SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND @ UC Davis

geaux_sioux

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Then why were they 3-8 in 2013? The program was in the toilet when Mussman left. Don't make it sound like the cupboard was full of goodies when it clearly wasn't.

It wasn't full in 2013; it was crap. There were some talented players on the roster though. And Bubba hasn't built the depth up to the point where it needs to be. The coaching and leadership is much better under Bubba's staff, though. 

As the announcers just said, UND needs to recruit better. Not enough depth and talent on the roster. The injury situation does nothing but show that. No excuses from my end; just identify the weakness that needs addressing. Get to work Bubba and staff.

Obviously having the 13 guys that are out back would hide the depth issues and everything would be back on schedule, BUT, UND doesn't have those 13 guys or so and, as such, we see the depth is crap. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

13 is an anomaly but what it really speaks to is no depth whatsoever. 

When you inherit a program in the toilet, three full recruiting classes are not enough to build quality depth throughout the program. That is what NDSU built during their transition and (except for 2009) they were competitive throughout that time. Once 2010 came around, they had the depth and talent to make the playoffs and their historic run started the year after that. Remember that it took Roger Thomas seven years to make the playoffs and eight years to make a playoff run and win a conference title. And he took over a trainwreck similar to what Bubba took over. And there was a national power 75 miles away (NDSU) in 1986, just as there was in 2013. The difference this time is that people are actually paying attention to the program today, while back in 1986, the program was a total afterthought. That, plus our unexpected success last year, has people very disappointed right now. Which is not a bad thing.

I am focused on the big picture and the long-term. It will take another couple of years to determine if Bubba is the long-term answer. I am not ready to make that determination right now.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As the announcers just said, UND needs to recruit better. Not enough depth and talent on the roster. The injury situation does nothing but show that. No excuses from my end; just identify the weakness that needs addressing. Get to work Bubba and staff.

Obviously having the 13 guys that are out back would hide the depth issues and everything would be back on schedule, BUT, UND doesn't have those 13 guys or so and, as such, we see the depth is crap. 

And you think that depth should be there today, in full? The depth wasn't good last year either, but we weren't as banged up last year, so it didn't matter as much. It will take a couple of more recruiting classes to build the kind of quality depth you need to win at this level.

Per Tom Miller, UND has given up 45+ points in three consecutive games for the first time in program history.

The depth is crap, and Bubba and his staff, as they are the recruiters, are directly responsible. Even if you have to play second and third stringers, giving up that many points is inexcusable.

Get to work Bubba and staff; you have some major holes to fill via recruiting.

On to Northern Colorado. 

As for those sticking to the excuses, you are right either way: the 2017 season will definitely be an underachievement. 

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It's clear from this season moving forward,  the only way to stay competitive is to avoid all injuries every year.

Unattainable!    Injuries to a select few 8 or so is one thing.     Being smart ass about injuries is another.   Nothing is clear to the amount of injuries.   UND is decimated 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

I'm not convinced UND was really that good last year. 4 victories over teams with winning records. 2 7-4 and 2 6-5.  D stats look good based on the level of comp played...

Straight from Bisonville weekly notes.  Stop the charade, loser.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Unattainable!    Injuries to a select few 8 or so is one thing.     Being smart ass about injuries is another.   Nothing is clear to the amount of injuries.   UND is decimated 

Be careful on your degree of "decimation". The injuries shouldn't turn UND from first to worst in the Big Sky Conference. That designation also belongs to below average recruiting from the past few years. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Per Tom Miller, UND has given up 45+ points in three consecutive games for the first time in program history.

The depth is crap, and Bubba and his staff, as they are the recruiters, are directly responsible. Even if you have to play second and third stringers, giving up that many points is inexcusable.

Get to work Bubba and staff; you have some major holes to fill via recruiting.

On to Northern Colorado. 

As for those sticking to the excuses, you are right either way: the 2017 season will definitely be an underachievement. 

Depth isn't built in a few short years. It takes time. It took Roger Thomas a long time to build depth in the program, as he took over a dumpster fire in 1986. Bubba took over a similar dumpster fire in 2013. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this year. I have never seen anything like this before. You can bet that NDSU would be in trouble once they got into the meat of the MVFC schedule if 13 of their starters were on the shelf, even with their superior depth.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Depth isn't built in a few short years. It takes time. It took Roger Thomas a long time to build depth in the program, as he took over a dumpster fire in 1986. Bubba took over a similar dumpster fire in 2013. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this year. I have never seen anything like this before. You can bet that NDSU would be in trouble once they got into the meat of the MVFC schedule if 13 of their starters were on the shelf, even with their superior depth.

If you hit on your recruiting classes, depth can be built relatively quickly. There's no set timetable. The way Thomas went about it in the 80s and 90s is completely different from the modern era of recruiting, not to mention UND is recruiting against DI institutions now. Its apple to oranges. Some coaches have gone 7+ years without ever building depth (and ultimately get fired) whereas some coaches arrive and the depth is built after only a year or two (because the classes are all successful in terms of quantity and quality). Its extremely variable. 

Is 3 recruiting classes enough for Bubba? Apparently not. Should it be enough? I don't know because its extremely variable in the world of modern DI college football. We'll see how the next couple seasons go for Bubba and UND football. 

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If you hit on your recruiting classes, depth can be built relatively quickly. There's no set timetable. The way Thomas went about it in the 80s and 90s is completely different from the modern era of recruiting, not to mention UND is recruiting against DI institutions now. Its apple to oranges. Some coaches have gone 7+ years without ever building depth (and ultimately get fired) whereas some coaches arrive and the depth is built after only a year or two (because the classes are all successful in terms of quantity and quality). Its extremely variable. 

Is 3 recruiting classes enough for Bubba? Apparently not. Should it be enough? I don't know because its extremely variable in the world of modern DI college football. We'll see how the next couple seasons go for Bubba and UND football. 

No, it is not "apples to oranges". NDSU was a Division 2 power in 1986 and they were an FCS power in 2013. So the comparison is valid. And you are the one implying that there should be a "set timetable"; you think we should have the depth now and we don't. I personally think we need a couple of more years to make an informed judgement of this regime. If we are still losing games by 45+ points next year, then I will start asking questions. But I really don't think that is going to happen.

• Downvote 1