SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I have always wondered how the entire situation would be if the Ralph went all in on the name and logo.  Putting the logo at center ice, hanging Fighting Hawk banners in the concourse, replacing the outdoor neon with the Fighting Hawk logo, waiting to update the locker room so the new logo could be integrated in the upgrade, etc.  Yes the pushback from the vocal Hawk haters would be loud at first.  But eventually, that would die down.  There will be a day shortly after 2030 where this will all happen. So why wait until then.  Delaying the inevitable seems counter productive.  I will say it again, but it is more than unfortunate that the entity with the biggest influence chooses to go against the wishes of the University of North Dakota, the school the arena was meaning to benefit from the beginning.

Pro teams periodically update their logo. Why can’t the current Fighting Hawks logo get an upgrade 2-3 years from now? Dumb idea? God forbid, we spend another $50K on a “new” design. 

$50K for the current logo. $2K for the BB Sioux logo. 2018, gawd, what a time to be alive! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Pro teams periodically update their logo. Why can’t the current Fighting Hawks logo get an upgrade 2-3 years from now? Dumb idea? God forbid, we spend another $50K on a “new” design. 

$50K for the current logo. $2K for the BB Sioux logo. 2018, gawd, what a time to be alive! 

Did the Blackhawk logo last 2-3 years at UND? The Geometric logo? The BB Sioux logo? Funny how all those Sioux logos were displayed for a minimum 10 years. 

13 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Did the Blackhawk logo last 2-3 years at UND? The Geometric logo? The BB Sioux logo? Funny how all those Sioux logos were displayed for a minimum 10 years. 

:ohmy: Not funny at all. Those “3” logos were all tremendous. The Geometric logo did not face the current bashing of The Fighting Hawks logo. A good analogy, you’re comparing an amazing pro or college logo to a dumpster fire elementary school logo. Best way I can describe today. Ha!!

With that said, I don’t understand your witty remarks. 

11 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

:ohmy: Not funny at all. Those “3” logos were all tremendous. The Geometic logo did not face the current bashing of The Fighting Hawks logo. A good analogy, you’re comparing an amazing pro or college logo to a dumpster fire elementary school. Best way I can describe today. Ha!!

With that said, I don’t understand your witty remarks. 

Whose trying to be funny, it’s a dumb idea. You think it only costs $50k for a new logo. What about rebranding of the new logo. Removing the current logo off of the IPF, Alerus and throughout campus. I don’t think the school has money to throw around new logos every 5-10 years. 

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Whose trying to be funny, it’s a dumb idea. You think it only costs $50k for a new logo. What about rebranding of the new logo. Removing the current logo off of the IPF, Alerus and throughout campus. I don’t think the school has money to throw around new logos every 5-10 years. 

Surely you can do better. Seems like a fixed mindset. I challenge you to have a growth mindset. Current status on many things in life, can always get/be better. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Do I love the new nickname? It's what you get when you have to order 1 pizza flavor for 10 people

Do I love the new logo? Honestly, more than the name. It's simple, smooth, and clean. And it's the best you can do with that nickname. 

What do I love most of the combo? No "talking points letters' from folks in Boulder this Thanksgiving. That does make me happy. 

But here's the best:
Ben Brien has put that "broken beak" logo into the public domain. No way in < bleep > UND ever touches it now. It can no longer be registered as a trademark. No trademark, no rights money. ... Whups. 

perhaps Fighting Pepperonis would've been more palatable.  I'll show myself out.  

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Thanks for your work/photoshop skills. Greatly appreciated!

1. Can you remove the “triangle” shape below the eye? It looks like a tear. I have edited this logo without it and it looks much better. 

It reminds me of all the lunatic rappers these days with face tattoos spewing out garbage regarding prescritpion drugs etc. Rap music in 2018 these days! Good grief! 2Pac is rolling over in his grave...

*Final comment, my own opionion, what would this logo look like with a more roudned beak? I’m super curious. 

If you have some free time over this holiday week, would love to see those edits.  

Thank you for the comments.  Removing the triangle would be alright.  Most have seen the silhouette of the Sioux logo in the negative space of the feathers on the back.  To your "final point", however, the jagged edge of the beak is actually a face (nostril is the eye) and the rest of the head of the bird is the headdress of the man.  It's two Sioux heads in one.  So, I would I disagree with having a rounded beak for that reason as it's design was very purposeful.

Everyone I've shown Brien's new Hawk logo to think it's awesome.  I know that doesn't mean everyone will love it, but I've never heard one good comment about our current logo from many dozens of people, yet haven't heard one negative comment about this one.  It's a small sample size but I'm just sharing my experience.  I personally think it's great as well and pays homage to the past will still looking towards the future.  The current Hawk logo in use by the university is a jarring change from the past with little character to build from for the future.  It's just a logo, nothing more.  UND fans are used to having a logo that has pride and meaning beyond just being a logo.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Thank you for the comments.  Removing the triangle would be alright.  Most have seen the silhouette of the Sioux logo in the negative space of the feathers on the back.  To your "final point", however, the jagged edge of the beak is actually a face (nostril is the eye) and the rest of the head of the bird is the headdress of the man.  It's two Sioux heads in one.  So, I would I disagree with having a rounded beak for that reason as it's design was very purposeful.

Everyone I've shown Brien's new Hawk logo to think it's awesome.  I know that doesn't mean everyone will love it, but I've never heard one good comment about our current logo from many dozens of people, yet haven't heard one negative comment about this one.  It's a small sample size but I'm just sharing my experience.  I personally think it's great as well and pays homage to the past will still looking towards the future.  The current Hawk logo in use by the university is a jarring change from the past with little character to build from for the future.  It's just a logo, nothing more.  UND fans are used to having a logo that has pride and meaning beyond just being a logo.

Well-said. Love it! 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

How’s this for a negative comment. That new Brien logo sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

How’s this for a negative comment. That new Brien logo sucks.

I'm ok with your opinion and respect it.  Not everyone is going to love everything.  I think your point was already well-established, so not sure what you're trying to add.

10 hours ago, Big A HG said:

... the jagged edge of the beak is actually a face (nostril is the eye) and the rest of the head of the bird is the headdress of the man.  It's two Sioux heads in one. 

And now it's dead. 

Why?
Someone just admitted it's a human in a headdress. <-- Fails the NCAA test

Boom.
Done. 

15 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Apples and Oranges. These are all vastly superior to the current mess of a logo we have.

• Upvote 2

So looking at both the Fighting Hawks logo and the geometric Sioux logo, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they are very similar.  Obviously they are depicting different things, but both are clean, basic logos that are easy to use in a multiple of applications.  Logos at schools (and pro teams) evolve over the years.  Has happened over the years at UND, and will happen again.  So maybe the current Fighting Hawks logo is like the geometric Sioux logo.  It is good, not great logo that is simple, and is a predecessor for a wildly poplar logo to be adopted 25 years later!! :wink: (well....maybe sooner)   

compare.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

But you've read a bunch of them here long before that statement. 

I specifically stated my inference to people whom I showed the image to, which included no one from this thread at the time of writing.  So, I'm a bit perplexed as to what the point of your comment is.  If there's something I'm missing you would like to discuss, I'd be happy to.