SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

21 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Something interesting to me, Since my freshman year '70 we have had only 3 MBB coaches.

17th Dave Gunther 1970–1987

18th Rich Glas 1988–2006

19th Brian Jones 2007- (????? 2017 ?????)

What's so weird is the sequence of coaches corresponds with their years at UND.  Maybe that means UND will go dancing this year.

“We are pretty evenly matched talent-wise,” Crandall said. “They are well coached, we’re well coached. After a couple of close games, it develops that type of feel where you want to give each other your best shot. I’m not mad at it – I love games like this.” Geno played for Dave Thorsen of Mpls. Delasalle former Gopher Asst. under Clem Haskins  ...and has won a record 5 state titles in Mn . and expected to make it 6 in a row.  ...What would he know about good coaching compared to lets say Darryl

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, hoops44 said:

“We are pretty evenly matched talent-wise,” Crandall said. “They are well coached, we’re well coached. After a couple of close games, it develops that type of feel where you want to give each other your best shot. I’m not mad at it – I love games like this.” Geno played for Dave Thorsen of Mpls. Delasalle former Gopher Asst. under Clem Haskins  ...and has won a record 5 state titles in Mn . and expected to make it 6 in a row.  ...What would he know about good coaching compared to lets say Darryl

or BarnWinterSportsEngelstad ?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Give me an example of a time in college sports (or any level) where a player openly criticized a coach and things ended well for the player.  

• Upvote 4

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:26 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Something interesting to me, Since my freshman year '70 we have had only 3 MBB coaches.

17th Dave Gunther 1970–1987                             332-177     .652

18th Rich Glas 1988–2006                                    335-175     .633

19th Brian Jones 2007- (????? 2017 ?????)        153-175     .466

BWSE - I have added the three coaches' records and winning %s.  It is interesting that Mr. Jones will surpass both Gunther and Glas in losses yet this year!  His teams would need to win 110 games straight for him to attain a winning % of .600.  Your thoughts on this, 44?  I would like your honest thoughts instead of name-calling, etc.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

BWSE - I have added the three coaches' records and winning %s.  It is interesting that Mr. Jones will surpass both Gunther and Glas in losses yet this year!  His teams would need to win 110 games straight for him to attain a winning % of .600.  Your thoughts on this, 44?  I would like your honest thoughts instead of name-calling, etc.  

chance.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

Not sticking up for Jones in any way but obtaining a winning% like the prior coaches was made very difficult transitioning into the D1 era and playing every year a very difficult non conference schedule.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NODAK13 said:

Not sticking up for Jones in any way but obtaining a winning% like the prior coaches was made very difficult transitioning into the D1 era and playing every year a very difficult non conference schedule.  

Other coaches at another D1 ND school had no problems getting a winning percentage, beating ranked teams, and even winning in the dance. Talk about in-state competition. 

19 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Lebron James...got a new coach when he complained.....Nobody asked Geno about the coach ..he volunteered the praise

He didn't mention a our head coach coaches well.  He said well coached, for all you and I know he is referring to the assistants.  

Also, LOL at the one example you can give is Lebron.  Very comparible to UND.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, homer said:

He didn't mention a our head coach coaches well.  He said well coached, for all you and I know he is referring to the assistants.  

Also, LOL at the one example you can give is Lebron.  Very comparible to UND.  

He does say that the only other coach that could ever replace Jones is Coach K, so we are right up there with Duke. 

34 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

He does say that the only other coach that could ever replace Jones is Coach K, so we are right up there with Duke. 

It actually makes the case greater that no player will publically criticize a coach (unless you are one of the best on the planet).  

Plus, there is no idea of what question was asked and if coaching was part of the question.  

5 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I was actually going to add their winning record on my initial post but I ran out of time, Thanks You.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Will the move to the Summit buy Jones more time?

I don't think the conference move will change the current situation

What happens this year will determine whether Jones makes it to the Summit or not. Unless of course he cashes in somewhere else if UND accomplishes its goals (make the NCAA tournament).  To me, he's either going to get a multi-year extension or nothing.

It would be unwise to give him another 1 year extension and have him coaching for another contract and go into a 2nd recruiting cycle that way.  Its why I had a problem with Faison this summer not giving him a 1 year extension.

If you ask me today what would happened I'd say Jones gets his extension.  Ask me again in March and I may or may not have a different answer 

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Will the move to the Summit buy Jones more time?

I was thinking the same thing, however we still have another full season in the Big Sky before we move so I think that doesn't buy him more time. If we were to move to the SL next season he could be put into the boat that Mussman got going from the GWFC to the Big Sky to see how we do with a new conference. So unless we are dancing this year I don't see him in the Summit League.