SiouxSports.com Forum

Greater American hero, Wentz or Forrest Gump?

UNDBIZ

On March 29, 2016 at 8:44 AM, JohnboyND7 said:

Boxing isn't a big interest to me or anyone I know.  Did a wikipedia search.  Cool deal.  Not born in North Dakota unfortunately.

Neither was Roger Maris, Virgil Hill grew up in Grand Forks, helped out the UND football team, and even assisted in the coin toss before the 1993 UND-NDSU game, then walked towards the UND sideline. Virgil and North Dakota go hand in hand. 

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between Carson Wentz and everyone else is modern media.  All the people mentioned above are huge, but in the scheme of everything.... no one knows or connects them with anything North Dakota.  It's not that Wentz is better than anyone else.  It a matter of timing..... he hit in the era of instant communications and everything he does rebounds to North Dakota.   Even UND hockey benefits from the publicity as many people cannot differentiate  UND from NDSU.... so the school should be leveraging the visibility rather than denigrating Wentz

• Downvote 1

Nothing against Wentz...I hope he has a successful NFL career. He has talent and plays the best sport in the world.  But it's an insult to UND athletes, male and female to be loving him up on this forum. This board should be exclusive to Fighting Sioux and Fighting Hawks. 

• Upvote 2

I don't see it as an insult UND athletes, male and female.... I see is as an opportunity .... but that would require an understanding of the modern social media scene which is probably well beyond the comprehension of most old school posters.  Meanwhile, back at the IBM Selectric Typewriter.... the world finest machine of its class...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Selectric_typewriter

Edited by Siouan
link to finest typewriter...!!! loved it, but time marches on
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouan said:

I don't see it as an insult UND athletes, male and female.... I see is as an opportunity .... but that would require an understanding of the modern social media scene which is probably well beyond the comprehension of most old school posters.  Meanwhile, back at the IBM Selectric Typewriter.... the world finest machine of its class...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Selectric_typewriter

Lol, old school is just a moniker. Don't get it twisted. LoL I guess you feel Wentz is good for UND sports somehow?  Must be small town thinking I guess. I'm curious how you come to the conclusion that discussion of a non UND athlete helps UND athletes.  Is the logic based in the fact that he is from the area so that will make scouts notice UND athletes?? That's an honest question.  Non puns or sarcasm intended. 

9 minutes ago, Siouan said:

Arising tide lifts all ships. 

So we should root for NDSU to win more championships? That will help UND? I live in a big city...if you ain't hunting, you ain't eating. I think if Will Ratelle makes a roster and another player follows suit, in the short-term future, that will lift the UND ship. 

• Upvote 3

\The thing is...  i.e. REALITY CHECK!!  You Bison fans are living on one, (Phil Hanson), having a decent career in the NFL, and we're dealing w/ I dare say almost 100 or more NHL roster makers. They don't have a "NDSU players in the NFL" spot in the BIsmarck Tribune every week, like they do a "UND players in the NHL" every week.  And you know what?!  BOTTOM LINE .....  When THE SIOUX win a Division 1 Championship in Hockey against say, Boston College or Notre Dame . .. our players aren't hoisting the trophy chanting, "Bison Suck". ..  cuz we're in a league above and beyond Division 1 AA . . . we're at the top, and we beat the best there is. . .. you're not even a glint in our eye.  :)

• Downvote 5

As somebody who grew up in North Dakota and roots for both universities to do well because I didn't attend either, this thread is pretty childish on both sides from my perspective. If I had to choose a team to win a championship I'd choose UND hockey over NDSU football, but the Wentz story is a big deal (so is the five championships in a row won by NDSU). Is it as big as Roger Maris? Absolutely not. Is it as bigger than Virgil Hill? Probably. Is it bigger than UND hockey or NDSU football winning a championship? Yes, because the NFL is that big. Is it bigger than some guy in 1936 winning a Silver Medal in the Olympics? I'd have to say so because I'd never heard of the guy before. It's comparable to Jonathan Toews playing at UND but bigger because 1) it's rare that a DI-AA QB gets this kid of hype and not so rare than a UND player does well in the NHL, and 2) the NFL is much more popular than the NHL.

I'll be rooting for the Sioux to win tomorrow night--just as I'll be rooting for Carson Wentz to succeed in the NFL. Carson also seems like a great kid.

Just now, UNDvince97-01 said:

It's ok that you have an opinion.

It's also ok that you're wrong...:)

Thank you UNDvince97-01. By Siouan's logic, we should hope the NDSU never loses another game and all of their kids get drafted. That will help UND rise to national prominence. I'm sure when Carson shakes Roger Goddell's hand, and put that Cowboys cap on, he will thank the Bubba and the rest of the UND coaches for believing in him. Not!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dakotadan said:

:blink: 

I stopped reading at this point. 

For the hockey only folks, take the top 10 athletes from hockey and the top 10 from FCS football and do the testing on who are better athletes..........and it wouldn't be close.

8 hours ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

\The thing is...  i.e. REALITY CHECK!!   :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, Siouan said:

The difference between Carson Wentz and everyone else is modern media.  All the people mentioned above are huge, but in the scheme of everything.... no one knows or connects them with anything North Dakota.  It's not that Wentz is better than anyone else.  It a matter of timing..... he hit in the era of instant communications and everything he does rebounds to North Dakota.   Even UND hockey benefits from the publicity as many people cannot differentiate  UND from NDSU.... so the school should be leveraging the visibility rather than denigrating Wentz

People here aren't denigrating Wentz; we're just occasionally poking fun at the bizun rubes that feel the need prop up their own self esteem by continually posting on SIOUXSPORTS.com (emphasis that this is indeed SIOUXSPORTS) every time Carson takes a dump. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

\The thing is...  i.e. REALITY CHECK!!  You Bison fans are living on one, (Phil Hanson), having a decent career in the NFL, and we're dealing w/ I dare say almost 100 or more NHL roster makers. They don't have a "NDSU players in the NFL" spot in the BIsmarck Tribune every week, like they do a "UND players in the NHL" every week.  And you know what?!  BOTTOM LINE .....  When THE SIOUX win a Division 1 Championship in Hockey against say, Boston College or Notre Dame . .. our players aren't hoisting the trophy chanting, "Bison Suck". ..  cuz we're in a league above and beyond Division 1 AA . . . we're at the top, and we beat the best there is. . .. you're not even a glint in our eye.  :)

Way to slam the division our football team plays at. We aren't DII and we aren't FBS we are FCS the same division as NDSU, and if you can't remember that then stay on the hockey threads, and away from here.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

People here aren't denigrating Wentz; we're just occasionally poking fun at the bizun rubes that feel the need prop up their own self esteem by continually posting on SIOUXSPORTS.com (emphasis that this is indeed SIOUXSPORTS) every time Carson takes a dump. 

Absolutely. Those who feel the necessity to interrupt University of North Dakota-based discussion by repeatedly interjecting NDSU stuff perfectly epitomize an inferiority complex 

If you feel the need to talk about fertilizer, pesticides and Carson Wentz, go to that NDSU site, not here. 

• Upvote 1

To me, it's both comical and frustrating but just old and boring that there is talk continually on here about moo u.   Yes it is a forum, as the opposers will point out, .....it's called Siouxsports !!!!!!  That means UND!!!  People from opposing teams are welcome to come here, but your delusional if you don't think there's going to be a lash out to those that come here and either twist things up or constantly talk about how their team is so above ours.   Wentz seems like a nice enough guy, that's all I have.  This shouldn't be on a und forum.  Right now, will ratelle talk should be the only player being talked about on here for the up coming nfl draft.  He played for und is a complete beast,  hope to god he gets drafted as he has put in some serious time for this program.  Maybe someone should bring the will ratelle talk to the moo u forum,  however it won't be me as i have no intention to ever visit that site.  

• Upvote 2