SiouxSports.com Forum

Greater American hero, Wentz or Forrest Gump?

UNDBIZ

24 minutes ago, Rory said:

Shows me the obsession you have with NDSU and Wentz himself. Looks like some are still bitter he didn't choose the fighting Hawks as his college of choice. Need to let it go. 

remind us again why you're here checking up on things? 

31 minutes ago, Rory said:

Shows me the obsession you have with NDSU and Wentz himself. Looks like some are still bitter he didn't choose the fighting Hawks as his college of choice. Need to let it go. 

That's exactly it! :blink:

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I know it was an article about NDSU but Caillou was flashing the type of research abilities that show why he usually just copies FargoU press releases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kleinsasser

He still has red marks on his wrists from when they were slapped by Taylor and Bohl for writing negative articles.  He was locked out of practice and Bohl would not answer questions from him.  Can't let that happen again. 

33 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

FYP, can you guys go away now?

lol, I hadn't posted on this topic in days and show up here to this s-storm that one small comment created.

The fact that people have to go back to 1961 and 1930 something to find another event to compare to the media hype over Wentz right now sort of bolsters my argument, does it not?

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

lol, I hadn't posted on this topic in days and show up here to this s-storm that one small comment created.

The fact that people have to go back to 1961 and 1930 something to find another event involving a ND born and raised athlete to compare to the media hype over Wentz right now sort of bolsters my argument, does it not?

FYP. Nice try though.

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

FYP. Nice try though.

That works for me.

Listen, the spirit of my post wasn't to create this argument over if it is or isn't the biggest thing to happen. My original post was in response to someone not really happy about Carson getting all the attention at the proday, which in my opinion, is warranted. It is a big deal to maybe be the first quarterback taken in the draft, especially coming from a school that isn't part of the P5 or G5.

I'm sure there are many events that trump Carson and all the hype he is getting, but like I said, the fact that we have to go back 50-100 years to make comparisons says quite a bit in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bison06 said:

That works for me.

Listen, the spirit of my post wasn't to create this argument over if it is or isn't the biggest thing to happen. My original post was in response to someone not really happy about Carson getting all the attention at the proday. Which in my opinion, all the attention he is getting is warranted, it is a big deal to maybe be the first quarterback taken in the draft, especially coming from a school that isn't part of the P5 or G5.

I'm sure there are many events that trump Carson and all the hype he is getting, but like I said, the fact that we have to go back 50-100 years to make comparisons says quite a bit in my opinion.

This is probably a solid second that I can think of. Very far behind in second place at best though.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is probably a solid second that I can think of. Very far behind in second place at best though.

I actually would agree with you, the Maris situation is enormous and is likely in first place with a bullet. That event happened 20+ years before I was born so it didn't immediately come to mind.

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I wonder if Jesus had a sense of humor?

I think it's obvious that he does... every presidential election he tells numerous Republicans candidates that he wants them to be President only to let most of them lose in humiliating fashion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Until I see the movie "11" based on Phil Jackson I guess "61*" says what needs to be said. 

Then again, maybe Phil's movie should be called "13" to be more accurate.

8831cfb8e9de82d318f6f9e5a4425e2a.jpg

Phil Jackson's 13 NBA championship rings - most of which were courtesy of four of the top fifty players of all-time.

How's he doing with his Knicks rebuilding job?  I guess he needs to acquire some guy from Cleveland and that Kevin Durant guy from Oklahoma in order to win number 14.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

The fact that people have to go back to 1961 and 1930 something to find another event to compare to the media hype over Wentz right now sort of bolsters my argument, does it not?

Silly comments sometimes set off storms.

It's two very different topics when trying to compare Wentz to the other athletes listed in this thread.  One being hype, the other being accomplishments. 

the Lamoureux's on the cover of Sports Illustrated and their primetime segment on NBC during the Olympics was pretty neat, too.   I don't recall anyone at that time calling that worldwide media attention the greatest sports story in ND history.   

Maybe it's just a bison-fan thing to get so giddy about stories, etc.  

Best of luck to Carson Wentz and hopefully a story can be written someday about what a great NFL quarterback he is so he can be in the running for greatest ND sports story.

Whether Carson's draft is a big deal or not is insignificant to this message board.  It's called Siouxsports for a reason.  He is not a sioux or hawk.  I could give a flying f?!% about that team and it's players but every other poster is from that damn fan base.  Sickening!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

... One being hype, the other being accomplishments. 

the Lamoureux's on the cover of Sports Illustrated and their primetime segment on NBC during the Olympics was pretty neat, too.   I don't recall anyone at that time calling that worldwide media attention the greatest sports story in ND history.   ... 

Stop being rational and analytic. 

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Where is this conversation in 4-5 years if Carson is the next Joey Harrington..........without the piano skills?

Simple question...

Impossible.  Don't you realize they might have talked about him at some point on the ESPN network on Sunday?

There is a lot of stories of North Dakota athletes, most of them pre-twitter or dedicated football networks that need to fill air time.  They maybe didn't attend a North Dakota University so its weird that the local media didn't talk about it everyday and fans from that school didn't come to this message board to validate the accomplishment.

The only remaining question that's left is who is portraying Mr. Wentz in the upcoming Hollywood blockbuster, "Drafted", or its current working title, "Soon to be Drafted, Probably in the 1st Round."  I think we can rule out Josh Duhamel.

Exactly......right now this story is a big deal, and I think most UND fans obviously agree that it is a big deal too.  Most UND fans I doubt would really talk or say anything bad about Wentz and the story except for when Bison people have to come over here and gloat and look for further validation, well then you are going to get push back.  Since Wentz is from Bismarck, I am curious to see where he goes and how it all ends up and hope he does well.  If he was a recruit from another state.......I'd be totally ok if he crashed and burned.   

This is a big story right now because we are living it, and now days with social media and channels dedicated to a single sport....it's going to get a lot of coverage.  Plus media loves underdog..........to quote Bill Murray  "Cinderalla Story. Outta Nowhere."  Everybody loves that story....especially the media.    If he ends up becoming a viable starter and does well in the NFL the story has some more long time meat to it.  But if he ends up being Ryan Leaf 2.0......or Brandon Weeden then 10 years down the road this story will be not be as big of a deal.  He's got talent.....I could see him doing quite well, I'm definitely not rooting against the Bismarck kid even if he went to NDSU.  

8 minutes ago, Ranger said:

The only remaining question that's left is who is portraying Mr. Wentz in the upcoming Hollywood blockbuster, "Drafted", or its current working title, "Soon to be Drafted, Probably in the 1st Round."  I think we can rule out Josh Duhamel.

Josh?  Bison Nation will have nothing to do with that............he posed with his young boy who was in a UND Sioux hockey jersey after Saturday's win over Michigan.

• Upvote 3

On 3/25/2016 at 10:40 AM, Bison06 said:

Would you expect it to be handled differently?

This is arguably the biggest story in the history of ND sports.

Let's just hope for his sake that Cleveland does not take him, otherwise the poor kid will be be just another trivia question in a long list of Browns QB's...

I was thinking the same thing, he'll be screwed if he goes to Cleveland!  However now that the Browns have picked up RGIII it sounds like there plan is to have him as the starter, so Wentz would still be able to ease into it, and not have to be considered the savior and start from day one......and get beat to hell and never be able to recover. 

I haven't read pages 2 and 3 (so excuse me if its been brought up) but what about the Cinderella story coming out of little old Carrington, ND? Coming from small town ND and being drafted in the 2nd round of the NFL draft. Now that's a story....

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I haven't read pages 2 and 3 (so excuse me if its been brought up) but what about the Cinderella story coming out of little old Carrington, ND? Coming from small town ND and being drafted in the 2nd round of the NFL draft. Now that's a story....

Meh, Phil Hansen did it first and was from an(barely) even smaller town ;)

Wentz seems like a pretty great guy and someone any North Dakotan can cheer for.  It's just that NDSU fans are so damn annoying about it that it detracts from Carson himself.

I'd love to see him go high in the draft and be very successful... as long as NDSU fans don't brag about it like he's their only son for the next 50 years.

• Upvote 1