. Its hard when NDSU takes every decent player out of North Dakota; I'll give them that. It still needs to be better or else UND will have very little room for error in terms of injuries (like we are seeing now).

Bubba went 5-7, 7-4, 9-3 in his first three seasons. Right now, in his fourth season, he is 1-4. I think he will probably end with only 4 or 5 wins this season, which is very bad relative to may standards for UND football. With that said, of course I support the regime continuing into 2018 based on the improvement from 2014 to 2016. If 2018 is a lost year also, then my "hinting" may actually be towards a direction change. For now, Bubba and his staff need to just keep working as they have and hopefully hit on some better players during the recruiting process. 

I think the next couple of years will be very telling. One bad year after three years of progress does not mean they will not bounce back. If 2018 is another bad year, I will be on your side on this. I just am not ready to go there.

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, I am not.

I honestly think they win 1-2 games this year....injuries are off the charts.  Or as slow hand thinks I'm high or drunk.    Can never be upset here or  some one thinks your not of mind.   

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You think 13 starters being on the shelf is something that every team deals with? Please tell me you are stirring the pot, you cannot believe that.

Statistically speaking this isnt a one in a 100 year injury bug. Its one out of four. With about one out of four also being nearly "injury free."

I find it funny how everyone was pleading for UND to find money for raises for the coaching staff to keep them around. Now that same staff is being questioned if they are the ones to take UND to the next level.  Maybe this staff is or isn't the ones but very unfair to judge it off of this team with the countless injuries.   Kostich is the one who I question. These young players aren't physically or mentally ready to play at the level required to win at this level.  Hopefully the coaching staff and these young players learn from these experiences.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Not sure if anyone commented on injuries, yet......

A UND defense with Reyes, Harris, and Rodgers probably would have been enough to put this game at 50/50, even slant to UND.  Schmitty would have been able to dial some more things up with those 3.

Our offense at times, moved the ball OK today, but on the year, it has been bad.

Overall, still hard to watch the train wreck.

Exactly 

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Very true, but let's remember we were within 14 points of Utah on the road with 4 minutes left on the 4th quarter, before we got decimated. I am as frustrated as everybody....but let's remember that

The exact reason I brought up in my earlier post that I am a lifelong Syracuse fan.  Syracuse fans use the same logic.  They lost this year to LSU by 9 points! IN BATON ROUGE!!!! But guess what? Syracuse still sucks! They can come close to huge upsets, but at the end of the day, they're a football team that needs time to heal/improve.  It's just the truth....

And like Syracuse....North Dakota's season is over, sorry to say. It'll be great to even get to the playoffs now. Let alone get to the second round.  I'll (hopefully) eat my shoe if they get past the second round.  #Realism

Holy crap!! With the way this thread went I would have thought it was 2013 all over again. Injuries suck we all know that but how can our team have half their players injured through just 5 weeks, not even half the season is gone. I think Bubba needs to tell us what went wrong so far BESIDES injuries. Are players not stepping up? Was their bad recruiting? Too much hype after last year? This season is all about the question mark and a lot of them. Blowouts  3 weeks in a row is horrible, so something needs to be fixed and fast or this season could damage the progress of this program. Bubba did a great job getting the sunken ship above water and on course, now we hit an iceberg and it’s starting to sink. If this (getting blown out) becomes a trend future recruits are going to bypass us and play somewhere else. After this season there is no autobid into the playoffs for the next 2 seasons, we can only rely on an at large bid. That 8 wins is gonna be tough when you have no conference title as a safety net to getting into the playoffs. So come November Bubba and Brian Faison better come up with a solution to get back on track even if it means switching things up in coaching (not Bubba but below him).

4 hours ago, Red Pepper 19 said:

Just commenting on UN_ contending in the MVFC...  Just the facts.   Go back to the big sky where you belong.  P.S.  UN_ is getting blown out in there second conference game this year... let's start small and work up to contending in another conference.   Sorry.

Get lost Lakesbison.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

If Deion ,Cole, Donnell and Connor were on the field today ...none of this sh$& would've happened. Injuries!!!   Two all Americans and one to be all American in that list. 

But they aren't on the field. You need a next man up mentality and clearly we don't have that. Recruiting clearly needs work.

I do not know a ton about other college football teams but the Green Bay Packers are on their third running back, started offensive lineman that last week was on some other team's practice squad, and a special teams member who worked in a consignment store a few days ago.  People are playing positions that they typically don't, you just have to step up. Injuries happen but you can't just roll over and give up.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Holy crap!! With the way this thread went I would have thought it was 2013 all over again. Injuries suck we all know that but how can our team have half their players injured through just 5 weeks, not even half the season is gone. I think Bubba needs to tell us what went wrong so far BESIDES injuries. Are players not stepping up? Was their bad recruiting? Too much hype after last year? This season is all about the question mark and a lot of them. Blowouts  3 weeks in a row is horrible, so something needs to be fixed and fast or this season could damage the progress of this program. Bubba did a great job getting the sunken ship above water and on course, now we hit an iceberg and it’s starting to sink. If this (getting blown out) becomes a trend future recruits are going to bypass us and play somewhere else. After this season there is no autobid into the playoffs for the next 2 seasons, we can only rely on an at large bid. That 8 wins is gonna be tough when you have no conference title as a safety net to getting into the playoffs. So come November Bubba and Brian Faison better come up with a solution to get back on track even if it means switching things up in coaching (not Bubba but below him).

Faison has nothing to do with fixing it until Bubba can't fix it. Bubba is the one who would be making the coaching changes, Faison would be making a head coaching change if this continues for the next two seasons. 

Here's a list of the RS Freshmen and true Freshmen who played way too much so far this year on D.

Blubaugh, Shannon, Rastas and Stewart are true frosh.

Turner, Haas, Steiger and Richman have been playing a lot as RS frosh. All are getting their first taste of game action. Is there an adjustment period? I would guess so. The true frosh are not allowed to make that adjustment slowly and have been tossed in the fire.

Not gonna remind all about who these guys are trying to replace, but 2 of them are legit pro prospects.

I'm a guy who spent a couple of years seeking Haks firing over on the hockey thread so I'm not immune to banging that drum, but this year is an aberration. IF they don't put it together next year, I may not be so patient.

• Like 1