SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

Guys - we all know 44 is a buffoon so why don't you just ignore him. Going back and forth with him serves no purpose and is getting very old!!

i see your mom let you use her computer again...now is a good time for ladies like you to do us a favor and follow your own advice

• Downvote 7

34 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

At least its basketball posts unlike namecalling ones you are doing.

yeah ripping coaches make you feel better about your own life...i get that!   I did not call posters names other than genius...I am not crying about being called names by other posters...just calling out a few moronic posts 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

yeah ripping coaches make you feel better about your own life...i get that!   I did not call posters names other than genius...I am not crying about being called names by other posters...just calling out a few moronic posts 

Calling UND Fan a lady is only valid if the member was a woman. Do you know this as fact? 

• Downvote 1

We need a new coach. Absolutely can't double down on Jones for another 10 years, not even one more year. Jones has showed us his program.

Faison has to be preparing for a coaching change. How can this process be started before the season is over; so AD can be ready to hire shortly after season completion?

I cheer for UND to win every game, so don't get me wrong. If we happen to win most of the remaining games, that's great, but hopefully that's not a reason to keep Jones. We need a change to try and find the right guy.  After ten years like this, a coach doesn't turn the program around and have payoff teams the next ten years. Let's move on.

Unless you hire from within, there's usually some jet lag to a college sports program, when your x-coach flies out of town for the last time. So, let's soon get the process started and find a new coach.

• Upvote 3

One thing that really had hurt UND and Jones is his JUCO recruiting.  Since Big Sky play, the only one that has had semi-success was Traylor (and that was with half of his Junior year gone due to grades).  You had 2 people who busted, 3 people who left, and 1 TBD.  IIRC. That is a lot of misses for players that were expected to be contributors.  I know they can't all hit, but you can't miss them all.

I think if Jones had to do anything over again, it would have been the season after Huff and company left.  Had he done what he did in 15-16 and got the same result, he might be in the middle of a new contract. I wish he did too, I think Geno would have been a better option than De Rouen.

Getting transfers from other teams, he's done pretty good on and got some solid contributors

16 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

One thing that really had hurt UND and Jones is his JUCO recruiting.  Since Big Sky play, the only one that has had semi-success was Traylor (and that was with half of his Junior year gone due to grades).  You had 2 people who busted, 3 people who left, and 1 TBD.  IIRC. That is a lot of misses for players that were expected to be contributors.  I know they can't all hit, but you can't miss them all.

I think if Jones had to anything over again, it would have been the season after Huff and company left.  Had he done what he did in 15-16 and got the same result, he might be in the middle of a new contract. I wish he did too, I think Geno would have been a better option than De Rouen.

Getting transfers from other teams, he's done pretty good on and got some solid contributors

Baldwin has been solid. 

Regarding the Juco transfers, this goes way back to the DII days, but Emanuel Little and Earvin Youmens were excellent acquisitions.  I believe he snagged them his first year here........

All in all, I think Jones has been an excellent recruiter in his time here.  In my eyes, that is the one thing he is really good at so I give him credit for it.

And I am a Baldwin fan as well.......

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Regarding the Juco transfers, this goes way back to the DII days, but Emanuel Little and Earvin Youmens were excellent acquisitions.  I believe he snagged them his first year here........

All in all, I think Jones has been an excellent recruiter in his time here.

And I am a Baldwin fan as well.......

Excellent recruiter?  Geez.  What seems to be the problem then cause I am not seeing all these blue-chippers that you say he is trotting out there.  

You are what you're record says you are.  Coaching is only one part.

• Upvote 3

On 1/9/2017 at 9:04 PM, UND-1 said:

Excellent recruiter?  Geez.  What seems to be the problem then cause I am not seeing all these blue-chippers that you say he is trotting out there.  

You are what you're record says you are.  Coaching is only one part.

I totally agree that your record says what you are capable of.  But on the recruiting front, I don't think it is a stretch to say that Jones has probably brought in two of the ten best players (maybe even top 5, 6 or 7) ever to wear a UND uniform in Huff and Hooker.  That's what makes his lack of success so frustrating to me.

The problem with Rich Glas when he left IMO, was that he got lazy as a recruiter.  He is one heckuva a coach and motivator.  He would have had loads of success with the players that Jones has brought in over the years.

Thats my two cents anyways.............

5 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I totally agree that your record says what you are capable of.  But on the recruiting front, I don't think it is a stretch to say that Jones has probably brought in two of the ten best players (maybe even top 5, 6 or 7) ever to wear a UND uniform in Huff and Hooker.  That's what makes his lack of success so frustrating to me.

The problem with Rich Glas when he left IMO, was that he got lazy as a recruiter.  He is one heckuva a coach and motivator.  He would have had loads of success with the players that Jones has brought in over the years.

Thats my two cents anyways.............

Here a few players I could think of that did well at UND

Herman Watesek (Lankin) (34, 35, 36 UND)   37-42 NBL

Chuck Wolfe (Minot) (50 - 53 UND)  Minneapolis Lakers 53

Jon Haaven (McIntosh, MN) (55, 56, 57 ND) 1957 drafted Minneapolis Lakers

Phil Jackson (Williston) (65, 66, & 67 UND)   NBA NY Nicks

Chris Fahrbach (Menasha, WI) (76-79 UND) 1979 drafted Milwakee Bucks

Dan Clausen (Australia) (80, 81, 82 UND)   professional career in Turkey and Australia.

Scott Guldseth (Edingburg) early 90's

Dave Vonesh (EGF, MN) (89, 90, 91 UND)

Jerome Beasley (Compton, CA)  (02, 03 UND)    2003 Miami Heat

Something interesting to me, Since my freshman year '70 we have had only 3 MBB coaches.

17th Dave Gunther 1970–1987

18th Rich Glas 1988–2006

19th Brian Jones 2007- (????? 2017 ?????)