SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

16 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

You know what would have eliminated Women's Hockey faster than anything?  

Dropping Football.  

Careful, you're going to confuse people who don't understand how numbers work and need to balance out.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

We could have went the UNO route dropped football. That would have saved women's hockey.  Plus then there is no need to have a separate football conference for half the teams in that precious slummit league. 

I can't believe that someone would say something so foolish!
Also, if they would've cut Football they would've had to cut another woman's sport.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2017 at 10:32 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Apparently they're quite the litigious family. 

On 4/29/2017 at 5:15 PM, Blackheart said:

Does that mean they are vegetarian?

On 4/29/2017 at 6:53 PM, The Sicatoka said:

No. It means they're not Catholic. 

Follow along, Sicatoka.  Litigious vegetarians.  That means they take care of animals.  

4 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

And a few other womens sports on campus....

But he already knew that.

Just save WH at all costs.

Ever get the feeling that if Kennedy came out tomorrow and eliminated MEN'S hockey to bring back women's hockey, that there would be 209 people celebrating along with ESPN about a "victory" for female athletes all across the country.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Ever get the feeling that if Kennedy came out tomorrow and eliminated MEN'S hockey to bring back women's hockey, that there would be 209 people celebrating along with ESPN about a "victory" for female athletes all across the country.  

If that ever happened, I can see the men's hockey program getting endowed in about 10 seconds.

• Upvote 3

Reading the article it was pretty telling that even the real UCONN of college hockey (Minnesota) was worried.  Truth be told however...  I don't see a big movement of adding or subtracting women's hockey teams. 

Fun to read some of the comments on the Star Trib Facebook page.  Yeah, they totally did this for football and hired Title IX lawyers because they have a guilty conscience..... :silly:

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Reading the article it was pretty telling that even the real UCONN of college hockey (Minnesota) was worried.  Truth be told however...  I don't see a big movement of adding or subtracting women's hockey teams. 

Minnesota lawmakers would vote to shut down UMD in its entirety if it meant keeping Minnesota's women's program afloat.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I think Swimming and Diving accomplished as much as WH did in a much shorter timeframe at the D1 level. 

Someone correct me...

And so help me, if someone says "olympians"....

The S&D team had some make the Olympic trials. So they almost had an Olympian :-)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

The Lamoureaux twins were two of the best athletes ever from the state of North Dakota.  In addition to playing hockey at the highest level available they were blue chip soccer players who could likely have played college soccer.  I can't remember if they won an NCAA championship at the U of Mn but I do remember how excited people were when they transferred back to UND and what that meant to our young program.  They are still two of the best women's hockey players in the world and have been great ambassadors for UND.  Their parents and brothers have also been an important part of the UND hockey  family.  I get the financial pickle UND athletics is in but I don't believe there was ever much of an effort by the University to explore fundraising options.  One of our million dollar donors was never approached. I know donors listed in the top 100 athletic donors weren't asked.  Having said that I doubt $60 million was ever going to be raised.  These young athletes feel betrayed.  You would too.  The fact that there aren't many fans at their games doesn't lessen the time, effort, hard work, and passion these women have dedicated to the sport and our University.  We didn't have the financial backing to start women's hockey in the beginning and we we lose too much money.  No surprise it was cut but put yourself in the shoes of not only the twins but of the other athletes male and female who committed to UND and feel betrayed by the University and the schools administration.  Most people on this board would be rioting if UND dropped Men's Hockey.  Look at the fuss over the name and logo.  The Lamoureaux twins have made comments and accusations because they and others are hurt and angry.  Look at how people have acted over the nickname fiasco.  The Lamoureaux twins and the other athletes have done nothing even as close to the dumb ass comments and accusations related to the name and logo.   I'm not agreeing with them, but I understand their anger and frustration.  Show some class and cut them some slack.  The rhetoric isn't going to change anything and it makes us all look stupid. Sometimes our family members say and do stupid things and the rest of us need to let it go.

Well said!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

The Lamoureaux twins were two of the best athletes ever from the state of North Dakota.  In addition to playing hockey at the highest level available they were blue chip soccer players who could likely have played college soccer.  I can't remember if they won an NCAA championship at the U of Mn but I do remember how excited people were when they transferred back to UND and what that meant to our young program.  They are still two of the best women's hockey players in the world and have been great ambassadors for UND.  Their parents and brothers have also been an important part of the UND hockey  family.  I get the financial pickle UND athletics is in but I don't believe there was ever much of an effort by the University to explore fundraising options.  One of our million dollar donors was never approached. I know donors listed in the top 100 athletic donors weren't asked.  Having said that I doubt $60 million was ever going to be raised.  These young athletes feel betrayed.  You would too.  The fact that there aren't many fans at their games doesn't lessen the time, effort, hard work, and passion these women have dedicated to the sport and our University.  We didn't have the financial backing to start women's hockey in the beginning and we we lose too much money.  No surprise it was cut but put yourself in the shoes of not only the twins but of the other athletes male and female who committed to UND and feel betrayed by the University and the schools administration.  Most people on this board would be rioting if UND dropped Men's Hockey.  Look at the fuss over the name and logo.  The Lamoureaux twins have made comments and accusations because they and others are hurt and angry.  Look at how people have acted over the nickname fiasco.  The Lamoureaux twins and the other athletes have done nothing even as close to the dumb ass comments and accusations related to the name and logo.   I'm not agreeing with them, but I understand their anger and frustration.  Show some class and cut them some slack.  The rhetoric isn't going to change anything and it makes us all look stupid. Sometimes our family members say and do stupid things and the rest of us need to let it go.

We were put in this situation by the past TWO presidents of our University who never wanted to deal with financial issues. Reaching out to donors for athletics should've been done before Kennedy came on board, not after. His job at UND is to educate students and to make sure they are on the right path for success.

I also don't care if athletes feel betrayed, UND is a educational instatute first.

How do you think UND and its fans felt when the Lamoureaux twins committed to the UofM? There pity party is over and its time to move along.

• Upvote 3

On 5/2/2017 at 7:47 AM, siouxkid12 said:

I don't think that its just women's hockey, I think it could be all of college sports. There is too much money getting tossed around at all these schools and at some point an adult needs to come in and slow that spending down.

23 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Maybe UND just set an example and more will follow.  The NCAA requiring 14 or 16 sports at each school is ridiculous.   

Isn't there some guy around here that's been saying that for nearly going on two decades? "Cafeteria plan" (pick and choose the sports you want to play and at what level) ring a bell with some of you? (Ouch. I think my shoulder just came out from patting myself on the back. ;) )  

The NCAA sets the minimum sport sponsorship levels. They could change those. But, that'd be like a government agency, or an academic institution, willingly cutting its own budget. 

• Upvote 1

I thought it was absolutely pathetic the way they handled it, but that's me. There were 5 sports cut in the past two years and no one acted like they did (& the rest of the Women's team).

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

If they could, most schools would probably have their core 4 sports offerings, combined with frisbee golf, rowing, darts,  croquet, ring toss, lawn golf, and six different versions of tag.  

Great.
You just set off a social media hashtag storm.

Its clear you plan to cut men's duck-duck-grey-duck and women's musical chairs. 

Worse is you leaked it before you told the teams and held a press conference ... and they were practicing during the leak. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Great.
You just set off a social media hashtag storm.

Its clear you plan to cut women's duck-duck-grey-duck. 

Worse is you leaked it before you told the teams and held a press conference. 

You know they are on the practice field now, right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

Good points but because they disagree with the decision doesn't mean that it makes the lies that they are publicly spewing ok. I mean do they think they are our president or something?!

are you referring to Kennedy?