SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: Drake

geaux_sioux

Watching a program get rebuilt from the ground up is like watching sausage being made. It isn't always pretty to watch and it makes you cringe sometimes, but we need to focus on the big picture. Bubba is still cleaning up the mess he inherited and that will probably take all of this season and spring and fall practices in 2016. The defense has emerged as a force once again and will probably keep us in most of our games this season. The offense will take time as there are a lot of young players learning how to win on that side of the ball.

Next Saturday might not be pretty and might make us cringe, but it will serve as a good measuring stick as to where we are and what we need to work on. I for one am looking forward to seeing the progress this team makes under Bubba's leadership.

Remember, #daybyday.

• Upvote 1

Just a few thoughts on Saturday's game, some bright, some gloomy:

• Meindel averaged 47 yards a punt - with good hang time!
  • Studsrud looked mostly sharp in the passing game. They had some hiccups, and he took some sacks he didn't need to - but I'll take 32-53 with 3 TDs and no INTs through two games.
  • Drake was 4-17 on 3rd downs, and 0-13 to start. They had a LOT of 3rd & longs because the D was stout on 1st & 2nd
  • Reyes' hit on the QB was scary. He's got to know by now that leaving your feet on a high hit will get you a flag (or worse) every time. No excuse for it.
  • Alerus experience was like an anemic after giving blood - hard to stay awake. No effort to make the game interesting at all.
  • An evening game meant that the students knew the parties were starting without them. Those that left at halftime saw a Drake team that didn't do anything in the first half and their team safely up 21-0. Those that left in the 2nd half saw THEIR team doing nothing and a Drake team that showed no life until very late in the game. I don't blame the students. The idea of leaving early even passed through my head for an instant.
  • Santiago's fumbles were bad and have to stop. Unfortunately, he's the only ball carrier that showed any spark. Arrington must still be hurting. Oliviera will do damage in the right situations, but doesn't have the acceleration or shiftiness.
  • From what I heard, Bubba raised the roof in the locker room after the game. Let's hope he got their attention.
  • This was a bad win, but they got out basically injury-free, didn't show anything much on film to tip their hand to NDSU, and if you can't get focused and fired up for a game like this, you're in the wrong business. I expect a different team to show up in Fargo.

Go UND!

Didn't see it mentioned: Studsrud was named Big Sky's offensive player of the week with 260 yards passing and 3 TD's.

213 of those yards and all 3 TD's came in the first half.  Zero attempted rushes the whole game. 

Don't necessarily agree with it, especially with how it almost turned out, but you think that the playbook might have been left in the locker room at halftime? Doesn't excuse the fumbles or mean UND shouldn't have still been able to move the ball, but seems pretty telling.

Didn't see it mentioned: Studsrud was named Big Sky's offensive player of the week with 260 yards passing and 3 TD's.

213 of those yards and all 3 TD's came in the first half.  Zero attempted rushes the whole game. 

Don't necessarily agree with it, especially with how it almost turned out, but you think that the playbook might have been left in the locker room at halftime? Doesn't excuse the fumbles or mean UND shouldn't have still been able to move the ball, but seems pretty telling.

Big Sky teams won 3 games so probably was not a whole lot to choose from.

Spoke to a Drake fan after the game and he said Drake will beat South Dakota.  Said North Dakota was too strong to beat.  Fundamentally but not athletically, Drake might be the best team we face.  

:huh:

We played bad.  Drake may not be a horrible team, but they aren't great either.

Spoke to a Drake fan after the game and he said Drake will beat South Dakota.  Said North Dakota was too strong to beat.  Fundamentally but not athletically, Drake might be the best team we face.  

OK, so rated high fundamentally.

Overall, if Drake wins the Pioneer League and hangs within 10 in their play-off game I will call them a good team.  Until then, I have to go with pretty average.

Well they did beat William and Jewell to start the year:wink:

Stop trying to justify a close game with Drake. The halftime score is a better indication of where the two schools are. Teams lose focus in the 2nd half of games against lesser opponents, coaches relax and take the foot off the gas, it happens. Drake is NOT the best team, athletically or fundamentally you will play all year. If they are I would recommend looking for a new conference because the Big Sky sucks. Your post is an embarrassment to all four FCS schools in the area, your school and your conference.

• Upvote 3

That's hard to believe. We'll see how Drake does against South Dakota; if Drake wins, it will make UND look a little better, but by that time the UND vs. NDSU game will be giving us more valuable information anyway.

I sure hope it was more of a case of Drake doing good things rather than UND doing bad things. Unfortunately, I think it was more of the latter. 

You meant to put some sarcasm font on this right?  You have to be joking if you think Drake will be the best team we'll face the rest of the year.

Can you read?  Drake didn't have any turnovers, didn't make mistakes, and played well in all fascets of the game, even though they did not have much athletic or scholarship talent.  They could well be a playoff team from the Pioneer League.

if UND didn't show much in the second half because they the staff didn't want to show NDSU more on films, that was a coaching decision.  Rip on the coaches.

Can you read?  Drake didn't have any turnovers, didn't make mistakes, and played well in all fascets of the game, even though they did not have much athletic or scholarship talent.  They could well be a playoff team from the Pioneer League.

if UND didn't show much in the second half because they the staff didn't want to show NDSU more on films, that was a coaching decision.  Rip on the coaches.

South Dakota 52- Drake 0 1:37 left in the 4th. I guess they left their "fundamentals" at home. Oh, USD will likely finish bottom 3 in the MVFC.  

South Dakota 52- Drake 0 1:37 left in the 4th. I guess they left their "fundamentals" at home. Oh, USD will likely finish bottom 3 in the MVFC.  

The Drake fan said they had a good chance to beat USD.  Drake is good fundamental team for a non scholarship team, but now missing half it's OL and it's QB from the UND game.

UND's offense on the hand doesn't have anything at the moment.

Don't you think you're better than lowering yourself to being a troll on another team's fan site - you're stepping in bison-swill.

• Downvote 1

Defense shored very well after the first drive. Stayed pretty basic unless they needed a sack and then proceeded to blitz and get one.  Dropped INT's were a little disappointing.

Offense clearly didn't show anything more than they had to.  Drake sold out to stop the run, UND responded by throwing the ball pretty well until they were up 3 scores (should have been 4), Rudolph clearly put the playbook away in the second half. The fumbles are definitely a huge concern and the O-Line blocking wasn't anywhere what I thought it would be and those are issues that need to be fixed.  That being said, I also think it was incredibly obvious that UND showed absolutely nothing more than they had to yesterday.  They could have kept their foot on the gas but opted not to. Leaves questions for the fans but it also doesn't give the FargoU staff anything extra to work with.

Good thing we kept all those secret plays for the Bison game.

• Upvote 1

Good thing we kept all those secret plays for the Bison game.

Don't disagree. Bad field position didn't help, FargoU's kicker had backspin I've never seen on kickoffs,  but no clue what was being called. UND didn't have the receivers to do what Montana did but kept trying. Very disappointed with today's play calling.