SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FIGHTING HAWKS vs. DU Pioneers - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Giving my honest opinion:

I'm starting to absolutely hate this "Fighting Sioux" forever nonsense. I sat next to fellow students who I asked what they voted for, "Fighting Hawks because it was the best option," they replied. 

All of a sudden, "Fighting Hawks at full strength!" And those same students boo'd. Are you f***king kidding me????? Is that a practical joke?? You vote for a name then boo your school and your team??? I can't stand it. I didn't vote for F-Hawks in any rounds of voting, but I accept that's what the majority voted for. I'll cheer for Fighting Hawks, Roughriders, NoDaks, hell I'd even cheer for Sundogs if that's what the majority voted for. 

This is done, the school moved on. You may stick to Fighting Sioux, but the school is moving forward. Don't boo your alma mater, your favorite team. Cheer for UND. Be an adult. 

Yes.  It is time to move on, shouldn't be booing!  I'm sick of it and also embarrassed.  Great win by UND!

• Upvote 3

After every goal we scored tonight the announcer said your Fighting Hawks scoring & the students booed & then chanted Sioux Forever  & it got louder each time - I even felt kinda bad for the new name :silly:

I swear I heard University of North Dakota scoring, not Fighting Hawks. Am I wrong? Looker said "Fighting Hawks at full strength" after every kill and that definitely brought the boos. Not sure how I feel about it, but I certainly get it.

First game at home with the new name. Pretty much what I expected. I feel like it'll taper off by year's end. Especially if we are playing like we did tonight. Won't matter what we are called. We play defense, special teams and score like we did tonight, the rest of the year, this will be a special run. Awesome stuff.

• Upvote 1

I swear I heard University of North Dakota scoring, not Fighting Hawks. Am I wrong? Looker said "Fighting Hawks at full strength" after every kill and that definitely brought the boos. Not sure how I feel about it, but I certainly get it.

that could be correct my bad

Fun game tonight.  The boys really dominated for the majority of the game and the score could have been even more lopsided then the scoreboard read.

The booing after every time "Fighting Hawks" was used was classic.  My guess this will last from the Student section for some time.  It is ironic based on the notion that the students were mostly responsible for voting for the name, but I think they just picked the best of a piss poor final list of names. If Roughriders would have won, they would have booed just the same, maybe more.  Also another bit of irony was the first time "Fighting Hawks at full strength" was announced, the puck found the back of the net.  It was only the second time of the evening it was stated as Darren Looker slipped it in there casually at the beginning of the game.  The irony was that he said "Fighting Hawks at full strength" and they immediately scored.  It seemed like it caught the players off guard in a moment that was like, "what the hell did he just say?  Crap they just scored."  I think it caught the crowd a little off guard as well because after that moment, every time FH was used, the booing got a little louder.

I will be interested on how the powers to be will react to this warm welcome the new nickname received tonight.  My guess if this type of reaction continues, they will double down and instruct Mr. Looker to use FH for everything.  

• Upvote 1

First game at home with the new name. Pretty much what I expected. I feel like it'll taper off by year's end. Especially if we are playing like we did tonight. Won't matter what we are called. We play defense, special teams and score like we did tonight, the rest of the year, this will be a special run. Awesome stuff.

that is correct

It is what it is. 
I'm so numb at this point I couldn't care less if students and fans boo their school.  I won't boo, I know that.  I might not even wear my Fighting Sioux gear anymore. My friend, who's on one of the athletic teams, already got his Fighting Hawks shirt and I'm all in. (Says the guy who was crazy anti-hawk...irony)  
Fun win for the F-Hawks, and I'll be lookin for a similar win tomorrow night!! Although Denver will most certainly come out flying! Should be a fun one! See you guys tomorrow!

It is what it is. 
I'm so numb at this point I couldn't care less if students and fans boo their school.  I won't boo, I know that.  I might not even wear my Fighting Sioux gear anymore. My friend, who's on one of the athletic teams, already got his Fighting Hawks shirt and I'm all in. (Says the guy who was crazy anti-hawk...irony)  
Fun win for the F-Hawks, and I'll be lookin for a similar win tomorrow night!! Although Denver will most certainly come out flying! Should be a fun one! See you guys tomorrow!

What size is your Sioux stuff? I'll buy it since you seem to have a huge issue with something that should have been totally expected.

• Upvote 4

I'd say the CBS line is better than the Pony Express line and is on par with the DOT line. 

NS has been unreal so far this season. Drake is completely underrated as a 2 way player and Boesser will be a top 6 NHLer.

• Upvote 1

I'd say the CBS line is better than the Pony Express line and is on par with the DOT line. 

NS has been unreal so far this season. Drake is completely underrated as a 2 way player and Boesser will be a top 6 NHLer.

Agree.   If they could keep this up for a full season, comparisons to the Hrkac Circus are also in order.  

I'd agree.  And I'd also say that with the D we have, this is as talented a team as they have had in a long time.   Goal is still under review. 

Have to think the CBS line is improving Drake's chances to sign a contract at season's end.  There was an offensive zone play in the third when he had the puck with two DU players right on top of him.  Drake fell to the ice and still stick handled away from the DU players while managing to get back up and get a pass off.  It was unreal.

Have to think the CBS line is improving Drake's chances to sign a contract at season's end.  There was an offensive zone play in the third when he had the puck with two DU players right on top of him.  Drake fell to the ice and still stick handled away from the DU players while managing to get back up and get a pass off.  It was unreal.

I recall that very clearly.   It's gotten to the point where opponents are giving all three of those guys space on the PP (and even 5 on 5), knowing each one of them can get out just about any one-man pressure and dish the puck.  There's three guys who can maintain possession on the ice at one time (and two top notch Dmen behind them).  Oshie and Toews could maintain possession, and Duncan could snipe, but those guys as a threesome could not maintain like these three.   I'd say Toews could use his reach and skills to maintain better than any of them, but as a threesome I'll take CBS.    Schmaltz is getting to look more like P Kane every game.  There's a world of difference between D1 hockey and the NHL, I know, but he's certainly getting there. 

Of the three, Boeser might have the most to learn on defense, but they excel on D as well.   As was the case with DOT, you better enjoy what you are seeing while you can, because this doesn't come around that often.   

• Upvote 1

He's got a good shot, great creativity and plays defense/backchecks like a banshee. Dude definitely has a shot to get a pro deal at the NHL level. At minimum, he'll be in the A.

I liked Simo's line last night. LJ is basically a lower 6 forward and should be put in that role. Simo and Rhett are equal or better options at this stage.

Time to put Simo Pogo and Olson back together!     They got it done last year.