SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks vs. CC Tigers

AZSIOUX

UND comes off a split vs UNO while CC had a bye.

***UND has won 9 of last 10, 3-1 since new year 

***CAM leads nation in save % .949 and goals against average 1.284

***SCHMALTZ 2nd in nation assists 24, leader 29 

***CC last series was two weeks ago in st cloud and they split 

UND 19-3-2 -- 10-2-0-0 nchc 3rd pairwise 

CC 5-17-0 -- 3-9-0-0 nchc  52nd pairwise

image.jpg

• Downvote 1

CC has been playing much better hockey the past month and a half. Two weeks ago at St. Cloud was their best weekend of the season-and all that without the services of their leading scorer Trey Bradley who was suspended two games by the league for a nasty head contact check down in Huntsville. UND should not-and will not-take CC lightly but I still think UND has way more depth and should win both games. CC I think has found their goalie in freshman Jacob Nehama so get lots of pucks to the net and greasy goals, like Sanderson's fantastic, gritty goal last night.

Not sure who was more excited last night for that Sanderson goal, Sanderson or me. I know posters bust on him, but the amount of character he's showed is incredible. Just staying at the program through his senior without getting a sniff of playing action speaks volumes.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, siouxstudent said:

I dont expect to have Drake for this series, we didnt play well vs Wiscy the Friday he was out. Lets not let that happen again. Gotta sweep

Obviously, Drake being healthy and playing is the ideal option, but I think Gersich looked good up on that line after Drake went out.  It's almost as if there was an extra level of effort on his part in order to play on par with Boeser and Schmaltz.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, keikla said:

Obviously, Drake being healthy and playing is the ideal option, but I think Gersich looked good up on that line after Drake went out.  It's almost as if there was an extra level of effort on his part in order to play on par with Boeser and Schmaltz.

I like Gersich on that line. Believe he started the season with them and put up some points.

15 minutes ago, keikla said:

but I think Gersich looked good up on that line after Drake went out.  It's almost as if there was an extra level of effort on his part in order to play on par with Boeser and Schmaltz.

Yep - I agree. I thought he played well on that line. Not that I don't want DC back - just saying I think it'd be okay.

I can't remember where I read it, but CC has major struggles scoring in the first period.  Part of the reason they beat St. Cloud is because CC got two goals in the opening period.  Hold them off for the first 20 minutes, and we're sitting pretty.

If anyone can find the article I'm referencing, I'd appreciate the link.  It was a midyear eval of all NCHC teams.  I don't like posting info without crediting the peoples.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:20 PM, keikla said:

So nothing out there for sure yet on Cags injury or have I just missed it? 

No mention of Cags:

UND is expected to be without freshman forward Chris Wilkie for a couple of weeks after the Omaha native sustained an undisclosed arm injury Friday. Wilkie was forced to miss Saturday's game.

Wilkie had one of his best college games Friday night, but sustained the injury in the third period of UND's 4-3 overtime loss to the Mavericks.

Defenseman Christian Wolanin is supposed to be available again for UND, though. Wolanin missed last weekend's series with an undisclosed injury.

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

How long does a separated shoulder take to heal?  4-6 weeks?

Seems like it should be quicker for hockey players, since they don't have to raise their arms above their shoulders very often and can strap that arm down a little closer. 

That is an uneducated, unqualified observation, needless to say.    

3 hours ago, burd said:

Worth noting also that CC only lost 2-1 in the other game at Cloud.   Bad idea to underestimate any team in this conference. 

Plus, it's worth noting that a lot of St. Cloud's shots came in the third period when CC had already built a 5-1 lead and by that point, CC played a much more defensive posture in order to simply protect their lead.

15 minutes ago, burd said:

Seems like it should be quicker for hockey players, since they don't have to raise their arms above their shoulders very often and can strap that arm down a little closer. 

That is an uneducated, unqualified observation, needless to say.    

You must have stayed at a HIE last night................