SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ Western Mich - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

10 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I've watched this a lot and though I think it hits the post due to the direction it bounced back; I don't think it is obvious. However, the review should have been no more than a minute or two since there is no obvious evidence to change what they called on the ice.

Also, WMU needs to fix the angle they have for their over the net camera. It's near impossible to make a 100% certain call with an angle that bad.

Is that honestly the camera view they had to review the play?

If I can follow the puck on my Droid Turbo phone that the puck hits the post and comes out in 6 seconds without a second view, what are they possibly looking at/for? Pamela Anderson Baywatch re-runs?

Ridiculous. They must be hourly employees instead of salary.

35 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

Is that honestly the camera view they had to review the play?

If I can follow the puck on my Droid Turbo phone that the puck hits the post and comes out in 6 seconds without a second view, what are they possibly looking at/for? Pamela Anderson Baywatch re-runs?

Ridiculous. They must be hourly employees instead of salary.

I hope that they can fix that angle too.  That is horrendous that a team deems that acceptable. 

Observations from Kalamazoo.

1.  WMU is big.  UND defensemen had trouble moving some of those guys from the front of the net.  This was old school hockey, a lot of big hits and very physical.  There was some WMU attempts at intimidation at times, which could have been called penalties but weren't.

2.  They have some fast forwards.  It may have been the size of the arena, but the ice sheet seemed small.  It didn't leave a lot of room to maneuver.  While WMU did show some playmaking they clearly do not have the creativity of a St. Cloud or Omaha's top line.

4.  The goal cameras are at a screwy angle.  I noticed that during the goal review.  From the sound the puck made, I was sure it was a goal.  It sounded like the puck hit the metal plate that sits flat on the ice under the padded cover.  It did not sound like pipe at all.  The WMU crowd was sure it was a goal.  After the review was over, the PA guy even commented to the crowd that this one would have to be kept for posterity because it was clearly a goal.  I would think the NCHC would have a problem with the PA guy criticism of the refs.

5.  UND defense played pretty well, but Cam played even better in net.  He had much better focus than against CC.  There were a couple of defense penalties that should not have happened.  Guys have got to play smarter.

6.  It was a game of momentum shifts.  UND dominated territorially in the first but it didn't translate into shots on goal.  WMU dominated territorially in the second and it did translate into shots on goal.  WMU continued territory domination into the third until the goal review.  After that delay, WMU came out flatter and UND picked it up.  UND dominated until the end.

7.  On Boeser's first goal, it was not long after he had hit the crossbar and he was in his prime shooting zone in front of the net.  I was certain he would score and he did not disappoint.

8.  The coaching staff was changing line combinations, especially in the second period.  That may have helped contribute to UND's underwhelming performance as things were getting mixed up.

9.  At the end of the second period Berry tried to talk to the ref from about 25 feet away.  Berry did it quite nicely without any gesturing, but the ref didn't want any part of it.  He told Berry in no uncertain terms that he didn't want to hear any of it and to get the heck off the ice for the period break (they had to walk along the ice to the corner to get to the locker room).

10.  Lawson Lunatics - Yes, they do get into the game but I've seen better at Michigan Tech and at Wisconsin back they were a good team.  Their cheers consisted of:

*Whiney Bitch - whenever a UND player even got close to the officials during a stoppage of play.  Then they would stop when the WMU player came over to participate.

*Are You Pissed? - They did this during the non-goal review, presumably because they were sure it was a goal.

*Ugly Parents - They cheered this after Boeser scored his first goal.  It didn't reappear after he scored his second.

They also turned their backs during the UND player introductions.  The student section, which is one whole side of the ice, was quite full.  The rest of the arena, not so much.  There were plenty of empty seats available.

11.  It was interesting, but I don't know if we will make this trip again.  There are some sites to see in Kalamazoo.  I just got back from the Air Zoo, an aircraft museum.

On January 30, 2016 at 8:17 PM, siouxfan512 said:

Classy

Saw this Friday night. This was response to the post that quoted WM fans chanting " whiny bi_tch". (whiney?). How does that compare with what we hear regularly at our games?  "Who's he, he sucks sh.." And F... The Gophers"?  What we do is just as bad if not worse isn't it? 

12 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Saw this Friday night. This was response to the post that quoted WM fans chanting " whiny bi_tch". (whiney?). How does that compare with what we hear regularly at our games?  "Who's he, he sucks sh.." And F... The Gophers"?  What we do is just as bad if not worse isn't it? 

Honestly, aren't all student sections like that? They're not in church. Their job is to be as obnoxious as possible. So I had no problem with WMU and at least their fans get into the game unlike a lot of places.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Honestly, aren't all student sections like that? They're not in church. Their job is to be as obnoxious as possible. So I had no problem with WMU and at least their fans get into the game unlike a lot of places.

I will second this. I know the student section in the old REA was all over the visiting team from warm-ups to the final buzzer. But some people on here think every home game should be like church, so don't expect to change any minds.

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I will second this. I know the student section in the old REA was all over the visiting team from warm-ups to the final buzzer. But some people on here think every home game should be like church, so don't expect to change any minds.

Exactly why do you think people refer to it as ST Ralph's Cathedral. Specifically ushers in the student sections. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Exactly why do you think people refer to it as ST Ralph's Cathedral. Specifically ushers in the student sections. 

I saw visiting players (Bill Butters among them) get in fights with fans on their way off the ice at the old Barn. 

That place was a lot smaller and a lot colder, but it was intense.  The cymbals player would crash the cymbals in the opponents face when they went up against the chicken wire at the students' end.   Chicken wire. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

No, not all student sections are as  crude as ours. There are fans everywhere who are worse as individuals and small groups,  but as  an entire student section ours isn't very classy.   I also don't expect it to be like church.  I expect it to be a sporting event where people know the difference between being loud and obnoxious and crossing the line of what is acceptable.  If our students can't do better than that, they aren't very clever. I guess I expect more from UND students.  One blogger seemed miffed that another school would yell something at us, and I just pointed out that we  aren't any better.   If our students yell what they yell then we shouldn't  complain if we are called  "whiney bi.ches".  If so, it would then  seem the WMU students are spot on. I was a student fan once and we didn't have to be that crude to harass other teams and we were certainly able to get the attention of the other players, coaches and the refs.  I also don't think it is going to change, and I won't lose sleep over it, I just think being clever rather than crude is more effective in harassing other teams and a better image for our students and fans.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

No, not all student sections are as  crude as ours. There are fans everywhere who are worse as individuals and small groups,  but as  an entire student section ours isn't very classy.   I also don't expect it to be like church.  I expect it to be a sporting event where people know the difference between being loud and obnoxious and crossing the line of what is acceptable.  If our students can't do better than that, they aren't very clever. I guess I expect more from UND students.  One blogger seemed miffed that another school would yell something at us, and I just pointed out that we  aren't any better.   If our students yell what they yell then we shouldn't  complain if we are called  "whiney bi.ches".  If so, it would then  seem the WMU students are spot on. I was a student fan once and we didn't have to be that crude to harass other teams and we were certainly able to get the attention of the other players, coaches and the refs.  I also don't think it is going to change, and I won't lose sleep over it, I just think being clever rather than crude is more effective in harassing other teams and a better image for our students and fans.

Right on.     Back in the 80's we chanted "who's he, he sucks" but never took it further and I still don't see the point.    In fact, it's less rhythmic so in my mind it's not even as good from a chant standpoint.  But I suppose I have my old man pants on now.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, dagies said:

Right on.     Back in the 80's we chanted "who's he, he sucks" but never took it further and I still don't see the point.    In fact, it's less rhythmic so in my mind it's not even as good from a chant standpoint.  But I suppose I have my old man pants on now.

I agree Dagies. As a parent, I hate having to explain to my daughter why the students say that. Who's he, he sucks ______! Is classless. 

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, dagies said:

If you were sitting in the same section I was you heard me yelling "Who's she, she sucks $#!t!" when every opposing player was announced before the puck drop.  "Phu-king sieve"(repeat) when a goal was scored, and a few other less ritualistic taunts at refs (Ricci for sure)  and other players (Pitlick was an obvious target).   The Farce was half way over the glass into the penalty box whenever an opponent sat within, and half way over the glass when play was along the boards in front of them.  And I thought it was a great atmosphere.  That said, I'm sure that parents and grandparents on the other side of the arena could have gone without, BUT...in a conversation I had (years later) with a former Gopher trainer, I was told that the atmosphere in that arena was the most intimidating and unfriendly place to play in the WCHA (according to the team).  That made me feel like a good fan for helping my team out.  Or at least, I justified it that way. 

• Upvote 2

I too just got back from Kalamazoo.  Good to see so many other Sioux, er, Hawks fans.  Including the 'ugly parents', I figured around 150 scatter around the rink.  I had not problem with the lunatics and their chants.  They were into it,   Not sure why, but something Keaton did had them on "#4" all night Saturday night.  Rink was all right for hockey. An usher told me it seats 2500.  She asked how many our home rink sat.  Did what I could not to sound like I was bragging.

The non-student fans were very friendly as were the ushers.  They seemed appreciative and curious that people would drive from Bismarck (my brother) to watch this hockey team.  It was apparent that the community does not follow the hockey team very closely.  Most people did not know where we were from (in our UND gear), and did not know that the Broncos were even playing hockey that night.  Lots of fun breweries in town. But I can only drink so much beer.  I never felt unsafe downtown at night after the game. but it was pretty quite for a weekend night.  Houghton and Omaha downtowns are much more interesting.  (Wish we still played Tech).

If I were to bring Mrs. Squirtcoach, I think we would stay in South Haven. It is a neat coastal town on Lake Michigan about 35 miles from Lawson.  Lots of boutique shops and sites.  the ice had been piling up this i=winter and was a interesting formation.  We visited there Saturday morning on the advice of some locals we met at the game, and it was worth it.

So would I go back?  Maybe.  But next year we have Oxford (and Chicago) in our sites.  

4 hours ago, 808287 said:

If you were sitting in the same section I was you heard me yelling "Who's she, she sucks $#!t!" when every opposing player was announced before the puck drop.  "Phu-king sieve"(repeat) when a goal was scored, and a few other less ritualistic taunts at refs (Ricci for sure)  and other players (Pitlick was an obvious target).   The Farce was half way over the glass into the penalty box whenever an opponent sat within, and half way over the glass when play was along the boards in front of them.  And I thought it was a great atmosphere.  That said, I'm sure that parents and grandparents on the other side of the arena could have gone without, BUT...in a conversation I had (years later) with a former Gopher trainer, I was told that the atmosphere in that arena was the most intimidating and unfriendly place to play in the WCHA.  That made me feel like a good fan for helping my team out.  Or at least, I justified it that way. 

Oh, we must not have been in the same section but I'm sure you are correct and it could have happened.  I'll wager it could have been just as intimidating without the "sxxt" and some of the rest.  But that's just me.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dagies said:

Oh, we must not have been in the same section but I'm sure you are correct and it could have happened.  I'll wager it could have been just as intimidating without the "sxxt" and some of the rest.  But that's just me.

I don't disagree with that conclusion.  For what it's worth, I didn't invent the chants, just joined in.  Coming from a rather reserved high school athletic setting, I was surprised to attend my first game as a frosh and see such "activity" from the student section; but it resonated with me and I liked it immediately.  Those games are some of my most fond memories from UND.  I never threw a gopher, and wasn't the person who brought the live goose into the arena, but I reveled in such acts and embraced the zoo-like atmosphere.  

And it secretly warmed my heart to see a badger hit the ice during the Anthem back about 2007, or so.

Should we move on from there?  Sure, "we" should.  We're not students any more.  As for the students, this is their team and the arena should always house a good number of seats along the glass and give another generation of youngsters the opportunity to cheer in their own way.  

Now a word of caution to fans of other teams who may read this.  Hawks are a protected animal.  Not sayin', just sayin' .

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, 808287 said:

I don't disagree with that conclusion.  For what it's worth, I didn't invent the chants, just joined in.  Coming from a rather reserved high school athletic setting, I was surprised to attend my first game as a frosh and see such "activity" from the student section; but it resonated with me and I liked it immediately.  Those games are some of my most fond memories from UND.  I never threw a gopher, and wasn't the person who brought the live goose into the arena, but I reveled in such acts and embraced the zoo-like atmosphere.  

And it secretly warmed my heart to see a badger hit the ice during the Anthem back about 2007, or so.

Should we move on from there?  Sure, "we" should.  We're not students any more.  As for the students, this is their team and the arena should always house a good number of seats along the glass and give another generation of youngsters the opportunity to cheer in their own way.  

Now a word of caution to fans of other teams who may read this.  Hawks are a protected animal.  Not sayin', just sayin' .

Personally, I'm ok with a student section that rides the line but it seems my line of acceptability at hockey games may differ from others.  It's much better than other arenas I've been in where students are non-existent. 

I must be the only one who doesn't mind the "who is he, he sucks s***" chant. Like '808287' said, I love the zoo like atmosphere and the hostile atmosphere that visitors are forced to play in.

They've been doing it since I started going to games as a kid and I turned out ok... I think :)

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, 808287 said:

If you were sitting in the same section I was you heard me yelling "Who's she, she sucks $#!t!" when every opposing player was announced before the puck drop.  "Phu-king sieve"(repeat) when a goal was scored, and a few other less ritualistic taunts at refs (Ricci for sure)  and other players (Pitlick was an obvious target).   The Farce was half way over the glass into the penalty box whenever an opponent sat within, and half way over the glass when play was along the boards in front of them.  And I thought it was a great atmosphere.  That said, I'm sure that parents and grandparents on the other side of the arena could have gone without, BUT...in a conversation I had (years later) with a former Gopher trainer, I was told that the atmosphere in that arena was the most intimidating and unfriendly place to play in the WCHA.  That made me feel like a good fan for helping my team out.  Or at least, I justified it that way. 

Well that sounds great if you are trying to intimidate the trainer. I am sure you had lots of fun yelling stuff like that ( who wouldn't ?).

Back then,  I thought getting crushed by Howard Walker, Ludwig or Eades  made us more intimidating than fans shouting F bombs but I may be wrong.   I would hate to count on college hockey players who are  "intimidated"  by fans.  I was at almost every home hockey game at the old Ralph from the first game til the new Ralph, except for time in the military from 87-91.   Fans occasionally leaned over the glass (I did). Students didn't usually lean into the penalty box but Bruce Tellman sat behind the visitors and he was the only one who consistently caught the attention of the opposing players and sometimes the refs. The student section was on the players side. I am of the opinion that we can still be the most "intimidating" place to play without f bombs and he sucks sh--. I can't imagine being a D1 hockey player and being intimidated by fans.  There is crowd noise but the players don't usually know what fans are yelling. I am realistic enough to know this is unlikely to change,  but I guess I have higher expectations of our fans and students. I guess most students would disagree with me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

By no means do I have a clean mouth at a hockey game but I do try to know who's around me and if there are kids in the vicinity I try to at least clean up.

I think my main point is that a crowd doesn't require profanity to be intimidating.    I'm not going to crumb too much on the student section because a big part of the game day experience is due to their energy.   So I don't want to stifle that.  I'd just hope people realize that profanity itself isn't intimidating, so there's little point to it.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dagies said:

By no means do I have a clean mouth at a hockey game but I do try to know who's around me and if there are kids in the vicinity I try to at least clean up.

I think my main point is that a crowd doesn't require profanity to be intimidating.    I'm not going to crumb too much on the student section because a big part of the game day experience is due to their energy.   So I don't want to stifle that.  I'd just hope people realize that profanity itself isn't intimidating, so there's little point to it.  

I'd agree with that

59 minutes ago, dagies said:

I don't think anyone is stating or insinuating that profanity is intimidating on its own, however it is a product of the charged environment on game days.  When I went to the Old Ralph in the 90s, my parents knew I heard some of the chants and they just made it known that I wasn't allowed to participate... and that was the end of it.  As a kid, I thought the chants were funny but I knew if I repeated them I'd be in a world of hurt.