SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

The Body issue stuff doesn't bother me.  Of course it will become a bigger issue, alongside the pay if they don't bring home the gold medal, or god forbid they do what the US Women's soccer team did in the Olympics last year. 

The commish has a right to be concerned, but i'll believe it when I see it that this is the beginning of the end for Women's Hockey.  Honestly, she should be more worried about 2 Big Ten schools adding M/W hockey then other schools dropping the sport.  I mean, which other WCHA school would even be in a position to do so? 

Don't think the end is near for collegiate women's hockey....but not a good sign.. I would suspect there are more young females, thru high school age playing soccer in MN/ND than play hockey......prolly same for males, too..

in the US I would suspect soccer is also more popular...both in participation and general fan interest...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

went to one women's hockey game its first year...didn't go back...hadn't been to a vball game in 20 years (my junior year at und)...went to one about six years and have gone to about ten since....find me one person that thinks the entertainment value for wih was better than volleyball....and their named cannot rhyme with pameroooh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

went to one women's hockey game its first year...didn't go back...hadn't been to a vball game in 20 years (my junior year at und)...went to one about six years and have gone to about ten since....find me one person that thinks the entertainment value for wih was better than volleyball....and their named cannot rhyme with pameroooh.

A sold out Betty vs a damn near empty REA. The women had their chance to make WH something but not many showed their support in the seats compared to on social media. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

A sold out Betty vs a damn near empty REA. The women had their chance to make WH something but not many showed their support in the seats compared to on social media. 

That's true of most of our our sports. How many fans support golf, soccer, tennis, track, swimming and Diving or softball? 

What gets me is that the hockey team knew the school was in a budget crunch and still had that massive budget when teams across the Red River were equally competitive for a fraction of the cost. As soon as they were no longer declared "safe" they had huge target on their backs and they have no one to blame but their own inept staff. 

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, cberkas said:

No way NDSU adds a $2 million bottomless pit to throw money in.

It would probably be on the order of what St Cloud St and Mankato pay, under a mill, as goodies the UND men's team gets would not be added.  NDSU doesn't have cheap sports to add on their women's side.  Lax needs better facilities for late winter and the Fargo Dome field isn't big enough to play in.  Swimming has a facility issue and so does tennis.  The cheapest route for them is probably women's synchronized skating, but where would they perform?  Gymnastics would work but there are few members.  Equestrian works but that sport seems on the way out.  Women's crew works but only after after the sewer ponds near NDSU melt in spring.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

It would probably be on the order of what St Cloud St and Mankato pay, under a mill, as goodies the UND men's team gets would not be added.  NDSU doesn't have cheap sports to add on their women's side.  Lax needs better facilities for late winter and the Fargo Dome field isn't big enough to play in.  Swimming has a facility issue and so does tennis.  The cheapest route for them is probably women's synchronized skating, but where would they perform?  Gymnastics would work but there are few members.  Equestrian works but that sport seems on the way out.  Women's crew works but only after after the sewer ponds near NDSU melt in spring.

I thought they had women's goat roping.