SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

11 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Also notice that Brandon Miller isn't on the two-deep.  Obviously, there will be changes, though, as we go through fall camp, especially with a great crop of freshmen coming in.

Also, great news that Grady is back on the team, according to Miller, although I still don't see him on the roster.

In all respect to the kid, because I believe he may have been playing hurt, Miller played quite poor against NDSU last season. One of several reasons the offense looked ridiculously bad in that game. Demon Taylor and Dan Bell have the potential to be very good players for UND; also, considering their position coach is a former Wisconsin guard, they'll have high expectations set for them, and rightfully so. 

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

That is one hell of an upgraded depth chart from 2 years ago.  Still very young but fair amount of experience through out.  This should be a very exciting season. 

Depth chart is coming together. Most exciting thing is that this year's team still is not senior heavy; as good as 2016 could be, 2017 should be even better. 

Credit to Bubba and his staff for really putting together a nice roster in terms of futuristic outlook for the entire program. 

12 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Noticeable that Alex Reed isn't listed on here, given how much praise he has received lately. On these boards, he has even been listed above Georges in some scenarios.

Probably a hang nail.

• Upvote 1

With the chemistry that Studsrud and Georges have been building this summer, I expect Georges to easily be the top receiver in 2016. He just has that "it" factor with both his deep-ball speed and underneath quickness. If he stays healthy, 1000 yard season is possible.

7 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

The only new new addition to the roster I see is Michael Coe at OL. 6-3, 300 transfer out of Western New Mexico.

Just guessing Coe starts at G or Center this year.  He knows Luke's system, looks good on film.  Why bring him in for 1 year if not a strong potential of starter.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

With the chemistry that Studsrud and Georges have been building this summer, I expect Georges to be easily be the top receiver. If he stays healthy, 1000 yard season is possible.

Did Clive stay in town much of the summer?  I know I have seen many key players working at local estsblishments this summer. That's great!

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Just guessing Coe starts at G or Center this year.  He knows Luke's system, looks good on film.  Why bring him in for 1 year if not a strong potential of starter.

That was my hunch, too.  That helps depth tremendously and  lets us plug Cox -- the talented utility guy--in wherever we need him most.

5 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

That is one hell of an upgraded depth chart from 2 years ago.  Still very young but fair amount of experience through out.  This should be a very exciting season. 

I'm excited as well!  Especially with news that Grady is on the roster!!   The o line, once they mesh,  could potentially be one of the best in the fcs.  Stockwell, Bell, Aplin, Grady and Taylor......wow!!!!   Just wow!!  Aplin in my only question mark here as I haven't seen him enough to know for sure what he has. Grady and demon on one side almost seems like cheating! Lol. Bubba has done an amazing job in 2-3 years.   He knows the games are won in the trenches and has loaded up the o line and d line with talent!!   Very young talented men with game time experience = exciting!  

If I had to nit pick one thing, it would be the lack of recruiting a proven qb that's scholarship worthy.  Keaton obviously is good and fits the und mold but it became very apparent that when he was out it spells trouble.  Bartles?  Nope!  Heidelbaugh? No clue?  Playing in ND 9 man is quite different then d1.  For many reasons I hope he is the answer.   That's all we have. Unless out of dire necessity, I suppose mollberg could sneak back in there?  They did bring in bolinkse as a pwo.  A whole hell of a lot of questions marks there.  I have always felt the most important position in football requires a minimum 4 schollys on the roster.  To many unknowns happen during the course of the year and/or offseason.  

Keaton is a senior next year and Bartles is gone.   They needed a scholarship qb in this years class.  Add to that, there is only one on the radar so far for the "17" recruiting class.  

2 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Keaton is a senior next year and Bartles is gone.   They needed a scholarship qb in this years class.  Add to that, there is only one on the radar so far for the "17" recruiting class.  

I'm on the Brock Boltmann bandwagon. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I'm excited as well!  Especially with news that Grady is on the roster!!   The o line, once they mesh,  could potentially be one of the best in the fcs.  Stockwell, Bell, Aplin, Grady and Taylor......wow!!!!   Just wow!!  Aplin in my only question mark here as I haven't seen him enough to know for sure what he has. Grady and demon on one side almost seems like cheating! Lol. Bubba has done an amazing job in 2-3 years.   He knows the games are won in the trenches and has loaded up the o line and d line with talent!!   Very young talented men with game time experience = exciting!  

If I had to nit pick one thing, it would be the lack of recruiting a proven qb that's scholarship worthy.  Keaton obviously is good and fits the und mold but it became very apparent that when he was out it spells trouble.  Bartles?  Nope!  Heidelbaugh? No clue?  Playing in ND 9 man is quite different then d1.  For many reasons I hope he is the answer.   That's all we have. Unless out of dire necessity, I suppose mollberg could sneak back in there?  They did bring in bolinkse as a pwo.  A whole hell of a lot of questions marks there.  I have always felt the most important position in football requires a minimum 4 schollys on the roster.  To many unknowns happen during the course of the year and/or offseason.  

Heidelbaugh played 11 man football at Rugby, ND

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

My understanding is the Coe is expected to be the starting center this year.

20 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

I'm excited as well!  Especially with news that Grady is on the roster!!   The o line, once they mesh,  could potentially be one of the best in the fcs.  Stockwell, Bell, Aplin, Grady and Taylor......wow!!!!   Just wow!!  

I'm as excited as anyone about the improvement Bubba has made, and the serious potential that this team has. In attempt to keep expectations realistic, I'm not ready to say our O-Line could be the best in the FCS yet. I certainly hope that this years O-Line will be last years RB position, in terms of it being a question mark going into the season and turning into a huge strength. On paper we definitely looks pretty good, especially with the addition of Coe, and having Grady on the roster.

Huge hope for the O-Line to dominate; it would obviously open up some big holes for Santiago and Company, but it would be great to see Studs have more time to find his man and make us a dual threat offense. Definitely want to see a regular connection between Studs and Clive, and hopefully a health mix of Mercer in there. If receivers can step up early, it would be nice to not have to pull the shirt off Toivenen.

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Pics from the Big Sky Football Kickoff photo shoot:  Looks like Keaton going with the black visor this year!!

Stud.jpg

Interesting look for him. Wish they could have had the new helmets on hand. Not that I'm a huge fan of the logo, and I'm still upset that they are completely getting rid of the ND, but  it is what it is, so I'd definitely like to see it. Also wish they would break out the grey helmets this season.

45 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Pics from the Big Sky Football Kickoff photo shoot:  Looks like Keaton going with the black visor this year!!

For whatever reason, every player who participated in the photo shoot had dark visors on, so I doubt he's wearing it, especially since you need to have some sort of medical clearance to wear anything besides a clear visor in college.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

For whatever reason, every player who participated in the photo shoot had dark visors on, so I doubt he's wearing it, especially since you need to have some sort of medical clearance to wear anything besides a clear visor in college.

really? any idea why this is? Seems like it should be a personal preference kind of thing.

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

really? any idea why this is? Seems like it should be a personal preference kind of thing.

Not really but this NCAA press release says it because "A tinted shield can make it more difficult for the medical staff to evaluate and treat a football student-athlete who sustains a head, neck or facial injury" which makes sense I guess. Google seems to also say that is the reason. They need to be able to see a player's eyes in certain situations to help assess how badly they could be injured.

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not really but this NCAA press release says it because "A tinted shield can make it more difficult for the medical staff to evaluate and treat a football student-athlete who sustains a head, neck or facial injury" which makes sense I guess. Google seems to also say that is the reason. They need to be able to see a player's eyes in certain situations to help assess how badly they could be injured.

ok, that makes sense.