SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd say no.
It'll put more scrutiny on UND MBB playing the xDSUs and USD for six games a season. 

And I don't believe Jones will stand up to the scrutiny. 

Exactly. UND can now [finally] be directly compared to their regional rivals: NDSU, SDSU, and USD. If Jones can't put up positive results in those annual 6 games, then he should be axed. 

Of course, I prefer Jones not make it until 2018 unless he gets UND to the dance.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Sports94 said:

How do all of you jive-turkeys feel roasting Coach Jones for YEARS, and he now is going to win Big Sky coach of the year?   hm. 

First of all, he hasn't won anything yet. Anything less than a trip to The Dance (no, the CIT doesn't count) should not be sufficient to save his job.

Second of all, I want him to succeed because I want the program to succeed. If this team gets to The Dance, Jones should get a contract extension.

1 hour ago, Sports94 said:

How do all of you jive-turkeys feel roasting Coach Jones for YEARS, and he now is going to win Big Sky coach of the year?   hm. 

I feel like its been all valid. Tell me what Jones has done previous to this season? I hope he wins Big Sky coach of the year if it means winning the conference tournament and get this team dancing. 

On 2/12/2017 at 4:45 PM, zonadub said:

Getting a feeling of deja vu. Like where football was in 2011 

On 2/19/2017 at 9:39 PM, zonadub said:

Maybe the Hawks can win a first round (dare we hope for two?) game at the dance and Jones gets an offer from a mid-major.

we can always hope. :D

Highly doubtful due to open records law and ongoing budget issues, but Faison should be exploring possible coaching options, such as interest from the MSUM and USD coach. If there is no way a coach that would be considered an upgrade could be hired, then Jones should probably be extended. Of course, if Jones' team absolutely collapses with the remaining regular season games and/or the BSC tournament, then interest exploration post-Jones removal should probably be considered. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Maybe Jones having his back against the wall is what he needed. But doesn't hurt this is one of his top couple teams talent wise.

Jones has had his back against the wall the last 3-4 years - we just didn't pull the plug.  Had it not been for the budget crunch, he would have been gone after last season.