SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Is men's golf getting cut? I thought they had money through 2018, but it may go away after that. If true we would have just 7 men's sports compared to 9 for women's. How could they be in title IX violation? NDSU has 8 sports for both men's and women's, and somehow they are compliant when we basically have identical sports except we have hockey and they have wrestling. 

Correction, at NDSU they have 'wrasslin'. :)

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, SS0016 said:

Most people forget the twins were gophers until they realized it wasn't all about them there and transferred.  Ironic, they leave and Minny wins national titles.

I don't think they went to Minnesota for anything except exposure. They used their freshman years to get on the Olympic team and after they achieved that they transferred here. I have no problem with them being upset about the program closing as hockey is their life and they have every right to use their freedom of speech. It sucks for them but it was absolutely the right call.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, iramurphy said:

We can't control what the twins say and do we can control how we respond. 

Yup.

My response was and remains:

Show me a workable* budget that retains women's hockey. 

*Meeting fiscal, conference, NCAA, and Federal Title IX requirements. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Is men's golf getting cut? I thought they had money through 2018, but it may go away after that. If true we would have just 7 men's sports compared to 9 for women's. How could they be in title IX violation? NDSU has 8 sports for both men's and women's, and somehow they are compliant when we basically have identical sports except we have hockey and they have wrestling. 

A raw number of sports is not a credible measure. Opportunities (roster slots for M/F) is what's looked at in comparison to the general student body M/F ratio. And that's merely one of a plethora of checklist items. 

FB has 100 on the roster. That's why there's the need for VB, soccer, and softball.

12 hours ago, darell1976 said:

ndsu also has baseball...

...and mens cow tipping...

13 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

...and mens cow tipping...

Don't hang the curve like that. 
Don't hang the curve like that.
Oh damn ... 

Isn't that called Friday night date night there? 

I'm going to Hell ... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Csonked Out said:

I don't think they went to Minnesota for anything except exposure. They used their freshman years to get on the Olympic team and after they achieved that they transferred here. I have no problem with them being upset about the program closing as hockey is their life and they have every right to use their freedom of speech. It sucks for them but it was absolutely the right call.

Wait....so you're saying they are Olympians?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Wait....so you're saying they are Olympians?

That was the main reason they went to Minnesota their freshman year in my opinion to ensure they would get the exposure to make the team. That being said, that shouldn't be a reason why a program that loses millions of dollars yearly stay in place. It is a dumb argument 

Love this site....check it several times per day to learn "all  things" UND sports...this is the only hockey related link I check, some days there is nothing other than hockey threads here....tho....

Glad to see the consencus is a) women's hockey @ UND is dead , and b) the Fighting Sioux nick name/logo ain't ever coming back....

I used to follow UND hockey under Geno and Dean, but then Hak spoiled it for me in spite of all his National Championships....no wait..!!!!!!!

Honest Q....when will this site change name?????

• Downvote 7

6 hours ago, Csonked Out said:

I was told that they went to MN due the coach at UND (Rivard?) at the time and the state of the program.  Once she was gone they were interested in coming back home to play. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, John W. said:

Love this site....check it several times per day to learn "all  things" UND sports...this is the only hockey related link I check, some days there is nothing other than hockey threads here....tho....

Glad to see the consencus is a) women's hockey @ UND is dead , and b) the Fighting Sioux nick name/logo ain't ever coming back....

I used to follow UND hockey under Geno and Dean, but then Hak spoiled it for me in spite of all his National Championships....no wait..!!!!!!!

As soon as you change your name to FrenchFryGuy81.

• Upvote 1

No...Blackheart....I don't hide behind any pseudonym....been known by my real name...John....for my 70 years on this earth...and unlike several on this post...'never lived in my mom's basement'....and sponged.......been supporting myself/wife/family all my life...and done real well....at it....

Enjoying Fighting Hawk M/W BB and Football now....life is good......not tormented by the past....as some who hold on......

• Downvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, darell1976 said:

I have no doubt the NDSU is in Title IX compliance.  They just choose a different path to meet Title IX.  Compliance to Title IX can take many different forms.  The path that NDSU takes has positives and negatives.  One of the disadvantages is that you really don't have control over what sports you offer.  If there is enough interest in returned surveys that NDSU distributes annually.  Then NDSU will need to take action to provide an opportunity.  Now does that mean a scholarship sport.  I am not sure.  But, given NDSU's approach to Title IX and the aggressive nature of women's hockey.  I can see a path to NDSU looking at college women's hockey.  Will it happened - unknown.

http://www.law.du.edu/documents/sports-and-entertainment-law-journal/issues/01/williams-title-ix.pdf

Section:  IV. New Legislation - in the article does a nice job of explaining the third prong.

22 hours ago, John W. said:

That was some epic trolling. More on that in a second.

The answer to your question is known only by the site's private owner. Being a private site he can call it as he chooses. 

Since we're asking questions, ...

Have you read the forum rules about trolling? 

Are you wondering when we'll pull the plug if you keep it up? 

I'll help you out. The answer to each is: you should.

Signed,

The Management

4 hours ago, FSSD said:

I have no doubt the NDSU is in Title IX compliance.  They just choose a different path to meet Title IX.  Compliance to Title IX can take many different forms.  The path that NDSU takes has positives and negatives.  One of the disadvantages is that you really don't have control over what sports you offer.  If there is enough interest in returned surveys that NDSU distributes annually.  Then NDSU will need to take action to provide an opportunity.  Now does that mean a scholarship sport.  I am not sure.  But, given NDSU's approach to Title IX and the aggressive nature of women's hockey.  I can see a path to NDSU looking at college women's hockey.  Will it happened - unknown.

http://www.law.du.edu/documents/sports-and-entertainment-law-journal/issues/01/williams-title-ix.pdf

Section:  IV. New Legislation - in the article does a nice job of explaining the third prong.

Fargo seems to be a hotbed for attracting hockey from the Force, to the NCAA regionals, they could host the newest members of the WCHA...the NDSU Bison. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Signed,

Just a casual observation, you certainly like ending posts like this be it as "The Management" or something else during one of the other 50ish posts you've done it.  Admittedly, 50 in 20,000+ posts doesn't really make it trend but it could be called your "signature" move.

Dear "Management"....Thx for the answer on the site name...it was an honest inquiry...With regard to trolling....I find this site the most informative about UND sports...my honest opinion is that I don't like the direction UND hockey has taken after Dean left....how is that different from the "Fire Brian Jones" thread or the rants against Muss....

Those individuals have a right to express their opinions, just as I should be granted the opportunity to express my opinion about the Hak regime....

Private enterprise has a right to stifle free speech....but that is kind of the antithesis of what forums/blogs are intended to provide...open discourse of opinions!!!!

2 hours ago, John W. said:

Dear "Management"....Thx for the answer on the site name...it was an honest inquiry...With regard to trolling....I find this site the most informative about UND sports...my honest opinion is that I don't like the direction UND hockey has taken after Dean left....how is that different from the "Fire Brian Jones" thread or the rants against Muss....

Those individuals have a right to express their opinions, just as I should be granted the opportunity to express my opinion about the Hak regime....

Private enterprise has a right to stifle free speech....but that is kind of the antithesis of what forums/blogs are intended to provide...open discourse of opinions!!!!

I'm not so sure you are really looking for "open discourse"....With or without a pseudonym.:D

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

I'm not so sure you are really looking for "open discourse"....With or without a pseudonym.:D

When you're a 70 year old troll, you've obviously got serious problems.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, southpaw said:

Just a casual observation, you certainly like ending posts like this be it as "The Management" or something else during one of the other 50ish posts you've done it.  Admittedly, 50 in 20,000+ posts doesn't really make it trend but it could be called your "signature" move.

It's how I let people know what was said was said as a Moderator.