SiouxSports.com Forum

ArchyAlum11

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I believe Kelley had a committee to decide which committee would hand him Toilet Paper after a committee told him it was time for him to do 

Kelly was #2

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The Committee was presented with thousands of public suggestions, and (after scrubbing for vulgarity and other formalities) it was the Committee that -- very publicly -- winnowed the list down to the finalists.  Are you suggesting that the Committee was steered in a particular direction by someone and if so, based on what information?  The hired "facilitator" (or whatever term was used) didn't have a vote.

Yes, the consultant hired to provide (was it marketing advice?) suggested that some version of "hawks" is a very marketable and safe option, and if I recall correctly argued some other options posed some.........difficulties (Roughriders, etc.).

17 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

No nickname would have been an interesting outcome for a committee empaneled solely for the purpose of selecting a nickname..............

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

On June 3, 2016 at 3:34 PM, GeauxSioux said:

I still have heartburn that my suggestion, Arrows, was dumped because it was considered "Native American Imagery".  Never mind that arrows date back thousands of years and over multiple continents and cultures.

As I told you it would.  Unfortunately, that's the world we live in these days.  

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:54 AM, dagies said:

Yes, the consultant hired to provide (was it marketing advice?) suggested that some version of "hawks" is a very marketable and safe option, and if I recall correctly argued some other options posed some.........difficulties (Roughriders, etc.).

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

I believe that they took Nokota off the list also - advising against it....

3 hours ago, FSSD said:

I believe that they took Nokota off the list also - advising against it....

People who did not know the difference between a Nokota feral horse and the Nakota Native Americans made a decision based on their own ignorance. Does that sound like any other group you have heard of, for example, one that arbitrarily sets rules that apply to one 'small' school but not several other large revenue sources?

8 hours ago, zonadub said:

People who did not know the difference between a Nokota feral horse and the Nakota Native Americans made a decision based on their own ignorance. Does that sound like any other group you have heard of, for example, one that arbitrarily sets rules that apply to one 'small' school but not several other large revenue sources?

9314cf7d3532726277cc02e0949c6915109e4073

Nokota was the original name I submitted in that part of the process.  "Charging Nokota made it through a few cuts, but was cut for the above idiotic reason mentioned above.  Sad that a word that sounds like a native american name is deemed offensive to the ultra sensitive, PC crowd.  Nokota met every criteria initially laid out by the nickname committee, specifically being unique and having "North Dakota" roots to it.   

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Nokota was the original name I submitted in that part of the process.  "Charging Nokota made it through a few cuts, but was cut for the above idiotic reason mentioned above.  Sad that a word that sounds like a native american name is deemed offensive to the ultra sensitive, PC crowd.  Nokota met every criteria initially laid out by the nickname committee, specifically being unique and having "North Dakota" roots to it.   

Obviously it made too much sense. God forbid we get a nickname that actually meets the criteria the committee laid out.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2016 at 9:58 AM, darell1976 said:

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Obviously it made too much sense. God forbid we get a nickname that actually meets the criteria the committee laid out.

So do you think if "Nokota" would have been chosen internally, without public input, the masses would have been more willing to move on? 

33 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

So do you think if "Nokota" would have been chosen internally, without public input, the masses would have been more willing to move on? 

The process they initially lad out was fine.  Unfortunately the committee completely ignored the criteria that they laid out at the beginning.  a name that represented the state of North Dakota specifically and being unique.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wait . . . "Dakota" itself is derived from Native American origins, yes?  Better change the name of the state then, too.

I still believe there is some kind of conspiracy behind this whole nickname deal. From the get go they stated most Native American names get switched to a bird name. They had just North Dakota on the list saying it's a possibility. Everyone was excited about keeping just ND. Kelley dashed their hopes. But Nodaks was still on the list, which yes it's boring, but closest thing to not choosing a new name. Everyone seemed to be behind that name. The hockey crowd was really supporting it, from Berry, to the players, to the students at the hockey games having a giant Nodak Nation flag. Seemed like everyone was going to choose Nodaks. Then that was eliminated by the vote. Which seemed odd. Now, take this with a grain of salt, but just a thought. I feel like Kelley made a compromise being he got a new name, the Hawks, but to make everyone happy we'll throw Fighting in front of it. It's just an idea. But it kinda makes you wonder. 

5 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I still believe there is some kind of conspiracy behind this whole nickname deal. From the get go they stated most Native American names get switched to a bird name. They had just North Dakota on the list saying it's a possibility. Everyone was excited about keeping just ND. Kelley dashed their hopes. But Nodaks was still on the list, which yes it's boring, but closest thing to not choosing a new name. Everyone seemed to be behind that name. The hockey crowd was really supporting it, from Berry, to the players, to the students at the hockey games having a giant Nodak Nation flag. Seemed like everyone was going to choose Nodaks. Then that was eliminated by the vote. Which seemed odd. Now, take this with a grain of salt, but just a thought. I feel like Kelley made a compromise being he got a new name, the Hawks, but to make everyone happy we'll throw Fighting in front of it. It's just an idea. But it kinda makes you wonder. 

Everyone was excited about staying "North Dakota"?  I believe we have covered this to death.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:39 PM, ericpnelson said:

my wolves was thrown out, I assumed, because we didn't want to be a generic animal... little did I know I should have suggested fighting wolves 

I had also suggested Direwolves (I suggested a lot of things).

12 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Nodak Nation is the name of the UND student fan group, and has been since the Fighting Sioux name was dropped. That's why they have a Nodak Nation flag.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

So do you think if "Nokota" would have been chosen internally, without public input, the masses would have been more willing to move on? 

Good question.  I'd also be interested to know if those who abhorred the idea of "Nodaks" for its apparent redundancy feel the same way about "Nokotas"

NOrth DAKota / NOrth daKOTA

Personally, I like both, and especially when compared to Fighting Hawks.  If there was ever anything redundant about this process it was the decision to adopt the "Hawk" moniker for yet another college sports team. 

2 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

If there was ever anything redundant about this process it was the decision to adopt the "Hawk" moniker for yet another college sports team. 

We are just 1 of a whole flock of hawks out there.  I'm still pissed.

On June 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Be careful. Ed's father Harold was the guy that started Medora and selling the TR/Roughriders imagery of the State. Ed might have come out with something I lobbied for (and that "Abe Vigoda" didn't like). ;)

Ed wanted Fighting Elephants, for some reason. 

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Maybe, tough to say. The way it was dragged out made people pissed off, even those in favor of a new name. At least Nokota would have more closely met the criteria that the committee laid out, which imo would be an improvement and given some legitimacy to the process.