SiouxSports.com Forum

Greater American hero, Wentz or Forrest Gump?

UNDBIZ

18 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I was trying to count brain cells on Bisonville, a while back, and a poster was talking about Wentz liking pizza.  It was pathetic.  No brain cells found of course. 

Pizza?! Obviously he doesn't have the dietary discipline to make it as a professional athlete. That could really hurt his draft stock! 

;)

15 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Rodger Maris has the biggest athletic accomplishment of any North Dakota and it's literally impossible for anyone to top it. He broke Babe Ruth's record when baseball was king. End of discussion.

Bah, this is the FOOTBALL forum.  Th best sport ever!  Baseball is a "pass time".  It's what people do when there is absolutely nothing else left to do.  Dishes are done, cleaned the garage, waxed the car . . . maybe I'll watch baseball . . . nah, I'd rather clean the bathrooms.

:D

For real, though, I'd watch the WNBA before any baseball game!

Back on topic, though, I'm betting on Will getting a shot somewhere in the NFL.  The guy has too much athletic talent to NOT get a shot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Bah, this is the FOOTBALL forum.  Th best sport ever!  Baseball is a "pass time".  It's what people do when there is absolutely nothing else left to do.  Dishes are done, cleaned the garage, waxed the car . . . maybe I'll watch baseball . . . nah, I'd rather clean the bathrooms.

:D

For real, though, I'd watch the WNBA before any baseball game!

Back on topic, though, I'm betting on Will getting a shot somewhere in the NFL.  The guy has too much athletic talent to NOT get a shot.

For the record, I hate baseball.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I didn't say this was the biggest accomplishment in North Dakota sports history, I said it's the biggest moment as far as buzz and people talking about sports in the state. Maybe you'll see that as splitting hairs, but that is what I meant. 

I agree that he hasn't accomplished anything near Maris or Phil Jackson, that has yet to be seen and would be disrespectful to call what Carson has done the greatest accomplishment. That isn't what I meant.

Again there is no way in hell more people are talking about this. Maris taking down the Babe was one of the biggest stories in the history of sports.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Again there is no way in hell more people are talking about this. Maris taking down the Babe was one of the biggest stories in the history of sports.

The entire country was watching Maris and Mantle chase the home run record the summer of 1961. Everyone knew that Roger grew up in North Dakota. Yankee baseball was the number one sport and team in the United States at the time. There is no comparison to hype about a potential NFL draft selection.

• Upvote 4

How about Virgil Hill's success?  That could "arguably" be considered one if not the greatest ND sports stories.  His performance on the world stage was notable.  Perhaps our NDSU friends really meant to say this was the greatest sports moment in Fargo, in mid-March 2016.

• Upvote 3

Now that Cleveland has picked up RG III, will Wentz go to a team that may be a better fit for him long term? I would think a year or two backing up Tony Romo would be better for Wentz than being relegated to the dog pound of Browns futility.

In Fargo there seems to be an obsession with making sure that something that happens there is considering the greatest or best of all time.  To be comparing where someone got drafted to some of the REAL national sports stories that have happened  in connection to North Dakota   born athletes is a real joke.  If Wentz actually ends up doing something in Pro Ball than the drafting  will become somewhat  important..    Until then ,  Roger Maris,  Virgil  Hilll,  Erstad ,  and on and on  are much bigger stories than a guy who is getting drafted.  Wentz need to actually do something at the next level first.

• Upvote 1

On March 25, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Bison06 said:

You must have missed the part where I said arguably.

Most would say this is a bigger story I think. Phil doesn't really even claim ND as home in the interviews I've seen.

Take off your piss yellow glasses then we'll talk 

24 minutes ago, Dagger said:

In Fargo there seems to be an obsession with making sure that something that happens there is considering the greatest or best of all time.  To be comparing where someone got drafted to some of the REAL national sports stories that have happened  in connection to North Dakota   born athletes is a real joke.  If Wentz actually ends up doing something in Pro Ball than the drafting  will become somewhat  important..    Until then ,  Roger Maris,  Virgil  Hilll,  Erstad ,  and on and on  are much bigger stories than a guy who is getting drafted.  Wentz need to actually do something at the next level first.

You forgot Jimmy Kleinsasser.

So what would be a bigger story this year  .  Wentz getting drafted or UND winning a D1 National Hockey Championship?    I will say it would be neat if the state of  North Dakota had 2 national championships this year in college sports.  NDSU would have a D1AA  football championship and UND could have a full fledged  D1  National Hockey Championship.  Let's hope it happens in Tampa.    Nice win today over the University  of Michigan.    

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Milford torgerson said:

And dambit,  Phillip Jackson deserves a spot at the table

Maybe if Phil Jackson acknowledged he was from ND that would be the case. You could probably ask all of the National NBA broadcasters from ESPN, TNT and NBATV and 95% of them wouldn't be able to answer where Jackson went to college or his home state. 

• Downvote 4

19 hours ago, Dagger said:

When is the last time a player or school from ND was mentioned on National TV every day for 3 month straight? You will hear Carson Wentz and North Dakota State talked about on ESPN and the NFL Network, among others, every day from now until the draft. Actually from the combine until the draft. Like it or not, this is the biggest nationally covered sports story in recent history. The only other one that would be close is Maris's 61 in 61. 

• Downvote 2

On 3/25/2016 at 11:57 AM, darell1976 said:

And if Wentz becomes Ryan Leaf 2.0, this will be the worst story in ND history. How about let's see how he does in the NFL then do all the stories on him. I feel sorry for the other 2 Bison guys who are trying to get into the NFL, no media converge on them.

There were more than 2 other Bison guys there at Pro Day and the scouts saw them, Mayock from the NFL Network mentioned Haeg and Smith on his reports on air, Haeg is being called a top 100 pick by some national media people. When is the last time a ND college had 2 top 100 picks in the NFL Draft? NDSU will have at least 6 players that will be in an NFL camp this spring. I don't think they care if the Media focused on Wentz. Thanks for your concern about NDSU athletes though.:cool:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

32 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

When is the last time a player or school from ND was mentioned on National TV every day for 3 month straight? You will hear Carson Wentz and North Dakota State talked about on ESPN and the NFL Network, among others, every day from now until the draft. Actually from the combine until the draft. Like it or not, this is the biggest nationally covered sports story in recent history. The only other one that would be close is Maris's 61 in 61. 

The biggest national sports story in recent history?  How many teams were at the pro day again?  

27 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Every day on ESPN with UND's logo being shown. 

So, it is bigger than Maris? :huh:

Wentz has not played a single down in the NFL. Pretty hard to compare a story on his professional career to those others that excelled. Not saying he won't be successful, but maybe the hype machine needs to come back to reality for a bit. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Truth be told, the largest national sport story right now is: 

LeBron unfollows the Cavaliers on Twitter. 

Game. 

I agree... I just watched sports center and read today's NY Times.  No mention of the Wentz kid, but there were stories about North Dakota advancing to the Frozen Four.  Perhaps Fargo is treated to a special national-level sports network to highlight their daily sports accomplishments?  ESPN-F?  They are that significant and deserving.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Truth be told, the largest national sport story right now is: 

LeBron unfollows the Cavaliers on Twitter. 

Game. 

I think everybody knew what I meant, but it is the biggest sports story incvolving ND covered Nationally in recent history.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic