SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 2....

SWSiouxMN

Let's cut thru the pollyanna BS......NO.....and I mean no Hawks logo they can come up with will be "cool" or "unique".

Put down the pitcher of Kool-Aid.

Well, apparently a rumored hawks logo has promoted the "fighting hawks" nickname enough to where it has majority support; thus, it seems that "cool" hawk logos are possible. 

• Upvote 1

I'm still in a state of disbelief that so many people think Hawks is a good nickname for UND. Roughriders may not be ideal, but at least its unique to NCAA athletics. It has some meaning to ND, even if it's tenuous. Hawks is horrible, meaningless AND unoriginal.  

And enough with the 'maybe it won't be a bird 'garbage. Of course it will be a bird.

• Upvote 4

Nevertheless, the lesson here is that the new logo carries just as much weight - if not more - as the actual nickname itself. With that in mind, either Roughriders or Fighting Hawks can be "unique" if the subsequent logo is well-made and appealing. 

Anyone who thinks that the NCAA isn't going to consider said hawk logo to be Native American imagery, is a fool.  Including those who voted for Fighting Hawks based on that logo.

Well, apparently a rumored hawks logo has promoted the "fighting hawks" nickname enough to where it has majority support; thus, it seems that "cool" hawk logos are possible. 

Lemmings..............

Anyone who thinks that the NCAA isn't going to consider said hawk logo to be Native American imagery, is a fool.  Including those who voted for Fighting Hawks based on that logo.

Perhaps some believe the synthesized logo will be worthwhile, even if it is unknown at this point. The NCAA is not going to reject or even comment on a well thought-out "hawks" logo, so long as it refrains from Native American imagery. 

Perhaps some believe the synthesized logo will be worthwhile, even if it is unknown at this point. The NCAA is not going to reject or even comment on a well thought-out "hawks" logo, so long as it refrains from Native American imagery. 

I don't disagree with that.  BUT, the logo in question, the one that Chicago is being urged to change to, could very easily be deemed Native American imagery.  That's the logo people have been exposed to, thus influencing their votes.

there may be some Fighting Hawk voters that think the exact Blackhawk logo could be used....  but I also wonder how many people voted for Roughriders based on logos that cannot be used.  Or how many chose Roughriders because they think TR's Roughriders were somehow affiliated with North Dakota.  Regardless, the votes don't lie.  

I'm confident a unique logo can be designed, and it will help people rally behind the UND Fighting Hawks.

• Upvote 1

How many of you hockey folks thought "Wild" was the dumbest nickname choice ever...and now have 17 different Minnesota jerseys hanging in your closet because that logo is just so damn cool?  

Show of hands, please, by +1's or -1's.

jimdahl, your -1 is hardly fair given your allegiance to the Capitals.  

I'm curious, though, as to your thoughts on the abominations the Caps wore during the late 1990's/early 2000's - the black, blue, and copper jerseys.

Fighting Hawks huh.....well you will be right there with Southeast Mo, Miami Oh,Louisiana Monroe's of the world.  Glad it's not my team....boring.

Don't forget that none of this was of the fans' making.  And lightning seldom strikes twice.  A proud nickname and tradition are almost impossible to duplicate.

Besides, just how exciting is your team's name that you feel so empowered to criticize?

Fighting Hawks huh.....well you will be right there with Southeast Mo, Miami Oh,Louisiana Monroe's of the world.  Glad it's not my team....boring.

As opposed to the Fresno State Bulldogs, the Gonzaga Bulldogs, the Mississippi State Bulldogs, the Butler Bulldogs, the Georgia Bulldogs...

Or the Missouri Tigers, the Memphis Tigers, the Auburn Tigers, the LSU Tigers...

• Upvote 1

I am with you on your last sentence, but I find your first sentence disturbing and abhorrent. You would be targeting the establishment figures that screwed this whole thing up, but would be

hurting the students and student-athletes instead. It's like Kirk said to Khan in Star Trek II.

If that's the threshold for your support of the University, good riddance. 

I'm not referring to a $100 drop in the bucket like they ask for when calling every few months.  The school already looked a gift-horse in the mouth from my family.  My grandpa didn't even go to UND but donated a fully endowed full ride scholarship since he hired so many UND grads; when it wasn't disbursed a few years ago, my brother tried to claim it for his tuition that year but the school refused.  I got jerked around on a tuition waiver one semester as well.  The process leading to this stupid nickname was just the last straw for me.

How many of you hockey folks thought "Wild" was the dumbest nickname choice ever...and now have 17 different Minnesota jerseys hanging in your closet because that logo is just so damn cool?  

Show of hands, please, by +1's or -1's.

Why sport a Wild jersey when you can rock a North Stars throwback or better yet a Sioux jersey at the X?

Edited by AlphaMikeFoxtrot