SiouxSports.com Forum

Things to do in GF

GeauxSioux

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You mean like ignore them so they can be ushered out of town safely instead of having 100+ people show up, turn the whole thing into a spectacle that causes the end result of the animal being put down? And I've seen tons of deer in town and not once heard of one being euthanized so I'm not sure why that's being tossed out there. Little bit of a difference between a bear and deer, one is a legitimate public safety hazard, the other might run into a car.

My point is that the city does not know how to deal with situations like this. They were making it up as they go along. Either tranquilize the bear or shoot it dead. Have the necessary equipment and supplies on hand so we can deal with it properly next time. It should never have dragged on as long as it did. And people should give the authorities a wide berth to deal with things like this. Generally, bears don't want anything to do with humans, but they can and will lash out if they feel cornered or threatened.

39 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just annoyed by the fake outrage.   I wonder what the reaction would have been had the bear mauled and kid a small child!!  

This is the precise reason people shouldn't gather like they did and gawk at the situation. Wild animals are capable of anything, especially if they feel cornered.

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My point is that the city does not know how to deal with situations like this. They were making it up as they go along. Either tranquilize the bear or shoot it dead. Have the necessary equipment and supplies on hand so we can deal with it properly next time. It should never have dragged on as long as it did. And people should give the authorities a wide berth to deal with things like this. Generally, bears don't want anything to do with humans, but they can and will lash out if they feel cornered or threatened.

Per the Herald: Officers don’t carry animal tranquilizers because the medications require specific licensing and training. Seems like an unneeded expense for something that maybe happens every couple years at most.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of "plan" you want them to have. They have 3 options (shoo, sedate or shoot) and have to weigh each situation as it goes. It went on as long as it did because they tried remove it on its own accord, which is the obvious first option even if it takes some time. They were unable to do that because of the crowd of people that basically treed the bear and kept it there. When that didn't work, they needed to find someone that had the proper sedatives, which didn't work, so they had to call someone from the Fargo zoo that had the right mixture. And again, because of the crowds, they needed to be overly cautious so that it didn't attack someone while the sedative kicked in. The outrage if they would have flat out shot it without trying to save it would have been over the top, but I guess that would have saved everyone some time. :silly:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Per the Herald: Officers don’t carry animal tranquilizers because the medications require specific licensing and training. Seems like an unneeded expense for something that maybe happens every couple years at most.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of "plan" you want them to have. They have 3 options (shoo, sedate or shoot) and have to weigh each situation as it goes. It went on as long as it did because they tried remove it on its own accord, which is the obvious first option even if it takes some time. They were unable to do that because of the crowd of people that basically treed the bear and kept it there. When that didn't work, they needed to find someone that had the proper sedatives, which didn't work, so they had to call someone from the Fargo zoo that had the right mixture. And again, because of the crowds, they needed to be overly cautious so that it didn't attack someone while the sedative kicked in. The outrage if they would have flat out shot it without trying to save it would have been over the top, but I guess that would have saved everyone some time. :silly:

A good explanation of what happened..... although you should have typed a little slower for some.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just annoyed by the fake outrage.   I wonder what the reaction would have been had the bear mauled and kid a small child!!  

Sheesh, the mauling would be bad enough....but then if the bear followed it up by cracking some jokes at the poor tot's expense...well, that would just be inexcusable. 

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 8:57 PM, nodak651 said:

Anyone here like mountain bike riding?  Curious if anyone has ever tried to get permission to build a single track trail along the Greenway?  The sloping hillside of the Greenway could make for a very scenic and fun trail.

That would be cool.

There's some really nice mountain biking trails 20 miles away at Turtle River State Park.

13 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Paintball field. 

Cheap. One cost cost. No maintenance.

Why isn't that more of a thing?

We have skateparks, dog parks, BMX track, Frisbee golf courses, numerous swimming pools, ice rinks.

It's time for the city to build one.

I was thinking about that the other day.  It's too bad the sport died off so much.  Was even on espn for a time.. An indoor field in gf would be nice in the winter.  Outdoor would be nice as well.  Cost is a factor now though. Paint is really expensive.  Cost for playing a day is probably similar to a golf outing.  I've heard a lot of fields have been closing down over the past decade or so.  Business/event outings for paintball still seem to be somewhat popular, but I've heard open play numbers are just bad.  High school and college kids would rather play video games or are in demanding sports or working it seems.

Maybe it could work with all the college kids we have, perhaps there's enough that would be looking for something to do.  

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I was thinking about that the other day.  It's too bad the sport died off so much.  Was even on espn for a time.. An indoor field in gf would be nice in the winter.  Outdoor would be nice as well.  Cost is a factor now though. Paint is really expensive.  Cost for playing a day is probably similar to a golf outing.  I've heard a lot of fields have been closing down over the past decade or so.  Business/event outings for paintball still seem to be somewhat popular, but I've heard open play numbers are just bad.  High school and college kids would rather play video games or are in demanding sports or working it seems.

Maybe it could work with all the college kids we have, perhaps there's enough that would be looking for something to do.  

I'm not talking a business venture. 

Just a field (the greenway, edge of town, etc) that is enclosed (keep the splattering paint limited) and the size of a football/soccer field and obstacles (haybails. Old farm equipment, few wooden walls) where people can get together to play.

Cost is virtually zero....or the same as the white combines by speedway restaurant.....or 10x less than the new rocks in front of the Alerus.

Right now if you and your friends live in GF and all have paintball guns. Where do you go to play?

Cities do that will all sorts of other activities.

They provide the venue. Players provide the rest:

Baseball diamonds. Basketball courts. Tennis courts. Pickleball! Volleyball. Soccer fields. Ice hockey rinks. Disc golf course. I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

On 9/22/2021 at 8:57 PM, nodak651 said:

Anyone here like mountain bike riding?  Curious if anyone has ever tried to get permission to build a single track trail along the Greenway?  The sloping hillside of the Greenway could make for a very scenic and fun trail.

Ever get to Jamestown we have some nice ones here 

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8009676/jamestown

Looks like the Hugo's Concert series is back this summer.  They've announce three of the four concerts.

May 7th:  PopRocks

July 9th: Travis Tritt and Rodney Atkins

July 21st: Johnny Holm

August 12th: TBA

Throw in the country bands for Rockin up North Fest (Little Texas, Blackhawk) and 90's country music fans should be happy.

Now to see the lineup for the Greenway Takeover Festival. 

It's nice to have live music shows returning to downtown GF.  I do miss the Blues on the Red and concerts in the garden at the ND Museum of Art.  Hopefully they both come back soon.

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

New indoor place NOW OPEN too called PlayIT - next to Aldi - a couple indoor BB courts, batting cages, golf sims, billiard tables, ping-pong and other table games...a nice compliment to Northern Air with different options.   Future plans include a restaurant in-house too. 

https://www.playit.center/

Seems like pretty affordable memberships as well

• 8 months later...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/grand-forks-city-council-park-board-discuss-costs-associated-with-proposed-recreational-facilities

I don't get it.

They want to extend the Alerus Center tax another 30 years. Which of course would essentially buy another Alerus Center. 

But this one seems very boring. 

Just more of the same stuff from around town just under one roof.

Like I could think of 80 million better things to build than more volleyball courts and a swimming pool.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Alerus Center costs $80 million to build.

The sales tax to build it is for 30 years....that tax brings in $10 million a year.

You couldn't build Alerus today for under $150M I suspect. 

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You couldn't build Alerus today for under $150M I suspect. 

Yes that's how inflation works. Prices double every 20-25 years.

The tax will be worth $20+ million a year in 20-25 years.

If you have the same amount of tax for the same amount of time you should get an equivalent. 

Feels like the Legacy Fund, "there's some money coming in what do you want to spend it on so we don't have to give it back." 

Seems like there's always a vote for a new tax. Literally just finished the new school tax vote. Was hoping that new road tax would make some sort of difference. Money probably accidently ended up in another department. :)

Now we need more volleyball and tennis nets. It's like they ain't even trying.

• Like 1