SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

We didn't have the financial backing to start women's hockey in the beginning and we we lose too much money.

When all the other factors are laid out plainly, this is still the glaring fact that had to be faced. 

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I get the financial pickle UND athletics is in but I don't believe there was ever much of an effort by the University to explore fundraising options.  One of our million dollar donors was never approached. I know donors listed in the top 100 athletic donors weren't asked.  Having said that I doubt $60 million was ever going to be raised.

I suspect the donors weren't approached because the Spirit Campaign ($300 million) had been completed not that long ago. You'd be going back to the same whales about five years after the ask for the last major donation. 

Consider this: a million dollar donation would fund half a women's hockey season, ... half. 

• Upvote 1

It also doesn't look like any of the top 100 doners made an effort to ask or stated they would donate to save the women's hockey team, besides Chipman. 

I also don't see these doners trying to save men's golf or tennis I can't remember which one needs the $4 million by 2018.

7 minutes ago, cberkas said:

It also doesn't look like any of the top 100 doners made an effort to ask or stated they would donate to save the women's hockey team, besides Chipman. 

I also don't see these doners trying to save men's golf or tennis I can't remember which one needs the $4 million by 2018.

Golf is the one.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Isn't there some guy around here that's been saying that for nearly going on two decades? "Cafeteria plan" (pick and choose the sports you want to play and at what level) ring a bell with some of you? (Ouch. I think my shoulder just came out from patting myself on the back. ;) )  

The NCAA sets the minimum sport sponsorship levels. They could change those. But, that'd be like a government agency, or an academic institution, willingly cutting its own budget. 

I know.  As you can tell I fully agree 

4 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

Good points but because they disagree with the decision doesn't mean that it makes the lies that they are publicly spewing ok. I mean do they think they are our president or something?!

Exactly.  Benedict Arnold was thought of as a pretty good dude in the colonies up until about September 1780.  But for some reason opinions changed after that.  

15 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Exactly.  Benedict Arnold was thought of as a pretty good dude in the colonies up until about September 1780.  But for some reason opinions changed after that.  

Well, the battle of saratoga was a pretty big deal. That darn Peggy Shippen.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Isn't there some guy around here that's been saying that for nearly going on two decades? "Cafeteria plan" (pick and choose the sports you want to play and at what level) ring a bell with some of you? (Ouch. I think my shoulder just came out from patting myself on the back. ;) )  

The NCAA sets the minimum sport sponsorship levels. They could change those. But, that'd be like a government agency, or an academic institution, willingly cutting its own budget. 

Idk, I guess I don't pay attention to anything you write! :p

Anyone that questions UND about Fundraising efforts must remember there is only so much money to go around.  Afterall, phase 1 of HPC barely got done and had several shortcuts do to cost.  Then, there is phase 2 of HPC that we arn't even close on i heard.  We must prioritize what is important, WIH is not one of them with a loss of 2 mil a year.

22 hours ago, iramurphy said:

The Lamoureaux twins were two of the best athletes ever from the state of North Dakota.  In addition to playing hockey at the highest level available they were blue chip soccer players who could likely have played college soccer.  I can't remember if they won an NCAA championship at the U of Mn but I do remember how excited people were when they transferred back to UND and what that meant to our young program.  They are still two of the best women's hockey players in the world and have been great ambassadors for UND.  Their parents and brothers have also been an important part of the UND hockey  family.  I get the financial pickle UND athletics is in but I don't believe there was ever much of an effort by the University to explore fundraising options.  One of our million dollar donors was never approached. I know donors listed in the top 100 athletic donors weren't asked.  Having said that I doubt $60 million was ever going to be raised.  These young athletes feel betrayed.  You would too.  The fact that there aren't many fans at their games doesn't lessen the time, effort, hard work, and passion these women have dedicated to the sport and our University.  We didn't have the financial backing to start women's hockey in the beginning and we we lose too much money.  No surprise it was cut but put yourself in the shoes of not only the twins but of the other athletes male and female who committed to UND and feel betrayed by the University and the schools administration.  Most people on this board would be rioting if UND dropped Men's Hockey.  Look at the fuss over the name and logo.  The Lamoureaux twins have made comments and accusations because they and others are hurt and angry.  Look at how people have acted over the nickname fiasco.  The Lamoureaux twins and the other athletes have done nothing even as close to the dumb ass comments and accusations related to the name and logo.   I'm not agreeing with them, but I understand their anger and frustration.  Show some class and cut them some slack.  The rhetoric isn't going to change anything and it makes us all look stupid. Sometimes our family members say and do stupid things and the rest of us need to let it go.

I agree with this 100% even going a few years back. For those who were paying attention to the state budget, the cutting of a few sports was obvious. But this probably isn't true of the vast majority. If they had blatantly said we need to raise $XM dollars to avoid cutting sports/majors I bet they could have saved some teams and degrees. Of course, if they hadn't wasted the money on the new name and logo, they may have been able to raise enough money to keep all of the teams. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

It's the government if they want to find skeletons they will just keep digging until they find something. Not sure what the person who filed this thinks they will accomplish other than appeasing their anger and hurting student athletes. 

11 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I agree with this 100% even going a few years back. For those who were paying attention to the state budget, the cutting of a few sports was obvious. But this probably isn't true of the vast majority. If they had blatantly said we need to raise $XM dollars to avoid cutting sports/majors I bet they could have saved some teams and degrees. Of course, if they hadn't wasted the money on the new name and logo, they may have been able to raise enough money to keep all of the teams. 

I guess I forgot when UND lost 2 million dollars a year to retire and develop a new nickname and logo.  "Of course"!!  Good point.  Thanks for bringing that up. :blink:

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I guess I forgot when UND lost 2 million dollars a year to retire and develop a new nickname and logo.  "Of course"!!  Good point.  Thanks for bringing that up. :blink:

Not to mention that we had no choice but to take on a new name and logo.