SiouxSports.com Forum

41 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Last season, after the big win against Wyoming, the Potato Bowl vs. Drake drew a relatively low number of 9,865 to the game. 

I would love to 11,000+ at this season's home opener/Potato Bowl; however, I'll be a bit more modest in my predictions until I see proof that UND football is catching on in popularity around Grand Forks (UND marketing/in-game productions and Alerus Center can go a long way to improve this, as well -- music, music, music !!!).

I predict 10,000 to 10,500 at the Potato Bowl game due to the regional opponent (South Dakota) and UND football's consistent marketing this summer. 

Games against USD are well attended. If say worth an extra 1500 over Drake. If we're 2-0 it should be a very nice crowd and a very big tailgate.

I have never been to a game in Grand Forks, but am considering making the trip this year.  Would appreciate any recommendations for places to stay, to partake of a pregame beverage or 2, etc.  Would love to see both teams undefeated heading into the game.  The Yotes go on the road in week 1 to New Mexico and host Weber State in week 2.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, goyotes said:

I have never been to a game in Grand Forks, but am considering making the trip this year.  Would appreciate any recommendations for places to stay, to partake of a pregame beverage or 2, etc.  Would love to see both teams undefeated heading into the game.  The Yotes go on the road in week 1 to New Mexico and host Weber State in week 2.

I would stay at the CanadInn that is connected to the Alerus Center. Solid restaurants and a water park for the kiddos. You an also tailgate and not have to drive anywhere.

1 hour ago, the green team said:

I don't give a rip about music and video boards and when we won national title, it's not like we were taking the field with the lights off.  People came because the team was dominant and was doing special things.  Bells and whistles are just that.  The biggest thing that will affect attendance will be having success.  And now having been to Missoula last year and having seen what supposedly all these other schools do...and supposedly a good one at that.  I didn't see them doing too much different than what we do, with maybe the exception of a horse taking a big steaming dump on the field before the opening kick off.  I'm not sure if that is in Montana's marketing plans or not...but it happened.  They did nearly the same silly games, walked out people for acknowledgement at the same times and piped in nearly the same music at the same times.  It seemed to be pretty much the stock college football show that is out there now days.   Again, I didn't make noise on every 1st, 2nd and 3rd down against UC Davis on Dec. 1 2001 because I was told to, or prompted to.  I did it because I was into it, and so did those who were around me.    

Good point in terms of winning, which I absolutely do not deny. With that said, I won't be backed into a corner and admit that UND and the Alerus Center are doing everything peachy perfect in terms of the presentation and in-game features. There's always room for improvement in that department, especially in the Alerus Center, in my opinion. 

I'm happy that you are of the opinion that you will attend and cheer for UND irregardless of the bells and whistles, because that is the same way I look at supporting the University of North Dakota football program. However, it is not just about people like us; the casual fans need to also be considered if we want the overall attendance numbers to increase. 

32 minutes ago, goyotes said:

Any hotel along 42nd street would be fine, as they are all an easy walk to the Alerus Center. 

36 minutes ago, goyotes said:

2 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Any hotel along 42nd street would be fine, as they are all an easy walk to the Alerus Center. 

The Canad Inn (https://www.canadinns.com/stay/grand-forks/home/) -- which is attached to the Alerus Center -- is always a great choice because it eliminates driving (restaurant, bar, tailgating, game all right there). 

Other hotels near the Alerus Center include, but are not limited to:

Sleep Inn & Suites (https://www.choicehotels.com/north-dakota/grand-forks/sleep-inn-hotels/nd052?source=pmfgosil&pmf=GOOGLE&k_clickid=f93ac9df-8c44-4b82-8cae-caf64810ec3d)

Baymont Inn & Suites (https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/baymont/grand-forks-north-dakota/baymont-inn-and-suites-grand-forks/overview)

Staybridge Suites (http://www.ihg.com/staybridge/hotels/us/en/grand-forks/gfksb/hoteldetail)

My Place Hotel (http://www.hotelsone.com/grand-forks-hotels-us/my-place-hotel-grand-forks.html?as=g&aid=112804211078&dsti=480075&dstt=8&label=bh480075&akw=my place hotel grand forks&asrc=Search&ast=_my place hotel grand forks&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwry8BRDjsbjMpPSDvagBEiQA5oW0nMYHNhh4-PcB03_TnMzOrZGDaxo0sMuV_NMoEw1OaV4aAnWt8P8HAQ)

Should be a fun game, hope you can make the trip. 

48 minutes ago, goyotes said:

I'll echo what others have said. The CanadInn is attached to the Alerus Center and if you have kids, there is a pretty good sized waterpark. Also a couple restaurants/bars within the building but there are about 4-5 other hotels within easy walking distance that are probably have a little lower rate. Weather should be pretty nice for the game, and being the first home game and Potato Bowl, tailgating should be a good crowd. Lots will (officially) open at 11am. A lot of the family stuff (Tailgate Village) will start around 1:30. Come early, walk around and say hi, there won't be a shortage of food or beverages.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Good point in terms of winning, which I absolutely do not deny. With that said, I won't be backed into a corner and admit that UND and the Alerus Center are doing everything peachy perfect in terms of the presentation and in-game features. There's always room for improvement in that department, especially in the Alerus Center, in my opinion. 

I'm happy that you are of the opinion that you will attend and cheer for UND irregardless of the bells and whistles, because that is the same way I look at supporting the University of North Dakota football program. However, it is not just about people like us; the casual fans need to also be considered if we want the overall attendance numbers to increase. 

You make an excellent point about the casual fan.   The reason you want to see improvment in those areas makes sense.  Anway, my lack of appreciation for the bells and whistles probably just means I'm getting old. Lol

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There is also a La Quinta in that hotel grouping by the Alerus.  Pretty much all of these hotels are new within the last 10 years and are an easy walk to the game.  One warning, assuming it's anything like the other "My Place Hotels" that have been thrown together throughout ND, I'd probably avoid that one in Grand Forks.

Others that are a farther walk or a simple short drive include the Hilton Garden Inn, Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn & Suites, and Country Inn & Suites.  These are all relatively newer/nicer (see: clean) hotels as well.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

There is also a La Quinta in that hotel grouping by the Alerus.  Pretty much all of these hotels are new within the last 10 years and are an easy walk to the game.  One warning, assuming it's anything like the other "My Place Hotels" that have been thrown together throughout ND, I'd probably avoid that one in Grand Forks.

Others that are a farther walk or a simple short drive include the Hilton Garden Inn, Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn & Suites, and Country Inn & Suites.  These are all relatively newer/nicer (see: clean) hotels as well.

The my place is grand forks is pretty new and nice inside. I would stay there anytime especially because their rates are affordable.

3 hours ago, goyotes said:

Don't be shy at the tailgate. It's good to party with opposing fans to rip back and forth on. It's all about making it fun and not because of hatred like those turds to the south.

hope you can make it up!

8 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The my place is grand forks is pretty new and nice inside. I would stay there anytime especially because their rates are affordable.

K, maybe being farther from the oil fields has saved it.  I've heard horror stories about the My Place Hotels in Bismarck, Minot, and Dickinson.

6 hours ago, goyotes said:

Could you fill us in on your team and the outlook for this coming season?

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Last season, after the big win against Wyoming, the Potato Bowl vs. Drake drew a relatively low number of 9,865 to the game. 

I would love to see 11,000+ at this season's home opener/Potato Bowl; however, I'll be a bit more modest in my predictions until I see proof that UND football is catching on in popularity around Grand Forks (UND marketing/in-game productions and Alerus Center can go a long way to improve this, as well -- music, music, music !!!).

I predict 10,000 to 10,500 at the Potato Bowl game due to the regional opponent (South Dakota) and UND football's consistent marketing this summer. 

South Dakota should bring in more fans than a team like Drake or anyone outside of the region, plus going 2-0 and beating an FBS team two years straight will only increase the hype and excitement more than it already is. Also the scores of those games could be a factor, blowing out Stony Brook in Long Island and blowing out Bowling Green would absolutely blow the roof off the Alerus. No matter how many people are in the stands (I will be there) let's all hope UND is sitting at 2-0 going into that game.

12 hours ago, 77iceman said:

I didn't read this as a negative post . . . i pretty much agree.  "those fans" he's referring to would be cross-over fans, and I doubt there are that many, and of those, probably not too many of them really go to games in person, anyway.

It was not meant as negative. I don't think any UND fans would come to NDSU games when UND is out of town either, How many UND hockey fans, when UND has an off week, say "I'm going to drive to Bemidji to see the Beavers take on Ferris State"? My guess is not many. Same for FB fans of both teams. Some people are trying really hard to find smack where there is none.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

It was not meant as negative. I don't think any UND fans would come to NDSU games when UND is out of town either, How many UND hockey fans, when UND has an off week, say "I'm going to drive to Bemidji to see the Beavers take on Ferris State"? My guess is not many. Same for FB fans of both teams. Some people are trying really hard to find smack where there is none.

Im not sure there is a good parallel

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Could you fill us in on your team and the outlook for this coming season?

Thanks for all the info regarding places to stay, etc.  Trying to get a group put together to leave early Saturday AM to arrive in Grand Forks in plenty of time to partake of the pregame festiviites and likely spend the evening in Grand Forks before heading back on Sunday.

With regards to what to expect from the Yotes, I don't follow the roster close enough to give much detail.  The obvious will be how well the Yotes transition to the coaching staff and the new hurry up offense.  Most of the skilled positions return on offense along with most of the defensive backfield.  Question marks will be both the offensive and defensive lines.  

12 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I don't think you understand the concept of bandwagon fans, especially of the UND hockey/NDSU football type. 

I know of several "NDSU fans" (purely bandwagon) who could possibly be in attendance for the UND Potato Bowl vs USD because of the potential UND hype and NDSU being out of town. These are the same "NDSU fans" that I saw at UND football games regularly before NDSU's current championship run starting in 2011. By no means am I clamining that I know exactly what the masses will do (that's why I am just estimating a wide range of possibilities in terms of Potato Bowl attendance); however, I do know bandwagon, casual fans exist and it is not synonymous with the UND hockey/Bemidji State hockey example you provided ....

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, goyotes said:

Thanks for all the info regarding places to stay, etc.  Trying to get a group put together to leave early Saturday AM to arrive in Grand Forks in plenty of time to partake of the pregame festiviites and likely spend the evening in Grand Forks before heading back on Sunday.

With regards to what to expect from the Yotes, I don't follow the roster close enough to give much detail.  The obvious will be how well the Yotes transition to the coaching staff and the new hurry up offense.  Most of the skilled positions return on offense along with most of the defensive backfield.  Question marks will be both the offensive and defensive lines.  

The LaQuinta and Baymount hotels are both build within the last 2 years. The Baymont has a 1000 Degrees Pizzeria in it that is alot better but similar concept to Red Rosa in Sioux Falls, actually may be more similar to Toppers, or those others quick build your own pizza places in SF, not sure if Vermillion has anything similar. The Hilton Garden Inn is very nice and is attached by skyways to some UND buildings. 

Some recommendations for food, yet being a poor college student that hasn't experienced alot here yet:

Breakfast: Darcy's for a sit down; Tim Hortons for a donut and coffee

Lunch: Grand Junction: Grilled subs made fresh in front you you(meat is grilled on the spot)

1000 Degrees Pizzeria

Speedway? I believe they are open for lunch, I had great burgers there

Late Night: Red Pepper - If you enjoyed a few brewskis at the Game or post game you may be like the college students who love going here at night

Others:

The Tavern - in Canad Inn

L'Bistro - In Canad Inn

Parrots Cay - South east portion of Grand Forks, 10-15 min from Alerus Center

There are many others local and plenty of chain restaurants in Texas Roadhouse, Applebees, BWW, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc.

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I've actually went to a bemidji game with my buddy on an off week, so at least two.