SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Attendance

darell1976

Student here:

This may sound dumb to you fellas but one reason there is a lack of support for the UND Football team is because many students do not like the players. They walk around campus as if they're better than everyone else. At the dining centers, they don't clean up after themselves. Is it that hard to go put your plate away? They're all over social media posting pictures of themselves shirtless and flexing. Many of us don't want to support people like that. Have you guys ever stopped to think that many UND students don't even really like football? Neither myself or my friends are football fans. Why spend 5 hours out of our day to attend an event we don't even care about?

I, along with probably everyone else on this board, have witnessed and heard stories about athletes from every sport (and regular students too!!) and in my experience, the football players were nowhere near to the top of the list. Not to mention that I'd guess that a majority of students that come to UND are a lot more familiar with football than they are hockey.

Student here:

This may sound dumb to you fellas but one reason there is a lack of support for the UND Football team is because many students do not like the players. They walk around campus as if they're better than everyone else. At the dining centers, they don't clean up after themselves. Is it that hard to go put your plate away? They're all over social media posting pictures of themselves shirtless and flexing. Many of us don't want to support people like that. Have you guys ever stopped to think that many UND students don't even really like football? Neither myself or my friends are football fans. Why spend 5 hours out of our day to attend an event we don't even care about?

How many non athletes do you think are taking shirtless pics of themselves after they hit the gym? And on the douche scale hockey players have always and will always be numero uno. Also, you are clearly not the target market. And finally don't mistake yourself as the majority it's a narcissistic fallacy. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Student here:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2012/9/25/3409852/details-emerge-in-north-dakota-drinking-scandal

Why should I waste my time with the hockey team over this?

2 volleyball players were jerks to my girlfriend... why should I support volleyball?

Basketball players stole my parking spot... done with them!

Edited by SWSiouxMN
  • Upvote 4

Student here:

hey, feel free to get the hell of the boards then. They're not kings, you're right, but neither are the hockey players. Do you take issue with them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Class, B, you are a student correct? What is your perception of the players around campus? 

correct. I'm biased as I spend a lot of time with them in the Hyslop, so I find them enjoyable. I also grew up around UND and as a fan of the football team, so I probably tend to like them more than the average student as well.

• Upvote 1

Student here:

I never saw any of this when I was a student. This sounds like a bunch of high school-level gossip.

Sounds like someone is jealous of their gains. 

Actually, I saw some of the same back when I was there. It wasn't all of the plays, but there was definitely a group of them that always though they were Gods gift. Kind of funny that a few D2 football players though they were such big shots, when the NHL draft picks on campus were always so friendly. I never got that kind of vibe from the hockey team. 

Again, I'm not going to say it is the football players in general, but there were definitely some real jerks in the bunch. I even had a buddy who had the same name (different spelling) as one of the lineman on the team. Cops start calling him about a domestic assault complaint against him from a party (at one of the football houses), didn't take long to figure out the different between a big white lineman and a little asian guy (Nice work GFPD :) ) Point is they aren't all good guys, nevertheless plenty of them are good, and deserve the support.

Personality aside, its football, and I think with Bubba at the helm you'll start getting good people mixed in with talent. Definitely a fan of what he has been doing.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I saw some of the same back when I was there. It wasn't all of the plays, but there was definitely a group of them that always though they were Gods gift. Kind of funny that a few D2 football players though they were such big shots, when the NHL draft picks on campus were always so friendly. I never got that kind of vibe from the hockey team. 

Again, I'm not going to say it is the football players in general, but there were definitely some real jerks in the bunch. I even had a buddy who had the same name (different spelling) as one of the lineman on the team. Cops start calling him about a domestic assault complaint against him from a party (at one of the football houses), didn't take long to figure out the different between a big white lineman and a little asian guy (Nice work GFPD :) ) Point is they aren't all good guys, nevertheless plenty of them are good, and deserve the support.

Personality aside, its football, and I think with Bubba at the helm you'll start getting good people mixed in with talent. Definitely a fan of what he has been doing.

Its always a select few that give the others a bad name. You can apply this to any sport, anywhere.

Edited by SWSiouxMN

Its always a select few that give the others a bad name. You can apply this to any sport, anywhere.

Yep, not going to argue that. You usually won't get teams who are filled with jerks, or filled with pleasant people. Might see it more with football, only because their or more people on the team than other sports.

Student here:

Ladies and Gentlemen, your average Hawks voter.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I was talking to a student yesterday about the lack of students at the football games. He wasn't sure what the problem is. He is a big football fan, and he didn't go to the game on Saturday. He did go to the hockey game, he's also a hockey fan. He said that some of the students lost interest after the couple of bad games in the middle of the season, but didn't know if that was a good reason. He also mentioned that a lot of students didn't like the football players. He didn't have any good ideas about how to fix the problem.

Way back when I was in school there were players on several teams that students didn't like, so it probably isn't a new issue. I remember hearing about issues with football players and hockey players. Wrestlers (I'm so old I was in school when UND still had wrestling) got into fights with hockey players in the bar and at parties. Basketball players pretty much stuck to their own group. There were plenty of good guys on the teams, but normally some that don't get along with everyone. The difference today is that with social media it is easier to hear about issues, unlike the old days where you had to find out about the problems through gossip.

Yep, not going to argue that. You usually won't get teams who are filled with jerks, or filled with pleasant people. Might see it more with football, only because their or more people on the team than other sports.

100 guys on a team, in a sport where running full blast into a guy running full blast.......you'll have some guys that are a little intense (or jerks, or big personalities, however you want to judge it).  Let's not make too much of it and label an entire team or sport.  And to the student that doesn't like football, I guess our target audience is the 90% of men that do like football.

Student here:

So you and your friends have met all 95-100 players??  Crazy!   They're all the same huh!?  Your right not everyone likes football just like everyone doesn't like hockey.

Wow, the guy came on here and gave his honest opinion. Obviously every students situation is different but why are you bashing him? There is no excuse for anyone to not clean up after themselves in the dining center. And if you happen to be doing it with your buddies and you are all wearing football gear, people that see you are going to associate it with the football team. You don't need to meet an entire team to make an assumption about them. Perhaps however it is a telling sign that you do not see other ahletes in the stands. When I went to UND the women's basketball team was front row... Where are they now?

Wow, the guy came on here and gave his honest opinion. Obviously every students situation is different but why are you bashing him? There is no excuse for anyone to not clean up after themselves in the dining center. And if you happen to be doing it with your buddies and you are all wearing football gear, people that see you are going to associate it with the football team. You don't need to meet an entire team to make an assumption about them. Perhaps however it is a telling sign that you do not see other ahletes in the stands. When I went to UND the women's basketball team was front row... Where are they now?

They still do, didn't last week because they were in Iowa. 

Student here:

Ok, that's valid.  We lived in the dorms with other students and FB and Hockey players hung out with other students.  If they are acting like jerks then Bubba needs to be made aware and have  a quick come to Bubba meeting. I don't think he will tolerate that. We never posted pictures cuz there were no pictures to post and no way to post them.  I was never ripped enough to even think of that ,but my wife thought I was cute and had a nice butt. Unfortunately she doesn't remember thinking that.

Athletes and students hung out together and socialized together.  We also supported each other at our respective sports. How the hell are they going to get through school if you smart normal guys don' t help them???