SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four in Tampa

Cratter

23 minutes ago, Matthanuf06 said:

Greetings from a UND student that lives in Tampa (going back for MSAE).

im a huge hockey fan as I attend tons of Bolts games a year and in fact one of my best memories was watching them in person win the cup. I will be going to my first college game next week.  Super excited about that!

College sports in general are my passion but my undergraduate school (Uni of Florida) doesn't have a team, so I've really taken to UND this year.

That being said I don't have tickets currently but I doubt it'll be a hard ticket to get.  The bolts sell out every game but those tickets can be scalped for face. Id imagine we can get these for well under face quite easily...

That being said I really came here to offer any advice, tips, tricks or whatever in regards to Tampa.  If you have any questions in regards to where to stay, eat, party, etc please ask. 

First thing remember Tampa is fairly sprawled, so I'd definitely get a car if you want to experience the area.  For example the arena to the beach is a solid 45 mins in no traffic and double tha easy in traffic.  

Welcome.

I have a room reserved at the Hampton Inn - Rocky Point. Is that a decent area?

48 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Depending on weather.  We go to Clearwater Beach once or twice a year, so I hear it calling my name, but Busch Gardens would also be good if it's not blistering hot.

I'm trying to understand Busch Gardens. Seems to be half amusement park half zoo. Reviews claimed six rides and very long lines (and hour? especially on a friday?) About a $100 bucks just to get in the door ($80 a ticket plus $18 parking). 

15 minutes ago, SiouxperDave said:

Welcome.

I have a room reserved at the Hampton Inn - Rocky Point. Is that a decent area?

Great area. Tons of good restaurants within a minute or two drive.

Also on the water but not what I'd consider the beach, but you'd get a sunset.

You are also a few mins away from our best brewery in the area, Cigar City. If you like beer go check that out

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I'm trying to understand Busch Gardens. Seems to be half amusement park half zoo. Reviews claimed six rides and very long lines (and hour? especially on a friday?) About a $100 bucks just to get in the door ($80 a ticket plus parking). 

Yes exactly. Although there are more than enough rides to not even bother with the "zoo" part.  One of the better amusement parks you could go to.

They are also in the midst of their food and wine festival with some good bands on the weekends. 

Also the best restaurant for out of town people would be Berns. Awesome steakhouse and an awesome overall experience and environment.  One of a kind.  Their desert room is awesome as well.  One of the biggest wine cellars in the country that you can tour after dinner

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

And in town people? 

Well Berns, but that's like a once a year take the wife on our anniversary type thing.

As an in towner I'd avoid the prototypical beach places and go to more foodie type places. But it depends what is most important for you.

Downtown St Pete is nicer, more fun, and has more food options than downtown Tampa.  You can honestly just walk around and pick a place to eat there That's where I'd go at my age (31 married with 2 kids) if I wanted a night out with the wife. I wouldn't recommend staying near the arena and if you do you need a car. Not a ton to do there.

If you are on the Tampa side I'd also recommend  Ulele.  Great atmosphere and local type food as well

34 minutes ago, Matthanuf06 said:

If you want the beach environment dinner experience I would recommend Frenchys Rockaway Grill on Clearwater beach. Great seafood and awesome atmosphere right on the sand 

Grouper sandwich and a cold Yuengling (or two) hits the spot at Frenchy's.

• Upvote 1

Fergs will be packed with Sioux fans long before 5:30. Last year in Boston, The Greatest bar was full shortly after noon. You will be able to take part in the festivities and easily make the afternoon game. Amalie is like 100 yds. away. The band won't show up before 5:30, that's about it for the "official" part.

15 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Fergs will be packed with Sioux fans long before 5:30. Last year in Boston, The Greatest bar was full shortly after noon. You will be able to take part in the festivities and easily make the afternoon game. Amalie is like 100 yds. away. The band won't show up before 5:30, that's about it for the "official" part.

Ill be there well before 5:30 I know that :)

3 minutes ago, Matthanuf06 said:

There are going to be a ton of tickets available then

Works for me, I'm planning on buying tickets outside the arena after the first semifinal game.

The only tickets not currently sold to the semis are the last few rows (6-8) in the upper corners.