SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks vs. CC Tigers

AZSIOUX

42 minutes ago, brianvf said:

would suck but at the same time, this lineup should be able to sweep without them.  Funny how i didn't even notice that Wolanin was out last weekend... lol  UND is deep!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

Geez! Is it just me, or has UND had more than their share of injuries the last, oh, 5 years?

And it always seems like it's our top players most of the time. I think the NC$$ put a jinx on us. I know it's hockey but when is the last time the Sioux want a whole season without an injury, other teams seem to do it :/

7 hours ago, hrkac said:

would suck but at the same time, this lineup should be able to sweep without them.  Funny how i didn't even notice that Wolanin was out last weekend... lol  UND is deep!

Not only that.   One of the things we know we need is more scoring from other lines.   If Caggiula and Schmaltz are out, others will have to deliver for them to win.   What better time could that happen than early in the second half with 4 home games against bottom tier opponents?   We know any team can beat any other team on any given night (and CC seems to be playing a much better game after a disastrous start), but still . . .  if you were to pick a time for this to happen, this isn't bad. 

• Upvote 1

I'm scared about this weekend. The only game Caggiula has missed this year was the Friday Wisconsin game and that game was not pretty. The only games missed by Schmaltz was Huntsville series and that Friday night game wasn't very pretty either. CC has been playing well and probably is better than Wisconsin (maybe equal with Wisconsin) or Huntsville. This is a huge series as far positioning for Penrose and postseason play. CC is really the only team remaining on our schedule that could hurt our standing in the Pairwise badly. 

1 hour ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I'm scared about this weekend. The only game Caggiula has missed this year was the Friday Wisconsin game and that game was not pretty. The only games missed by Schmaltz was Huntsville series and that Friday night game wasn't very pretty either. CC has been playing well and probably is better than Wisconsin (maybe equal with Wisconsin) or Huntsville. This is a huge series as far positioning for Penrose and postseason play. CC is really the only team remaining on our schedule that could hurt our standing in the Pairwise badly. 

Sure, it wouldn't help to lose or tie to CC in terms of PWR, but badly is debateable. A loss may drop us a couple spots, but, at this point, there's no reason to really worry about it. Just gotta go get it done.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Hoping that the boys are aware that they've played poorly in the past without their superstars, and that they're ready to go. Otherwise, yeah, it could be a tough night. But I think they'll be ready to go.

It sounds like all of Schmaltz, Caggiula, Wilkie, and Wolanin will be out tonight.  While our defense remains almost intact, our forward group is a mess.  I know he has been playing extremely well this year, but should Poolman be moved up to account for the injuries at forward?  Possibly roll with something like this:

Chyzyk-Gardner-Boeser

Gersich-Johnson-Poganski

Janatuinen-Simonson-Poolman

Olson-Sanderson-St. Clair

Gornall

Stecher-Ausmus

LaDue-Thompson

Shaw

Use Gornall to periodically spell St. Clair if he still needs it.  The defenseman should be fine rolling with just 5.  Poolman is also there to move back if need be.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, as15 said:

It sounds like all of Schmaltz, Caggiula, Wilkie, and Wolanin will be out tonight.  While our defense remains almost intact, our forward group is a mess.  I know he has been playing extremely well this year, but should Poolman be moved up to account for the injuries at forward?  Possibly roll with something like this:

Chyzyk-Gardner-Boeser

Gersich-Johnson-Poganski

Janatuinen-Simonson-Poolman

Olson-Sanderson-St. Clair

Gornall

Stecher-Ausmus

LaDue-Thompson

Shaw

Use Gornall to periodically spell St. Clair if he still needs it.  The defenseman should be fine rolling with just 5.  Poolman is also there to move back if need be.

Poolman will stay at D.

Your first 2 lines look good but I think Gersich and Chyzyk flip spots.

My guess is then:

JJ Simo St. Clair

Olson Sanderson Gornall

• Upvote 1

If Schmaltz is also out it does suck from a conference title perspective but assuming these guys can all heal up for the end of the year run this could have a silver lining.   Guys have an opportunity to learn how to win without all the big stars in the lineup.  If they can be successful, that could make a better team later in the year

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dagies said:

If Schmaltz is also out it does suck from a conference title perspective but assuming these guys can all heal up for the end of the year run this could have a silver lining.   Guys have an opportunity to learn how to win without all the big stars in the lineup.  If they can be successful, that could make a better team later in the year

My perspective is that it would be really nice to get the regional in St. Paul if the gophers don't make it there.  If St. Cloud finishes ahead of us in the Pairwise, would they get placed there rather than us?  It would be huge for us to have a regional with great fan support for the second straight year.  

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

My perspective is that it would be really nice to get the regional in St. Paul if the gophers don't make it there.  If St. Cloud finishes ahead of us in the Pairwise, would they get placed there rather than us?  It would be huge for us to have a regional with great fan support for the second straight year.  

If MN doesn't make the NCAA tournament I would be shocked if UND was not placed at the X......would easily be the most attended  regional under any other possible scenario that could happen.

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If MN doesn't make the NCAA tournament I would be shocked if UND was not placed at the X......would easily be the most attended  regional under any other possible scenario that could happen.

If SCSU is ahead of us in PWR and we are both 1 seeds, they'll be at the X. The NCAA is not smart enough to know SCSU won't draw big crowds. 

This has happened before. In 2010, they put SCSU and Wisconsin at the X and we were shipped east. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

If SCSU is ahead of us in PWR and we are both 1 seeds, they'll be at the X. The NCAA is not smart enough to know SCSU won't draw big crowds. 

This has happened before. In 2010, they put SCSU and Wisconsin at the X and we were shipped east. 

Makes this stretch run, all the more important. Playing a regional at the X would be HUGE. Maybe not as much for the players, but definitely the fans. That being said, I'm sure the players would rather play in a  rowdy Xcel environment with a favorable fan base over an mostly empty arena in cincy.

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Could you imagine their fans howling if they didn't get play in the Xcel Energy Center. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Makes this stretch run, all the more important. Playing a regional at the X would be HUGE. Maybe not as much for the players, but definitely the fans. That being said, I'm sure the players would rather play in a  rowdy Xcel environment with a favorable fan base over an mostly empty arena in cincy.

Changing the subject slightly, do we know yet what the puck drop times would be at the X vs. Cincy for the semis and regional finals? or if it's Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun?

Will be in Vegas so need to plan my schedule around those times....

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Changing the subject slightly, do we know yet what the puck drop times would be at the X vs. Cincy for the semis and regional finals? or if it's Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun?

X is Sat/Sun and Cincy is Fri/Sat. I just googled it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I don't think they schedule the times until the brackets are in place, but I could be wrong.