SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four in Tampa

Cratter

8 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

Do you think it would work to buy tix for the BC/QU game (they're cheaper), arrive late from Ferg's, and then just hang out inside the arena until our game starts?

Everyone has to exit the arena after the BC/QU game and re enter with 2nd session ticket.

26 minutes ago, fsioux said:

It would be interesting to know how many fans there are from each team, but unfortunately everybody does like us and pulls it out of their @$@%.  Denver is usually pretty easy to count however.

Do you think we hit 5,000 fans? its tough to have any sort of idea really right now.

I  am a North Dakota native and now live in the Tampa area as well and have a few ideas for everyone. I would recommend The Getaway which is on Gandy Blvd close to the dog track and Redneck Riviera...right on the water, multiple outdoor tiki bars, tons of fun outdoor seating and the food is amazing. If you do the Frenchy's thing get a card and if you get to each one, I think there are four or five, and buy a certain cocktail you get a free t-shirt...all of them are within walking distance in Clearwater Beach. If you are in Ybor City definitely go to Columbia Restaurant and anyone who doesn't want to go to Ybor and is in the Clearwater area go to Columbia on Sand Key...if you want original Cuban food this is the place to go. My favorite St Pete area place is Hofbrauhaus...it is designed after the original in Munich and has great food, big steins of delicious beer, music and of course German looking waitresses in full costume. For downtown Tampa I like Jacksons which sits on the water and has good food.

Off the food stuff...if you want to get out fishing you have lots of options and fishing is great inshore, near shore and off shore. If you like dog racing then Derby Lane is a great time...they run afternoons and evenings on lots of days...check the schedule. It is right across the Gandy bridge from downtown Tampa and close to the Getaway for a full day of fun and relaxing. If you like horse racing Tampa Bay Downs is a great track and another fun day can be had watching horses and/or playing poker.

Hope you all have a great time in Tampa and get to enjoy the outdoors.

• Upvote 2

Sioux Fan Here who lives in St. Pete, FL (Whole family are UND Alum. and from Grand Forks originally) My brother and his son are coming down so we can go!! All suggestions given so far seem spot on and if anyone has questions I can help as well! One unfortunate thing no one has seemed to mention yet is if BC is represented anything like any other Boston Sports teams (Bruins and Red Sox), there will be a decent amount of obnoxious Bostonians (Transplants who live here now and their annoying brethren). I'm sure the Sioux fans will still outnumber everyone else by far!!!! I'm ready to see #8!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

tickets are too pricey, on going to scalp when I get there

There will be scalpers up and down Channelside Dr. (the road the Arena and Ferg's Live is on) also after the Thurs. games, the Championship tix should be easy to come by from the losing teams fans unloading them... 

22 minutes ago, franchise said:

Anyone interested in flying down together on Saturday morning and either being pumped for the game or share in misery if Denver wins?:lol:

Thought about waiting to see if UND wins on thursday and then looking at cheap last minute air out of MSP...

2 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Thought about waiting to see if UND wins on thursday and then looking at cheap last minute air out of MSP...

If you do, I'd be up for going with ya.  Just not real thrilled at the possibility of going down alone and then watching DU win

I am planning that as well.  I can't swing the days away for the entire thing...so if UND wins Thursday I'll be getting plane tickets for Saturday morning.

Then I'm not sure if I'll just buy some upper level tickets on the NCAA website (assuming still available) or get some scalp.

Just now, brianvf said:

I am planning that as well.  I can't swing the days away for the entire thing...so if UND wins Thursday I'll be getting plane tickets for Saturday morning.

Then I'm not sure if I'll just buy some upper level tickets on the NCAA website (assuming still available) or get some scalp.

At that point I'd probably scalp, shouldn't be an issue.

2 hours ago, siouxstudent said:

Do you think we hit 5,000 fans? its tough to have any sort of idea really right now.

If it is anything like Boston, Philly, and Pitt., I would think we should easily surpass 5000 fans.   To me it seems to be growing with each Frozen Four.  Boston people were shocked by how many ND fans showed up in their town.  As far as BC fans, alot of Boston fans live in Florida, however many of them are not BC fans.  Last year during the semifinals, all of the BC fans that were sitting in our section were cheering for ND as they can not stand BU and I don't imagine BU fans will suddenly start cheering for the Eagles.  There was a ton of green at the Garden last year.

1 hour ago, franchise said:

If you do, I'd be up for going with ya.  Just not real thrilled at the possibility of going down alone and then watching DU win

There's already a few of us loners. We can find a spot in the corners of Fergus together.

BigSkyVikes, you going to be at Fergs?

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

There's already a few of us loners. We can find a spot in the corners of Fergus together.

Yes I will, with my brother and dad. I will be the guy in the Sioux Jersey, shorts, and my keens! Still sportin my tan from Daytona Beach!:D

Comment about Boston being full of green last year,  yes it was, it was very loud in there for the Sioux boys!

I'm feeIin the largest FF Sioux following yet next weekend! Can't wait.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Yes I will, with my brother and dad. I will be the guy in the Sioux Jersey, shorts, and my keens! Still sportin my tan from Daytona Beach!:D

Comment about Boston being full of green last year,  yes it was, it was very loud in there for the Sioux boys!

I'm feeIin the largest FF Sioux following yet next weekend! Can't wait.

I think you may be correct.  The first time Frozen Four virgins will be shocked by how many Sioux fans show up.:p

Wife and I headed down to our first frozen four. Everything booked but the game tickets. Seems like a lot of people are going to the scalpers. Anyone worried they aren't going to get tickets especially to the Thursday game? Prices are pretty rediculous right now, but I don't want to get down there and not be able to find tickets. 

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Where are the loners staying? I get a Hilton hotel employee rate, but not surprisingly my $29/ night rate doesn't seem to be available next thursday thru sunday

What's the consensus. ..a lot of people skipping the early game?

30 minutes ago, tjl_48 said:

Wife and I headed down to our first frozen four. Everything booked but the game tickets. Seems like a lot of people are going to the scalpers. Anyone worried they aren't going to get tickets especially to the Thursday game? Prices are pretty rediculous right now, but I don't want to get down there and not be able to find tickets. 

From what I understand most FF semis usually have a "decent amount of empty seats" (usually upper levels....although purchased probably went unused by people only wanting to watch their team play), add in that (I believe) this year is the first year of separate Thursday game tickets. I wouldn't worry. Worst case scenario I see is paying full price for at the ticket office in the nose bleeds.

15 minutes ago, franchise said:

Where are the loners staying?

Suburban Extended Stay. Near the airport.

Hurry up one room left "efficiency" only $48 a night. 

Edit: jumps up to $70 when I switch check out dates (Sunday instead of Monday...which also worked out for my flight being about a $100 cheaper leaving Sunday vs Monday) which means if you stay til Monday its basically a free night (based on the savings of so many days)