SiouxSports.com Forum

Best 4 Year Player Ever

Cratter

You wanna be a Legend at UND?!

Accomplish great feats that are rarely done:

Win a championship.

Get an impressive individual award (Hobey, Frozen Four MOP, etc).

And show your committed to the program by staying awhile (watching them on senior night is preferred.)

I became a Sioux fan when I moved to Grand Forks in 2005, so I don't really know about a lot of the players in the past, but what I've seen I can narrow it down to-

Forwards- Matt Frattin, Ryan Duncan, Caggiula 

Defensemen- Chay Genoway, Ben Blood

Goalie- Eidsness

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Isn't there a former players topic open? If people come into this thread to check on early departures and your discussing who were the best four year players. Let's stay on topic.

Man, it sure is hard to scroll past a post that you don't think is pertinent, isn't it?

Sometimes conversations go in tangents. Do check for these in your normal day-to-day?

:silly:

1 hour ago, KoolGuy2K said:

I became a Sioux fan when I moved to Grand Forks in 2005, so I don't really know about a lot of the players in the past, but what I've seen I can narrow it down to-

Goalie- Eidsness

Eidsness was trash. He was the achilles heel for some good teams.

Goalie- Eidsness

Greatest name of all time: Ben Blood, Miroslav Satan

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

You wanna be a Legend at UND?!

Accomplish great feats that are rarely done:

Win a championship.

Get an impressive individual award (Hobey, Frozen Four MOP, etc).

And show your committed to the program by staying awhile (watching them on senior night is preferred.)

Eligible would be Caggs for sure.  Other maybe's (based upon this criteria) are Panzer, Goren, Eades?

Goalie- Eidsness

Eids seemed like a great guy and pretty smart to boot, but he was out of position more times than I care to remember. Then he lost his spot to Dell so definitely wouldn't include him.

Also, Blood could really punish guys but don't think he fits either. Just my opinion though!

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, it sure is hard to scroll past a post that you don't think is pertinent, isn't it?

Sometimes conversations go in tangents. Do check for these in your normal day-to-day?

:silly:

2 pages worth?

44 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Your first sentence is a little harsh but his debacle vs UNH in the regional (2009) sums up his career.

• Upvote 2

Mark Taylor, as mentioned above.  And that's really the end of the thread, in my opinion if talking all time.  For sure would have been our first Hobey in 1980 if it didn't start the following year in 1981 I would imagine.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Eids seemed like a great guy and pretty smart to boot, but he was out of position more times than I care to remember. Then he lost his spot to Dell so definitely wouldn't include him.

Also, Blood could really punish guys but don't think he fits either. Just my opinion though!

I agree Eidsness was not the best, pretty sure he gave up a short handed hat trick to a Mankato player. I was giving the best "4 year" player for each position, since 2005 when I started watching. I think only Eidsness and JP Lamoureux were starters that stayed  the full 4 years. 

6 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Gotta go with Caggs followed by Mark Taylor and Greg Johnson

Don't get me wrong.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching Drake play at UND.  But I'm not sure he's even in my top 5 all-time UND players who stuck around four years.

Yes, he won a championship.  But so did guys like Taylor, Sykes, and Panzer, just to list a couple.

I would take Mark Taylor, Greg Johnson, Phil Sykes, Dixon Ward and Jeff Panzer over Drake.  That's no disrespect to him.  Those were some great players.

Greg Johnson was a three time Hobey finalist.  Think about that.  Phil Sykes was named one of the fifty greatest NCAA tournament players of all time.  Taylor, Johnson, Ward and the rest put up numbers that dwarfed Drake's numbers.  Drake scored 16 points and 24 points his first two seasons.  Johnson more than tripled that in each of his first two season.   Go ahead and try to name three players from Johnson's teams (that haven't coached at UND in the past two years) without looking at a media guide.

Drake was fun to watch.  I wish him well in his pro career.  But we need to be realistic here.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Am I the only one on the Duncan train? He was so good! Plus, he had every intangible.

I think Ryan was a very good player for UND.  I kind of look at him in the same light as a Chris Jensen or Brian Williams type of player.  Just real solid four year players who could snipe the puck.