SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoffs or bust

Nodak78

Yes and I'm simply saying bad losses hurt.  Yes big wins help too, i never said they didn't.  I was basing 7-4 teams with similar SOS and wins against similar caliber teams but one team loses to trash and the others worst loss is to an above 500 team. 

Committee will look at FBS win and PSU win long before ISU loss.

Yes and I'm simply saying bad losses hurt.  Yes big wins help too, i never said they didn't.  I was basing 7-4 teams with similar SOS and wins against similar caliber teams but one team loses to trash and the others worst loss is to an above 500 team. 

Wish all you want but a win is still better than a loss. 

I see Reyes as an equally important. QB of the secondary. When he came back the defense played better. His first game back against Montana was getting his legs back.

Both are very important and needed, as are plenty others. Reyes in my opinion is a more gifted athlete when you consider his size, speed and instincts for his position.  Could be on some all American lists by his sen yr,  special talent!  The safety position is the last of line in the d, and it was very obvious when he was out, great to him have back.

But I feel Keaton is more important as I feel the qb is the one position that you need the absolute right person, doesn't matter if he's sll American or not.  There is just something about him that the team thrives off, whether it's his leadership skills , huddle presence or a combination of things but he just simply gets it done!  He's 6-1 this season and 2-2 last yr as a true fresh.  8-3 is not bad as a true soph!   Und the last 2 yrs without him are 3-8.  He has above ave speed and athletic ability but is below ave in size 6'0" 190 for his position.  Not sold on his arm strength, accuracy or decision making (yet) but the coaches will keep working with him to improve that and in time the accuracy and decision making should get better.  Although he looked pretty good last week.   He never panics and when it counts he simply makes the right call or play or both!  Again, I can't stress enough on how the team particularly the offense just feeds of him.  

With the play of defense last week, I think they missed Drew Greeley more most have figured.  A lot of that could have been to due to the bye week and some other factors but from view he was missed.  Again, glad to have him back!  

Both are very important and needed, as are plenty others. Reyes in my opinion is a more gifted athlete when you consider his size, speed and instincts for his position.  Could be on some all American lists by his sen yr,  special talent!  The safety position is the last of line in the d, and it was very obvious when he was out, great to him have back.

But I feel Keaton is more important as I feel the qb is the one position that you need the absolute right person, doesn't matter if he's sll American or not.  There is just something about him that the team thrives off, whether it's his leadership skills , huddle presence or a combination of things but he just simply gets it done!  He's 6-1 this season and 2-2 last yr as a true fresh.  8-3 is not bad as a true soph!   Und the last 2 yrs without him are 3-8.  He has above ave speed and athletic ability but is below ave in size 6'0" 190 for his position.  Not sold on his arm strength, accuracy or decision making (yet) but the coaches will keep working with him to improve that and in time the accuracy and decision making should get better.  Although he looked pretty good last week.   He never panics and when it counts he simply makes the right call or play or both!  Again, I can't stress enough on how the team particularly the offense just feeds of him.  

With the play of defense last week, I think they missed Drew Greeley more most have figured.  A lot of that could have been to due to the bye week and some other factors but from view he was missed.  Again, glad to have him back!  

If Studsrud improves his passing to match his running, he'll be close to unstoppable. The last time we had a QB like that was back in 2001 (Kelby Klosterman) and we all know how that season ended. :)

• Upvote 2

If Studsrud improves his passing to match his running, he'll be close to unstoppable. The last time we had a QB like that was back in 2001 (Kelby Klosterman) and we all know how that season ended. :)

If Studsrud didn't get hurt just think where this team would be sitting. It would be too bad if we beat Poly and miss the playoffs. This reminds me of the early 1990's where UND was close to breaking out only to miss the playoffs (I want to say 1991) if we are that far along in our rebuilding, that is very impressive since it took Roger 7 years to get to the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

They should have started out with 8, not 4. But even that's better than the Bull Crap Series.

Yep. Should have been 8 teams to start with and they only have to look at last year to realize it as the team that won the national title was only in the final 4 due to the money and markets the big 10 brings.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong...I said in a previous post that Bartels played well when thrown in against ISU and good enough for us to beat Weber State, but Studs has "it" and we needed him back. On defense, Reyes makes the calls for the rest of the secondary and is a baller. They both have the "it" factor.  Offense sells tickets, while defense wins championships.  I am biased admittedly toward the defense.  But Keaton is the right guy for the job. There is no disputing that.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong...I said in a previous post that Bartels played well when thrown in against ISU and good enough for us to beat Weber State, but Studs has "it" and we needed him back. On defense, Reyes makes the calls for the rest of the secondary and is a baller. They both have the "it" factor.  Offense sells tickets, while defense wins championships.  I am biased admittedly toward the defense.  But Keaton is the right guy for the job. There is no disputing that.

In no way was Batels good enough to win either game. He was terrible in every game he's played. He was a total liability.

In no way was Batels good enough to win either game. He was terrible in every game he's played. He was a total liability.

Geaux Sioux, let me explain my rationale.  I was at both games: ISU and Weber State. In both games the offense handed the defense a lead well into the 4th quarter and the defense couldnt make it stand up. To be specific, Bartels had a couple of TD passes at Weber St , if I rember correctly and the we had a 5 point lead with the ball 1st and 10, at our 40 yard line with 5:42 on the clock late in the game. Coming off of a 1st down conversion we should have run the ball on first down to get the clock moving (they only had two timeouts) but we attempted a pass with a full blitz on which lead to a sack strip fumble.  He didnt play great in relief but he played good enough. In both games, the defense didnt rise up when needed. At the ISU game he made a few plays with his feet to extend drives and pick up 1st downs in the 4th. We couldnt stop their passing game. That's not any QBs fault. But as I agreed earlier, Keaton is the best option we have at QB. Thats not to slam Bartels in anyway. Keaton is better than I ever was and so is Bartels.

Geaux Sioux, let me explain my rationale.  I was at both games: ISU and Weber State. In both games the offense handed the defense a lead well into the 4th quarter and the defense couldnt make it stand up. To be specific, Bartels had a couple of TD passes at Weber St , if I rember correctly and the we had a 5 point lead with the ball 1st and 10, at our 40 yard line with 5:42 on the clock late in the game. Coming off of a 1st down conversion we should have run the ball on first down to get the clock moving (they only had two timeouts) but we attempted a pass with a full blitz on which lead to a sack strip fumble.  He didnt play great in relief but he played good enough. In both games, the defense didnt rise up when needed. At the ISU game he made a few plays with his feet to extend drives and pick up 1st downs in the 4th. We couldnt stop their passing game. That's not any QBs fault. But as I agreed earlier, Keaton is the best option we have at QB. Thats not to slam Bartels in anyway. Keaton is better than I ever was and so is Bartels.

Against Weber it was not the defense that handed them the ball deep in our  territory, it was Bartels with one of the worst INTs I've ever seen and a fumble that should not have happened. What you failed to see was that with Bartels the offense did nothing in the fourth quarter. They sustain one drive in each of those fourth quarters and we win both. Unfortunately because of how bad Bartels was the defense stacked the box and dared us to throw, we couldn't, we lost. The defense was bad but Bartels was worse.

Against Weber it was not the defense that handed them the ball deep in our  territory, it was Bartels with one of the worst INTs I've ever seen and a fumble that should not have happened. What you failed to see was that with Bartels the offense did nothing in the fourth quarter. They sustain one drive in each of those fourth quarters and we win both. Unfortunately because of how bad Bartels was the defense stacked the box and dared us to throw, we couldn't, we lost. The defense was bad but Bartels was worse.

If you look at the first few games of the season....the offense didn't do much in the 4th Qtr against WYO, Drake, NDSU (at all), UC Davis and that was with Keaton playing the whole game. In all of those games we squandered big leads or lost. I will say being their watching the Weber State game unfold, WSU gained momentum with huge pass plays that energized their fan base and defense.  The #3 was a beast in the second half; he had two long receptions that flipped the field on us that lead to scores. Our running game had stalled because in my opinion Santiago was a little tired in late third and 4th qtr. If you add it all up, to include some curious play calling, Bartels' play was a sympton of larger problems. He was 9 fo 20 with 1 int int that game with two TDs, which had us in contention.  The sack strip fumble was the back breaker before the INT. WSU had all the momentum so all we could do was milk the clock with 5:42 left, like a trainer protecting his fighter in the later rounds of a prize fight. If someone told you/me Bartels would throw two TDs against Cal Poly this week, I think all of us would take that in a heartbeat!  I know I would. I just can't that loss all on him, sorry.

As much as UND relies on its defense, there still are some shortcomings on that side of the ball. Now, against Idaho State and Weber State, missing Cole Reyes was a huge miss for the UND secondary. Furthermore, UND needs more depth and playmakers in the backend; fortunately, the 2016 recruiting class already has some nice safety commits. 

As for the offense, the QB and WR position is a work in progress. I was very happy to see Keaton bring some consistency to the passing game the last two outings, with plays being made to Seibel, Georges, and Stanely. Studsrud is sharper with the intermediate to short passing game, and that's huge for the type of pro-style running offense that UND wants to employ. Studsrud going 13-16 (81%) was impressive. 

Now UND has to prove their offense can travel. If Studsrud puts up another efficient game (over 60% completion percentage and no interceptions) at Cal Poly, then I think UND will win. In all honesty, that kind of efficiency from the QB position will make UND hard to beat by anyone in the FCS. 

Yep. Should have been 8 teams to start with and they only have to look at last year to realize it as the team that won the national title was only in the final 4 due to the money and markets the big 10 brings.

Ohio state got in because they dominated at the end of the year. And they proved they were the best team.