SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four in Tampa

Cratter

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Works for me, I'm planning on buying tickets outside the arena after the first semifinal game.

The only tickets not currently sold to the semis are the last few rows (6-8) in the upper corners. 

Good chance I'm doing the same . I still have no idea how I'm paying for this trip.

My mindset was book now, figure it out later. So clearly I'm going to be last minute on tickets, so hopefully there are a lot of tickets to be had down there. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matthanuf06 said:

Well Berns, but that's like a once a year take the wife on our anniversary type thing.

As an in towner I'd avoid the prototypical beach places and go to more foodie type places. But it depends what is most important for you.

Downtown St Pete is nicer, more fun, and has more food options than downtown Tampa.  You can honestly just walk around and pick a place to eat there That's where I'd go at my age (31 married with 2 kids) if I wanted a night out with the wife. I wouldn't recommend staying near the arena and if you do you need a car. Not a ton to do there.

If you are on the Tampa side I'd also recommend  Ulele.  Great atmosphere and local type food as well

I'll second all of what Matt said. We moved to downtown St Pete a little over a year ago. If you have some free time it's way better than Tampa. If you're looking to bar hop there is a block with bars and live music all the way around the block. If you're into good food there are great restaurants. There are also lots of art galleries and museums.  All this is in easy walking distance. Let me know if I can help.

Berns is a little lost on me. Definitely a great old world steak house but if I only had one night in Tampa I wouldn't spend it there. 

Ybor city is cool although I prefer St Pete. 

You'll find people every where down here to be very friendly if you are.  

Have fun.

Jim 

3 hours ago, Matthanuf06 said:

Great area. Tons of good restaurants within a minute or two drive.

Also on the water but not what I'd consider the beach, but you'd get a sunset.

You are also a few mins away from our best brewery in the area, Cigar City. If you like beer go check that out

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone else is interested in the Hampton, rooms are around $160/nt.

On 3/30/2016 at 8:12 PM, Emerald joker said:

Is there anything anyone recomends to see in Tampa? I'm going to be there for a week

Best Irish Pub - Four Green Fields, Best place to wander about for food, drink, and cigars - Ybor City  - Best Cuban food - Columbia Resturaunt, Best place to stay - Le Meridian = cool hotel with free shuttle.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

Best Irish Pub - Four Green Fields, Best place to wander about for food, drink, and cigars - Ybor City  - Best Cuban food - Columbia Resturaunt, Best place to stay - Le Meridian = cool hotel with free shuttle.  

Someone already said Cuban food was awesome. The aquarium sounded cool. Staying at my cousins so don't need a hotel thank god. Thanks

14 hours ago, Cratter said:

I'm trying to understand Busch Gardens. Seems to be half amusement park half zoo. Reviews claimed six rides and very long lines (and hour? especially on a friday?) About a $100 bucks just to get in the door ($80 a ticket plus $18 parking). 

Honestly, there are enough rides that I never even visited the zoo part last time I was there (been about 5 years).  With school still in session, I expect Friday won't be nearly as busy as a weekend or a summer day, especially early in the day.  As to cost; I've found that you can get discount tickets for a lot of attractions, including that, by asking at the front desk of the hotels.  I think we got tickets for $20 or $25 off when we last went.  On lines, I'm speaking of a particular day, but they were short enough that we rode several coasters multiple times.  There was a big green one toward the back of the park that you sat 3 or 4 wide on, and the ride from one side of the car to the other was completely different, so we had to keep riding it until our entire group had sat in the left seat.  That one did loops around the walkways to get to some of the other rides - good fun!  Longest line was for the front row on the Sheikra (sp), but if you like coasters it's totally worth the wait! :cool:

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Matthanuf06 said:

Greetings from a UND student that lives in Tampa (going back for MSAE).

im a huge hockey fan as I attend tons of Bolts games a year and in fact one of my best memories was watching them in person win the cup. I will be going to my first college game next week.  Super excited about that!

College sports in general are my passion but my undergraduate school (Uni of Florida) doesn't have a team, so I've really taken to UND this year.

That being said I don't have tickets currently but I doubt it'll be a hard ticket to get.  The bolts sell out every game but those tickets can be scalped for face. Id imagine we can get these for well under face quite easily...

That being said I really came here to offer any advice, tips, tricks or whatever in regards to Tampa.  If you have any questions in regards to where to stay, eat, party, etc please ask. 

First thing remember Tampa is fairly sprawled, so I'd definitely get a car if you want to experience the area.  For example the arena to the beach is a solid 45 mins in no traffic and double tha easy in traffic.  

We are flying into St. Pete-Clearwater Airport but staying in downtown Tampa. What is the best option for transportation to our hotel?

14 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Good chance I'm doing the same . I still have no idea how I'm paying for this trip.

My mindset was book now, figure it out later. So clearly I'm going to be last minute on tickets, so hopefully there are a lot of tickets to be had down there. 

I would say approach fans of the loser of the first game with compassion and see if they plan on sticking around for the other games.  You might get some cheap tickets.  Look for the really depressed ones, and you might get them cheaper with a little empathy, considering our plight the last few years. 

16 hours ago, Cratter said:

I don't have much desire to watch the other semifinal game (live), rather be at the pregame party and watch on TV.

I went to all of the games the last two years, but I'm thinking the same thing as you for this year! Boston's pregame was a blast and it sucked having to end it around 2:30.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I would say approach fans of the loser of the first game with compassion and see if they plan on sticking around for the other games.  You might get some cheap tickets.  Look for the really depressed ones, and you might get them cheaper with a little empathy, considering our plight the last few years. 

Debatable how many fans from the other teams will show up.  Denver will have their usual 10-12 fans.  BC will have significantly more but they typically do not travel that well when they have to leave their own backyard.  No idea on Quinnipiac but am guessing they will have somewhere in between.  Alot of fans are from the other teams that did not make it but go every year so unlikely they will be selling their tickets.  

19 hours ago, Matthanuf06 said:

If you want the beach environment dinner experience I would recommend Frenchys Rockaway Grill on Clearwater beach. Great seafood and awesome atmosphere right on the sand 

I was going to recommend Frenchy's.  Another place I'd recommend would be Crabby Bill's.  We went tried it out last year and had a great time.  If you go fishing down there they will cook up your cleaned fish however you like.  The original Hooters is also on Clearwater Beach if anyone wants to check that out (I haven't been).

3 hours ago, facetime said:

We are flying into St. Pete-Clearwater Airport but staying in downtown Tampa. What is the best option for transportation to our hotel?

There is no mass transportation so you are stuck with either a taxi, uber or rent a car.

Traffic across the bridge (going to St Pete/Clw to Tampa) can be brutal from around 345-7.  It is hit and miss, but that 25 minute with no traffic drive can easily be 90 minutes to an 120 minutes in peak traffic time.  That can be a rough taxi/uber bill at that hour.  I'd recommend eating somewhere first if you are going to hit that traffic.  I actually work 5 minutes from the SP/CLW airport so I can help you out there.

10 minutes ago, OshieRoll said:

I was going to recommend Frenchy's.  Another place I'd recommend would be Crabby Bill's.  We went tried it out last year and had a great time.  If you go fishing down there they will cook up your cleaned fish however you like.  The original Hooters is also on Clearwater Beach if anyone wants to check that out (I haven't been).

There original Hooters is actually on Gulf to Bay in Largo.  It is not near the water, however it was remodeled so there really isn't special about going to the "original".  There are tons of Hooters here, and honestly I prefer Winghouse (exact some concept with slightly better food in my opinion).

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

UNDBIZ's fan attendance estimates (numbers have little/no backing):

DU - 200 (parents and close family make the trip)

BC - 3,000

QU - 800

UND - 6,000

Miscellaneous - 5,000

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

UNDBIZ's fan attendance estimates (numbers have little/no backing):

DU - 200 (parents and close family make the trip)

BC - 3,000

QU - 800

UND - 6,000

Miscellaneous - 5,000

The last time the Frozen Four was held in Tampa, the attendance was approximately 18,500 for each session.  The lowest attended Frozen Fours was the last 2 years in Philly and Pitt. at approximately 17,500.  The BC# surprises me but alot of people from the NE moved to Florida to retire.  I would be surprised if the attendance did not approach 18K per game.  Hopefully half are Sioux fans.:)

39 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Debatable how many fans from the other teams will show up.  Denver will have their usual 10-12 fans.  BC will have significantly more but they typically do not travel that well when they have to leave their own backyard.  No idea on Quinnipiac but am guessing they will have somewhere in between.  Alot of fans are from the other teams that did not make it but go every year so unlikely they will be selling their tickets.  

Each team is allotted so many seats, so if they turn them back in, you can probably get them that way.  If they don't turn them in, then those are the people you approach. 

16 minutes ago, Matthanuf06 said:

There original Hooters is actually on Gulf to Bay in Largo.  It is not near the water, however it was remodeled so there really isn't special about going to the "original".  There are tons of Hooters here, and honestly I prefer Winghouse (exact some concept with slightly better food in my opinion).

You are right.  I guess I was lied to. :glare:

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Gave mine away leaving the X in 2011

18 minutes ago, fsioux said:

The last time the Frozen Four was held in Tampa, the attendance was approximately 18,500 for each session.  The lowest attended Frozen Fours was the last 2 years in Philly and Pitt. at approximately 17,500.  The BC# surprises me but alot of people from the NE moved to Florida to retire.  I would be surprised if the attendance did not approach 18K per game.  Hopefully half are Sioux fans.:)

Those were numbers I pulled out of my @$@%.  If the BC number surprises you, I guess it's just because we have differing opinions on the number of fans they'll have.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

These are numbers I pulled out of my @$@%.  If the BC number surprises you, I guess it's just because we have differing opinions on the number of fans they'll have.

It would be interesting to know how many fans there are from each team, but unfortunately everybody does like us and pulls it out of their @$@%.  Denver is usually pretty easy to count however.