SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud State drops some eggs ... er, sports

ScottM

5 hours ago, kiyoat said:

OK, but that's not what you said.  You said they have facilities that are better than two Valley schools right now.  That's false.  I'm sure there are ways to deal with the fact that they are essentially landlocked, and need space for new facilities, but those solutions will not be quick, cheap or easy.  Booting the football team to an over-sized off-campus soccer stadium would be demoralizing to that program, IMHO.  Rumors and message board chatter aren't a great source of factual info, anyway.

I'm on-board with UST to the Summit, but let's not crown them the new Creighton before they tip off a single D-1 game.  Crazy talk.

Didn't say anything about UST's facilities until you brought it up.  UST would be wanted for one gigantic reason, the MSP TV and media market.  UST and Creighton used to be conference mates, so they are not far apart at all in many ways.  Marquette is a better analogy, but UST has hockey too that they will be a power in.  A final analogy would be a wealthier Providence.

Whatever, dude.  I'd ask what unknown conference USU (Utah State?) and Creighton were both members of, but that is so off topic that I think I'll just agree with you and move on.  Yes, St. Thomas will have magical insta-success in Division 1 within five years and leave us all behind, choking on their dust.

Have a great day.

3 hours ago, kiyoat said:

Whatever, dude.  I'd ask what unknown conference USU (Utah State?) and Creighton were both members of, but that is so off topic that I think I'll just agree with you and move on.  Yes, St. Thomas will have magical insta-success in Division 1 within five years and leave us all behind, choking on their dust.

Have a great day.

I’d actually wager that after 10 years, UST will easily have more success than USD.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dr. Roy Saigo

SCSU earned their turn "in the barrel". 

That's quite the take.

Using the loss of opportunities for hundreds of students a year as a way to feel better about someone who hasn't been at a University for 13 years.

These athletes were, at most, 11 when he was last president.

Karma would be calling yourself a security hawk and then disappearing when someone you support gets busted for serious security violations. Or is that just hipocracy?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I wonder how many years it will take before everyone follows the Alabama title 9 model of a women’s rowing team with 60 members.  

Seventy-eight

Wisconsin has over 90.

Those are just the rowers on the website roster.  They may report more.  According to this Omaha W-H report, Wisco reported 176 members on its women's rowing team in 2018.

3 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Seventy-eight

Wisconsin has over 90.

Those are just the rowers on the website roster.  They may report more.  According to this Omaha W-H report, Wisco reported 176 members on its women's rowing team in 2018.

To be a tiny, tiny, tiny bit fair to UW, rowing is pretty huge in eastern Wisconsin. 

Favorite spot in that state, outside of Lambeau field, is having beers on the back patio of Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, watching the rowers go by. 

5 minutes ago, northernraider said:

The amount of money Alabama football brings in they could sponsor a 20 memeber women nordic team that only competes twice a year. 

And yet they are the ones that have it figured out cost wise     Cheap women’s sports, with lots of team members, I’m sure they have cushy facilities but again per athlete  they know how to keep their costs down 

1 hour ago, GeauxSioux said:

I see Sica's point.  Saigo led the charge against the Native American nicknames with the NCAA.  St. Cloud State had protests whenever UND played there due to the Sioux name. 

Not that the demise of SCSU football and athletic woes are exactly connected to the actions from 15-20 years ago, but....karma.

Ah yes, student athletes certainly deserve to lose their opportunity to play collegiate athletics because other people 15 years ago did something legal that others didn't like. Makes perfect sense. 

At what point does UND deserve karma for having a benefactor who held a nazi memorabilia party? Or is that different because it's UND?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Ah yes, student athletes certainly deserve to lose their opportunity to play collegiate athletics because other people 15 years ago did something legal that others didn't like. Makes perfect sense. 

At what point does UND deserve karma for having a benefactor who held a nazi memorabilia party? Or is that different because it's UND?

is Nazi memorabilia valuable?  

13 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Pretty sure that karma has already occurred :)

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, southpaw said:

what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas 

2 hours ago, lawkota said:

Seventy-eight

Wisconsin has over 90.

A young woman I coached in basketball went to Wisconsin.  She was actively recruited for rowing once she got to campus because she had the right body type for it.  I didn't realize they had so many on the team.

I believe she was offered some scholarship money

41 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Is this Twitter? :lol:

5 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I wonder how many years it will take before everyone follows the Alabama title 9 model of a women’s rowing team with 60 members.  

Iowa has around 80 women on their rowing team. I would guess 40 of them may not even be aware they are on the rowing team.

A rowing meet features 20 athletes. Should be 12 but for some reason they make each team field 2 boats for the 8's and 1 for the 4's.

You could maybe justify a roster of 35-40. 

But whatever it takes to get around some of the Title 9 issues is all good I guess.