SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS @ Western Mich - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

4 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Well that sounds great if you are trying to intimidate the trainer. I am sure you had lots of fun yelling stuff like that ( who wouldn't ?).

Back then,  I thought getting crushed by Howard Walker, Ludwig or Eades  made us more intimidating than fans shouting F bombs but I may be wrong.   I would hate to count on college hockey players who are  "intimidated"  by fans.  I was at almost every home hockey game at the old Ralph from the first game til the new Ralph, except for time in the military from 87-91.   Fans occasionally leaned over the glass (I did). Students didn't usually lean into the penalty box but Bruce Tellman sat behind the visitors and he was the only one who consistently caught the attention of the opposing players and sometimes the refs. The student section was on the players side. I am of the opinion that we can still be the most "intimidating" place to play without f bombs and he sucks sh--. I can't imagine being a D1 hockey player and being intimidated by fans.  There is crowd noise but the players don't usually know what fans are yelling. I am realistic enough to know this is unlikely to change,  but I guess I have higher expectations of our fans and students. I guess most students would disagree with me.

I don't think what the crowd does is really intimidating but rather it adds that little extra push to piss off an opponent. It doesn't work on every player but it will work on some. All it took to make Eades snap and jump into the opponent's bench was a water bottle. He was obviously already angry but the water bottle pushed him over the edge. Something a student said must have gotten to that BU player a couple years ago that made him hit a fan with his stick, which should have resulted in him being thrown out of the game. Anything the crowd can do to throw a player off of his game should be done in my opinion. WMU student section was trying to do it this weekend with Keaton, but he didn't let it get to him. 

Is it necessary to swear to accomplish this? No it isn't, but it is what it is. I personally think spelling out "condom", "orgy", or "sex" is a stupid cheer but its what they do so I join in. And nothing annoys me more than when a "F the Gophers" chant starts when we aren't playing Minnesota. I miss when all it took to get the Ralph rocking was the "let's go Sioux" chant. Now it lasts like 20 seconds and is done by at most a quarter of the arena.

I do wish the student section had some more chants that the entire crowd, including children, could get into. It would also be nice if more than just the student section would get into the post goal celebration. Whenever I'm not in the student section I almost feel awkward celebrating a goal because no one around me is celebrating. It doesn't take much to move your arms during Chelsea Dagger or join in on the fight song and sieve.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I don't think what the crowd does is really intimidating but rather it adds that little extra push to piss off an opponent. It doesn't work on every player but it will work on some. All it took to make Eades snap and jump into the opponent's bench was a water bottle. He was obviously already angry but the water bottle pushed him over the edge. Something a student said must have gotten to that BU player a couple years ago that made him hit a fan with his stick, which should have resulted in him being thrown out of the game. Anything the crowd can do to throw a player off of his game should be done in my opinion. WMU student section was trying to do it this weekend with Keaton, but he didn't let it get to him. 

Is it necessary to swear to accomplish this? No it isn't, but it is what it is. I personally think spelling out "condom", "orgy", or "sex" is a stupid cheer but its what they do so I join in. And nothing annoys me more than when a "F the Gophers" chant starts when we aren't playing Minnesota. I miss when all it took to get the Ralph rocking was the "let's go Sioux" chant. Now it lasts like 20 seconds and is done by at most a quarter of the arena.

I do wish the student section had some more chants that the entire crowd, including children, could get into. It would also be nice if more than just the student section would get into the post goal celebration. Whenever I'm not in the student section I almost feel awkward celebrating a goal because no one around me is celebrating. It doesn't take much to move your arms during Chelsea Dagger or join in on the fight song and sieve.

When the whole crowd really got into those "Let's Go Sioux" chants at the games it would give me goosebumps.  The last time I've heard similar ones were at the Fargo Regional last year.  You could feel the crowd trying to will the team to score.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=832376606871911&id=143365782439667

42 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

When the whole crowd really got into those "Let's Go Sioux" chants at the games it would give me goosebumps.  The last time I've heard similar ones were at the Fargo Regional last year.  You could feel the crowd trying to will the team to score.

Best atmosphere I've experienced. 

• Upvote 1