SiouxSports.com Forum

24 Hours to a Title

farce poobah

Showing my age, but my favorite part was Gino's motivational speech.

I would be a big fan of Gino Gasparini, since the fall of 1977 when I hit campus.  He was an assistant coach on the side, and as luck would have it also taught a golf class at Ray Richards that I enrolled in.

I found him to be a charismatic speaker, an intense personality, and a pretty good golf coach.    I was among those happy when Carl Miller named him head coach for the next season (1978-1979).

Kudos to Brad Berry for strengthening the travelling party, with a guy who was 8-2 in Frozen Fours during his tenure at UND.

• Upvote 3

Had me a laugh out loud moment....

A couple of blocks into their walk, two men pulled over in a beat-up sedan from the 1980s.

The men rolled down the window and asked Chyzyk and Sanderson if they needed a ride somewhere. One of them said he was a member of the ice crew at Amalie Arena, but neither player recognized him.

They took the offer anyway and jumped in the back seat with the trophy.

Absolutely fantastic piece.  Read it multiple times.  So many great nuggets of interest to someone who enjoys learning "the rest of the story" besides just what happens on the ice.

Farce Poobah mentioned the Gasparini bit as his favorite.   I probably have too many to mention, but little tidbits like how Cam Johnson's feeling on the red carpet, or how he was nervous for the first game but not the 2nd.....Sanderson and Chyzyk jumping in a random car to grab a bit to eat, Berry calling Hak first thing back in his room, the bit about the AC for the locker room, etc.

And hats off for a tight beginning and ending to the story.   The ending just blew me away.

• Upvote 1

We have one of the absolute best beat writers not only in college hockey, but in all of college sports.  We really are lucky to have a guy like Schloss covering this team.  Only hope that he will turn down the offers from bigger markets he is bound to get(or has already gotten, who knows) and stick around and cover the hockey team that we all love.  Brad is a young guy and would be great to see him cover this team for the next 20-30 years!!  

Great article, great team!!

• Upvote 2

Schlossman is a world-class performer. There is no one in the country who does a better job putting readers inside the minds and locker rooms of their favorite college hockey team. Hate to doom the guy to a lifetime career at The Herald, but I hope he hangs around forever.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, dagies said:

Absolutely fantastic piece.  Read it multiple times.  So many great nuggets of interest to someone who enjoys learning "the rest of the story" besides just what happens on the ice.

Farce Poobah mentioned the Gasparini bit as his favorite.   I probably have too many to mention, but little tidbits like how Cam Johnson's feeling on the red carpet, or how he was nervous for the first game but not the 2nd.....Sanderson and Chyzyk jumping in a random car to grab a bit to eat, Berry calling Hak first thing back in his room, the bit about the AC for the locker room, etc.

And hats off for a tight beginning and ending to the story.   The ending just blew me away.

My favorite part was Cam's confidence in the title game. When Brock scored the shorty, and he knew there was no way he was giving up 2 goals that night.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mikejm said:

Schlossman is a world-class performer. There is no one in the country who does a better job putting readers inside the minds and locker rooms of their favorite college hockey team. Hate to doom the guy to a lifetime career at The Herald, but I hope he hangs around forever.

Amen

I agree, Brad is great at his job. He's also really good at snap chat. Ha. I also think that Miller does a good job as well. He covers many sports and does a great job, too.

I liked the coverage that the Herald had in the paper during the Frozen Four.  Finally, loved the coverage with Phil and Brad during the regional and Frozen Four. Love the post game video. 

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Rumor has it the B1G Conference is considering offering him an affiliate reporter position.  But only on Thursday mornings and Sunday evenings.:)

tumblr_mi4o8xUu571qzl2lro1_500.gif

So then I said, 'but only on Thursday mornings and Sunday evenings.'

• Upvote 4

You think we're not lucky to have Brad Schlossman covering UND hockey?

http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/grand-forks-heralds-schlossman-wins-under-30000-beat-writing/

Brad Elliott Schlossman of the Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2015 contest in Beat Writing for the 30,000 and under circulation category.

• Upvote 2