SiouxSports.com Forum

To the No-Voters

ClassB

And would anyone have guessed the level of disconnect between this site and the UND community at large?  Posters on here tend to be a zealous lot, naturally, but I am surprised how little predictive value these discussions have had.  Maybe we sports fans are truly on the fringe.

IDK, that's what I would be interested in knowing. 

Doesn't help that many truly believe they will get a Sioux type logo from it. 

Like all of you, I have seen the litany of anecdotal 'evidence' about this, but I am not convinced.  Any remotely informed voter would know that logos are not yet on the table, and to buy into this line of thinking would call into question the baseline intelligence of an insane number of your peers (students, alumni, etc.).  Is anyone prepared to admit that the UND community is collectively that stupid?

Here's my question, if Fighting Hawks is so bad, why did it win the last two nickname votes? Just throwing it out there. Obviously, someone likes this nickname or it wouldn't be winning. Also, the poll on Sioux Sports, might not be representative of the UND fans base. 

To you I would ask:
A) How big the student body is and how many Hawks voters were there? Correlation.
B) How many North Dakota/Sioux Forever/'I refuse to take part in this joke of a process' people are there? Compare that number to number of non-voters? Correlation.

• Upvote 1

Like all of you, I have seen the litany of anecdotal 'evidence' about this, but I am not convinced.  Any remotely informed voter would know that logos are not yet on the table, and to buy into this line of thinking would call into question the baseline intelligence of an insane number of your peers (students, alumni, etc.).  Is anyone prepared to admit that the UND community is collectively that stupid?

Guess we'll find out when the new logo is unveiled.  On the positive side, it will be yet another Hawks team that Minnesota will have to play second fiddle to in Championships. 

• Upvote 1

Raise Your Hand Gif Images & Pictures - Becuo

• Upvote 2

So, the other universities that have "bird" nicknames are childish and/or have immature fan bases? 

UND is no more privileged than:

Air Force Falcons

Ball State Cardinals

Boston College Eagles

Bowling Green Falcons

Eastern Michigan Eagles

Florida Atlantic Owls

Georgia Southern Eagles

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks

Louisville Cardinals

Miami (OH) Redhawks

Oregon Ducks

Rick Owls

South Carolina Gamecocks

Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Temple Owls

Yes, there are a lot of "bird-related" nicknames, but most of the schools have identifiable logos and, most importantly, do just fine with their athletics. UND can do just fine with marketing and promotions as the Fighting Hawks. Furthermore, UND can be successful on the field, ice, and court as the Fighting Hawks. 

would you wanna be grouped with your list of schools or this list of schools?

Arkansas

Delaware

Florida

Hawaii

Indiana

Maryland

MIchigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

North Carolina

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oregon State

Pennslyvania

South Dakota

Tennessee

Wisconsin

Wyoming

????????

Given what's out there in some social media I'd be interested to find even remotely informed voters. Many seem surprised any of this is happening. 

Doesn't say much for UND and the caliber of the people it attracts (and educates).  :(  But it certainly does make it easy to shrug your shoulders and say that those folks deserve whatever is coming their way.

I think it's just the first stage of grief....  denying reality, and coming up with any cockamamie theory to discredit everyone else's opinions to try and justify why a different choice is viewed favorably by the majority.

• Upvote 2

I can't believe the students have been so suckered in by Dr. Kelley and his inoffensive bird mascot. 

Believe what you want (that logo that'll never happen, that 'hawks' stands as an abbreviation for something else) but when it is Hawks, dear students, Dr. Kelley won. And you, the students, handed it to him. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

In reading comments on facebook and visiting with people in GF, whether in the community or at UND games, it's pretty obvious there is a large portion of "uneducated" voters.  The most common response I get to voting for Fighting Hawks has to do with the "blackhawk" logo floating around and the ability still yell "Fighting Sioux" instead of Fighting Hawks.  Granted, it's a pretty small sample, but there really are some people who have no clue about the whole nickname fiasco...heck, many still think we can bring the Fighting Sioux name back...

I can't believe the students have been so suckered in by Dr. Kelley and his inoffensive bird mascot. 

Believe what you want (that logo that'll never happen, that 'hawks' stands as an abbreviation for something else) but when it is Hawks, dear students, Dr. Kelley won. And you, the students, handed it to him. 

Not showing up to non hockey UND sporting events, holding up stupid signs at a hockey game, voting for a generic nickname based on a logo that will never be used.....Students sure are on a great run right now!!

• Upvote 1

That's what he's saying... Do vote, if you're going to vote for Riders. 

No, that is not what I am saying. I didn't say that. He did and now you are.

I just get tired of people who abstain from voting and them complain about the results. People who can vote and choose not to are part of the problem, not the solution. It would be nice if all eligible voters would vote all the time, but I know that won't happen. I would be thrilled for 50% turnout for this final round of voting.

Well, it beat your choice, Nodaks, not once, but twice. And the margin was even bigger this time.

exactly.  And I'm welcoming the choice of Hawks with open arms,  instead of coming up with asinine ideas of why Hawks  received more votes than my choice,   I would encourage everyone else to do the same, as it will be our new name.

• Upvote 3

People who can vote and choose not to are part of the problem, not the solution. It would be nice if all eligible voters would vote all the time, but I know that won't happen. I would be thrilled for 50% turnout for this final round of voting.

You realize that we do live in a country where you have the right to not vote if you don't  wan too. I am not sure why that's a problem, if they don't feel like voting.

You realize that we do live in a country where you have the right to not vote if you don't  wan too. I am not sure why that's a problem, if they don't feel like voting.

I am not in favor of mandatory voting at all, but people who choose not to vote shouldn't be complaining about results they do not like. That will happen here, I can almost guarantee it.

I am not in favor of mandatory voting at all, but people who choose not to vote shouldn't be complaining about results they do not like. That will happen here, I can almost guarantee it.

Nah, it will be people complaining about not getting the logo that they were "promised".

• Upvote 1