SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud State drops some eggs ... er, sports

ScottM

23 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

would the summit like st thomas over st cloud state knowing that the summit is a springboard to something else after 5 years or BRING BACK THE NCC!!!! with scsu knowing that they would be in the summit for the next 100 years (no springboarding anywhere!)

St. Thomas >>>>>>>>>>>>>> St. Cloud

you make that deal every time 

• Upvote 2

Ouch!

Plus, support for football has waned, Wacker said. There were 58 football season ticket holders this fall. In the last three years, the average Huskies football game drew between 1,000 and 1,300 spectators, Weems said.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2019/12/10/scsu-st-cloud-state-football-golf-teams-eliminated-title-ix/2634708001/

10 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

Ouch!

Plus, support for football has waned, Wacker said. There were 58 football season ticket holders this fall. In the last three years, the average Huskies football game drew between 1,000 and 1,300 spectators, Weems said.

https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2019/12/10/scsu-st-cloud-state-football-golf-teams-eliminated-title-ix/2634708001/

That's too bad. I remember going to a UND SCSU playoff football game back in the early 2000s (03 or 04) and it was packed (Of course there were a lot of UND fans).

If I remember right I feel like we won on a  FG by Glas, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

That's too bad. I remember going to a UND SCSU (maybe playoff, maybe not) football game back in the early 2000s (maybe 03) and it was packed (Of course there were a lot of UND fans).

If I remember right I feel like we won on a 50+ yard FG by Glas, but I could be wrong.

2004 sccc hated that the band was there. 

this from KROX. http://www.kroxam.com/2019/12/10/umc-to-make-campus-wide-announcement-this-afternoon-st-cloud-state-is-will-announce-this-afternoon-they-are-cutting-football/

Crookston dropping football seems like a no-brainer. Terrible record, horrible attendance, and a field that wasn't even playable for most games this year. There was some talk in Crookston about a new athletic facility, which would include some type of bubble for football, guess that will be re-evaulated. 

12 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Crookston dropping football seems like a no-brainer. Terrible record, horrible attendance, and a field that wasn't even playable for most games this year. There was some talk in Crookston about a new athletic facility, which would include some type of bubble for football, guess that will be re-evaulated. 

should've dropped football when they messed up the 50 yard line or was it the  logo ?  made national news i think?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, northernraider said:

They still have to do something the field was a joint use field with the high school. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

That's too bad. I remember going to a UND SCSU playoff football game back in the early 2000s (03 or 04) and it was packed (Of course there were a lot of UND fans).

And that did not include the dozen nickname protesters who were there to get the extra credit professors offered. Somewhat related, this will be one of the few times the St Cloud Times covers SCSU football in the past two years. 

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Thought the NSIC required football.  The GLIAC doesn't.

They did until about a week ago. The stories all say the conference changed the bylaws recently to not make football a requirement. With how quick St. Cloud and UMC announced they were dropping their football programs you have to think they were pushing to change the bylaws.

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

They did until about a week ago. The stories all say the conference changed the bylaws recently to not make football a requirement. With how quick St. Cloud and UMC announced they were dropping their football programs you have to think they were pushing to change the bylaws.

That is absolutely what happened.

New bylaws require 10 conference sponsored sports including football or 11 sports without football.

Apparently, men's soccer has to replace football as SCSU has to have a men's sport in the fall according to the NCAA,

Right now, the NSIC has only two men's soccer teams:  Upper Iowa and UMary.

Upper Iowa is an affiliate of the GLIAC and UMary affiliates with the GNAC.  The GLIAC gets another affiliate.

Homecoming will be a volleyball match and a hockey game.

29 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Apparently, men's soccer has to replace football as SCSU has to have a men's sport in the fall according to the NCAA,

Right now, the NSIC has only two men's soccer teams:  Upper Iowa and UMary.

Upper Iowa is an affiliate of the GLIAC and UMary affiliates with the GNAC.  The GLIAC gets another affiliate.

Homecoming will be a volleyball match and a hockey game.

Make that one......Mary dropped their men's soccer team a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I've been to at least one UND Football road game every year for the past 14 seasons.  My very first one was a November game at St Cloud in 2006.  Fun time, great game that went into OT (we won) but a weird setup with seating only on one side of the stadium. 

Too bad for the players for sure.

I would imagine survival is on the SCSU Athletics radar rather than DI.  They have real enrollment issues....

• Upvote 1