SiouxSports.com Forum

To the No-Voters

ClassB

I am not in favor of mandatory voting at all, but people who choose not to vote shouldn't be complaining about results they do not like. That will happen here, I can almost guarantee it.

I only think it's okay if people complain about the results only if they aren't eligible to vote.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe the students have been so suckered in by Dr. Kelley and his inoffensive bird mascot. 

Believe what you want (that logo that'll never happen, that 'hawks' stands as an abbreviation for something else) but when it is Hawks, dear students, Dr. Kelley won. And you, the students, handed it to him. 

Would love to see the reaction if Kelley removed the fighting part and left it just Hawks...

I have wondered if the vote would have differed if the choices had been Hawks and Fighting Nodaks.

I hate this whole nickname fiasco but have been wondering the exact same thing (and I'm one of the non-voters because I hate how the entire process played out). How many "Fighting Hawks" voters would have voted for just "Hawks"? Let's not kid ourselves, "Fighting" is winning the nickname vote not "Hawks".

While  currently I still would have Roughriders on top, had it not made it I would have voted for Fighting Hawks over Nodaks had those been the final two.  However, if you change it to Fighting Nodaks versus Fighting Hawks I think I would have went the Fighting Nodaks route.

• Upvote 1

Would love to see the reaction if Kelley removed the fighting part and left it just Hawks...

My conspiracy theory is that Fighting will eventually be removed.  Whenever UND PA announcers say Fighting Hawks, I'm guessing the majority of fans will yell Sioux.  Thus leading to complaints to the school and NCAA if need be, ultimately resulting in UND dropping the "Fighting" part.  Either that or the group that wants to end bullying will make schools drop hostile adjectives from sports teams...

My conspiracy theory is that Fighting will eventually be removed.  Whenever UND PA announcers say Fighting Hawks, I'm guessing the majority of fans will yell Sioux.  Thus leading to complaints to the school and NCAA if need be, ultimately resulting in UND dropping the "Fighting" part.  Either that or the group that wants to end bullying will make schools drop hostile adjectives from sports teams...

Notre dame will get full support from a majority of Irish people.  UND will gain approval from only one species of hawk, but will not gain approval from all species of hawks as laid out in the settlement with the NCAA.  The "Fighting" will be dropped and a committee will be formed to come up with an adjective that is unique that fans can take a sense of pride in.  Of course there will be those that want to just be known as just "The" but will be told by many that "The" is not an advective.  Names of adjectives will be submitted and will eventually be narrowed down to 2 names that are less then appealing.  A final vote will then be made to be the Peaceful Hawks or the Smooth Driving Hawks.  Unfortunately the Peaceful Hawks logo going around is probably not available!!

Notre dame will get full support from a majority of Irish people.  UND will gain approval from only one species of hawk, but will not gain approval from all species of hawks as laid out in the settlement with the NCAA.  The "Fighting" will be dropped and a committee will be formed to come up with an adjective that is unique that fans can take a sense of pride in.  Of course there will be those that want to just be known as just "The" but will be told by many that "The" is not an advective.  Names of adjectives will be submitted and will eventually be narrowed down to 2 names that are less then appealing.  A final vote will then be made to be the Peaceful Hawks or the Smooth Driving Hawks.  Unfortunately the Peaceful Hawks logo going around is probably not available!!

No fair reading ahead. 

You also forgot that North Dakota is known as the Peace Garden State so people should be encouraged to vote for "Peaceful" Hawks as a nod to the official/unofficial state name...

I hate this whole nickname fiasco but have been wondering the exact same thing (and I'm one of the non-voters because I hate how the entire process played out). How many "Fighting Hawks" voters would have voted for just "Hawks"? Let's not kid ourselves, "Fighting" is winning the nickname vote not "Hawks".

Well I like Hawks alone better than Fighting Hawks but would actually prefer Prairie, Bullet, Green, White, or Kelly to either.

I've had this conversation with people before. It's a distinct advantage. Throw fighting in front of any word and it conjures up the thought of paying homage to our beloved fighting sioux. Too bad fighting rough riders is just too damn long....