SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. UNO Mavericks - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, gsiouxo said:

Go back and watch third gaol at end of second…#27 had guy on boards and didn't touch him..a poke check and period runs out….obviously Johnson/GFC has a ton of pull…..sit his ass

By that logic maybe Poolman should be sat down as well.  He's the one who went for the pinch in the neutral zone, missed everything, and opened up the 2 on 1 for the game winner.  They'll figure in out for tomorrow night.  

Look at it like this: We played one of our worst games of the season and we still had a chance to win it in the 3rd, but Boeser hit the crossbar on a 2 on 1. We'll come back tomorrow and play a much stronger, all-around game. And I really want to shove it down Taco Boy's throat tomorrow, that guy is a snot-nosed punk.

• Upvote 1

You cannot blame Cam on this loss...ridiculous to think he should've had any of those.  We lost because Omaha forced us to play their game.  The backbreaker was truly the goal with no time left in the second...should never happen.  boys will be ready to go tomorrow.  I expect a laugher.

• Upvote 1

1) entertaining game, lots of pressure rather than neutral zone traps.  too bad they didn't win it.

2) Johnson isn't as good a goalie as stats say.  bad turnovers and sloppy possession were capitalized upon and as mentioned, his glove was exploited.

3) Brandt has the hockey knowledge that hammer lacks, not unlike kober.  Just wish he could spit out that insight...quicker...and more...better...

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Look at it like this: We played one of our worst games of the season and we still had a chance to win it in the 3rd, but Boeser hit the crossbar on a 2 on 1. We'll come back tomorrow and play a much stronger, all-around game. And I really want to shove it down Taco Boy's throat tomorrow, that guy is a snot-nosed punk.

Boeser don't hit crossbars. :p

I think you're talking about the play where Boeser was the passer. Rhett hit the crossbar. 

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

1) entertaining game, lots of pressure rather than neutral zone traps.  too bad they didn't win it.

2) Johnson isn't as good a goalie as stats say.  bad turnovers and sloppy possession were capitalized upon and as mentioned, his glove was exploited.

3) Brandt has the hockey knowledge that hammer lacks, not unlike kober.  Just wish he could spit out that insight...quicker...and more...better...

This was not Cam's fault. He can't play defense in front of himself and he can't score goals for us. I am sick of every loss our team suffers being blamed on our goaltending. Ever since Karl Goehring graduated, our fans have always thrown whomever is starting between the pipes under the bus when we lose. If we take care of the puck better, we win this game. Heck, if we block that last shot of the 2nd period, then our last goal of the game would have been the game winner instead of the game tying goal. The entire team needs to come out and play a full 60 minutes tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Didn't we sweep a 9th ranked Denver team at the time? Or are you choosing current rankings?

Current. As it paints a more accurate picture of how good teams are or are not.

The NCHC is pretty top heavy right now with SCSU, UNO, and UND.

Nothing to be ashamed about splitting with those two teams. They are rated #2 and #3 in the Pairwise.

UND had some expected rust from the holiday break and world juniors. Nothing unexpected. They'll be back, and barring a major second half collapse are a lock for the playoffs, where anything can happen. They are just playing for some conference hardware now, which UND still currently leads considering games played. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Good point. We will NOT waltz through this league schedule, this isn't the Big 10 after all! :p

If anyone thought UND was going to waltz through the season, they might want to go back and review last season. This conference is a war. 

• Upvote 1

It is easy to understand frustration--we all probably feel it.  But I hope the team panics less than we tend to do.  

We know this team has a mix of special talent and hustle.   We also know they had a soft schedule the first half, that the conference schedule was going to be a dogfight, and that we would lose some games.  We know Boeser is a freshman.   We don't know but can probably assume that each of those players wants to win these games more than we do.  Most of us probably remember that the Sioux team we place at the alter, the Circus, lost 8 games.  

This odds are this group will not win the Banner.  They might not win the Penrose.  But they will do their very best and, depending on who leaves this summer, this might be the most talented, entertaining group of hockey players we see wearing green for a while.   Enjoy it.  We don't even have to get up off the couch to do that. 

This really isn't a preach.  I'm talking to myself as much as anyone. 

Actual hockey talk?  I'm anxious to see Tomek under some fire, but you probably don't sit Johnson tonight for confidence reasons. 

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

We fell into the age old trap- we played their game, not ours...the master just reminded the student...

This team has lost 3 games....3 all season to date but this was without question a poorly played game by UND.

Dino throws out a goalie making his FIRST collegiate start. He pairs his top line against any of ours but the CBS line almost all night. He comes away with an OT road win. 

Last night "master" out coached the"student"........and it wasn't close.

UNO's top line had 9.....NINE......points last night. Has no one at UND, coach or player, heard about, played against or watched Ortega before? Or Guentzel? UND has a terrific top line but UNO is a one line team........UND needs to figure that out before 7:07 pm. If you play UNO you know who can beat you. 

• Upvote 3

I think tonight Berry should move Johnson to the 3rd or 4th line or bench him for a game and maybe put Gersich on the 2nd line but we know that's not gonna happen. LJ is not producing and he takes dumb penalties all the time, if he was scoring it would be a little different but he's not, so move him or bench him!

1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

I think tonight Berry should move Johnson to the 3rd or 4th line or bench him for a game and maybe put Gersich on the 2nd line but we know that's not gonna happen. LJ is not producing and he takes dumb penalties all the time, if he was scoring it would be a little different but he's not, so move him or bench him!

IMO, Berry is more likely to scratch Gersich than a)put him on the second line or b)put LJ on the 3rd/4th line.

Don't like it, but it is what it is.

This game definitely showed the rust UND had from playing lower tier opponents vs UNO getting swept by what should be a good DU team. UND had a lot of grade A chances, but could only bury a few. I thought Johnson's line was pretty decent. They worked hard and generated good chances. Boeser made some big freshman errors, at least one directly lead to a UNO goal. Really, it's like Jackson said, most of UNO's goals were off UND's tape. Clean that up, and they should win tonight.