SiouxSports.com Forum

To the No-Voters

ClassB

To those who choose to abstain -

A wise woman once told me: "Its fine to have principles, but sometimes, at the end of the day, that's all you're left with." Like it or not, people will move past Sioux (I sure don't like it). Eventually, you will be at a UND (roughriders, hawks) hockey game, and you will let out a "Sioux yeah yeah!" and you will get glares in response. On that day, you will wish you had voted. Or you will dig in your heels and become a a bitter old man or woman.

To you who wouldn't vote, I implore you to not be short-sighted. I will still be wearing my Sioux gear probably until the end of time. One day, I'm sure I'll buy gear with the new nickname. Make your opinion count today, in a way that you haven't yet (and look where that has gotten us!). This is the last chance for you to legitimize your opinion. On November 16th, it really won't matter why you didn't vote, all you will be is a statistic that chose not to step up to the plate, and therefore comes across as disinterested in the University's athletics.

Well said. I agree 100%. Please, if you are an eligible voter, exercise your right to vote. Those who don't participate in the process thereby give up their right to complain about the results of the process.

• Upvote 3

Well said. I agree 100%. Please, if you are an eligible voter, exercise your right to vote. Those who don't participate in the process thereby give up their right to complain about the results of the process.

As long as it is a vote for Roughriders, right?

So, just like politics, if you don't vote, then no complaining. Got it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

As long as it is a vote for Roughriders, right?

So, just like politics, if you don't vote, then no complaining. Got it. 

Did I say that? No.....you did.

The more people that vote, the more legitimate the process will be. And the easier it will be for the public to accept the results.

I could live with either of the finalists, btw.

To those who choose to abstain -

A wise woman once told me: "Its fine to have principles, but sometimes, at the end of the day, that's all you're left with." Like it or not, people will move past Sioux (I sure don't like it). Eventually, you will be at a UND (roughriders, hawks) hockey game, and you will let out a "Sioux yeah yeah!" and you will get glares in response. On that day, you will wish you had voted. Or you will dig in your heels and become a a bitter old man or woman.

To you who wouldn't vote, I implore you to not be short-sighted. I will still be wearing my Sioux gear probably until the end of time. One day, I'm sure I'll buy gear with the new nickname. Make your opinion count today, in a way that you haven't yet (and look where that has gotten us!). This is the last chance for you to legitimize your opinion. On November 16th, it really won't matter why you didn't vote, all you will be is a statistic that chose not to step up to the plate, and therefore comes across as disinterested in the University's athletics.

I have made the choice to abstain not because I am clinging to Fighting Sioux, but because I would just be voting for something I don't really care about at this point.  The process has been a joke and I am extremely disappointed in each of the final 5 names but that doesn't change the fact that I will accept whatever is selected and support it. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly my line next week will be less than 1/3 of eligible voters chose Fighting Hawks. 1/6th (considered a majority) chose this for us. So by all means, go on and vote so that  I can at least start accepting that we are a childish enough fan base to elect Hawks by majority, as opposed to an indifferent fan base.

The problem is that I don't like either name enough to vote for it.  So I should decide which I dislike the least and vote for it?  If I clearly didn't want one of the names and found it worse than the other I would vote.  If I liked one better than the other I would vote.  I don't find myself in either situation right now.  I really wanted something unique and that was pushed aside a long time ago. 

YES. You should decide which you dislike the least and vote for it -- the same as you do every time there is a presidential election.

Roughriders (I am told) is used by zero other universities. Yes, Red River uses it. If they were a national power in something year in and year out (at the HS level), where we would have an identity crisis, i would have second thoughts, but they're not, and i don't.

• Upvote 1

Honestly my line next week will be less than 1/3 of eligible voters chose Fighting Hawks. 1/6th (considered a majority) chose this for us. So by all means, go on and vote so that  I can at least start accepting that we are a childish enough fan base to elect Hawks by majority, as opposed to an indifferent fan base.

So, the other universities that have "bird" nicknames are childish and/or have immature fan bases? 

UND is no more privileged than:

Air Force Falcons

Ball State Cardinals

Boston College Eagles

Bowling Green Falcons

Eastern Michigan Eagles

Florida Atlantic Owls

Georgia Southern Eagles

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks

Louisville Cardinals

Miami (OH) Redhawks

Oregon Ducks

Rick Owls

South Carolina Gamecocks

Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Temple Owls

Yes, there are a lot of "bird-related" nicknames, but most of the schools have identifiable logos and, most importantly, do just fine with their athletics. UND can do just fine with marketing and promotions as the Fighting Hawks. Furthermore, UND can be successful on the field, ice, and court as the Fighting Hawks. 

• Upvote 4

I have made the choice to abstain not because I am clinging to Fighting Sioux, but because I would just be voting for something I don't really care about at this point.  The process has been a joke and I am extremely disappointed in each of the final 5 names but that doesn't change the fact that I will accept whatever is selected and support it. 

Well said! 

YES. You should decide which you dislike the least and vote for it -- the same as you do every time there is a presidential election.

Roughriders (I am told) is used by zero other universities. Yes, Red River uses it. If they were a national power in something year in and year out (at the HS level), where we would have an identity crisis, i would have second thoughts, but they're not, and i don't.

Great, I'll vote for FH! 

• Upvote 2

right there with you. It's been a complete fiasco and I'm done with it. Whatever name it is that's what I'll go with it. Sick of the entire played out process. 

So I should flip a coin then?

• Upvote 1

I will vote for Roughriders. The Fighting Hawks name, although I could live with it,  is something chosen by a consultant and the president.  I want something unique.  Hawks is not unique.

Either way, I support the university and its athletic teams. 

• Upvote 3

So, the other universities that have "bird" nicknames are childish and/or have immature fan bases? 

UND is no more privileged than:

Air Force Falcons

Ball State Cardinals

Boston College Eagles

Bowling Green Falcons

Eastern Michigan Eagles

Florida Atlantic Owls

Georgia Southern Eagles

Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks

Louisville Cardinals

Miami (OH) Redhawks

Oregon Ducks

Rick Owls

South Carolina Gamecocks

Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Temple Owls

Yes, there are a lot of "bird-related" nicknames, but most of the schools have identifiable logos and, most importantly, do just fine with their athletics. UND can do just fine with marketing and promotions as the Fighting Hawks. Furthermore, UND can be successful on the field, ice, and court as the Fighting Hawks. 

This guy gets it.

As has been demonstrated, the University can have success without a nickname at all - clearly it will keep having success no matter the nickname. My childish comment was directed at the fact that there simply is nothing unique about it. 

Just be be ready to accept that when one hears talk of the 'Hawks' in an airport, it most likely will not be in reference to North Dakota. Sioux did that, and Roughriders would do that.

Hawks is so overdone in hockey and football circles that RPI is known as "the engineers" in those sports, and red Hawks in other sports.

• Upvote 2

Here's my question, if Fighting Hawks is so bad, why did it win the last two nickname votes? Just throwing it out there. Obviously, someone likes this nickname or it wouldn't be winning. Also, the poll on Sioux Sports, might not be representative of the UND fans base. 

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 3