SiouxSports.com Forum

collegesportsmadness.com poll

Nodak78

You mean when they beat the defending Big 12 champions who went on to an 8-5 year (8-4 if you take away the NDSU loss) and  beat Michigan in a bowl game 31-14? That cupcake? 

I remember that summer reading an article, I believe it was from a K-state press person about their season opener that year and how they could lose it.  They just lost their stud QB and a few other people, weren't sure who their QB was going to be that year etc..  And while it was NDSU's Super Bowl, for K-state it was a warm up game to try and figure things out.  They did end up being a pretty good team by the end of the year and it was a very nice win for you guys against an FBS team, so I will certainly give you that.  However I think if you guys were playing them at the end of the year in a Bowl game it would have been a different result. 

Also I clicked on an article a week or two ago, it was a list of the top 10 worst FBS programs/teams.  Two of the teams you beat were on it, Kansas and Iowa State.  You have several FBS wins though, congratulations on that.  But you can't brag about all of yours and then knock it when we get one.  Oh wait....you are Bison fans....yes you can.

• Upvote 3

You mean when they beat the defending Big 12 champions who went on to an 8-5 year (8-4 if you take away the NDSU loss) and  beat Michigan in a bowl game 31-14? That cupcake? 

K-State was a great win, I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the lower teams in the FBS like the Gophers (even the Coyotes beat them), Iowa State, Kansas, Ball State, Wyo....oh wait you didn't win that one.

I remember that summer reading an article, I believe it was from a K-state press person about their season opener that year and how they could lose it.  They just lost their stud QB and a few other people, weren't sure who their QB was going to be that year etc..  And while it was NDSU's Super Bowl, for K-state it was a warm up game to try and figure things out.  They did end up being a pretty good team by the end of the year and it was a very nice win for you guys against an FBS team, so I will certainly give you that.  However I think if you guys were playing them at the end of the year in a Bowl game it would have been a different result. 

Also I clicked on an article a week or two ago, it was a list of the top 10 worst FBS programs/teams.  Two of the teams you beat were on it, Kansas and Iowa State.  You have several FBS wins though, congratulations on that.  But you can't brag about all of yours and then knock it when we get one.  Oh wait....you are Bison fans....yes you can.

I think I saw where they were replacing 9 of 11 players on defense, which takes a while to gel.  That said, beating talented teams is impressive, no matter how young they are. 

I still maintain for the 50th time that their best FBS win was Central Michigan.  30 point shellacking of a very talented Chippewa team on their home turf.

Given all the variables, KSU was a close 2nd in my opinion.

Wyoming was 3rd. ;)

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 3

I believe kstate had lost about 25 seniors from their conference champion team from the year before, and started a JUCO quarterback for the bison game.

Very interesting quote for all those on here that like to question our recruiting:

"The FCS is pretty even this year," Klieman said. "I was surprised UND beat Wyoming but in the same respect the last two recruiting classes coach (Bubba) Schweigert had were pretty dog gone good. Anybody can beat anybody."

Very interesting quote for all those on here that like to question our recruiting:

"The FCS is pretty even this year," Klieman said. "I was surprised UND beat Wyoming but in the same respect the last two recruiting classes coach (Bubba) Schweigert had were pretty dog gone good. Anybody can beat anybody."

Total respect for Bubba coming from Klieman that you would never see on BV. He gets it, and i am sure his players will get it next Saturday. This isn't going to be no 80-0 type game, UND is the real deal and its going to be a dog fight. Klieman seems like a classy guy.

I do think we have to be careful that some of the trolls on here don't ruin our respect for klieman or that program.

My apologies if this exact post has been made already, but on another note:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

7. EWU

8. Montana

9. Montana State

20. Cal Poly

24. Idaho State

NR. NAU (36)

NR. Portland State (22)

NR. North Dakota (17)

Wow. If the coaches are right, and we have an above average year (beating half the teams above us), we still barely crack top 25. I think this is a good reminder to temper expectations for us fans. I think Bubba will do just fine with the team's mentality, though.

Total respect for Bubba coming from Klieman that you would never see on BV. He gets it, and i am sure his players will get it next Saturday. This isn't going to be no 80-0 type game, UND is the real deal and its going to be a dog fight. Klieman seems like a classy guy.

Not saying he isn't classy, but knowing how crazy Bison fan's are, I would try to temper expectations on the game in a couple of weeks too.  Some may think if they don't win by 30, Klieman should be run out of town.

Not saying he isn't classy, but knowing how crazy Bison fan's are, I would try to temper expectations on the game in a couple of weeks too.  Some may think if they don't win by 30, Klieman should be run out of town.

He was already doing that exact same thing before the season started. Informed a large group of boosters that the game wasn't going to be the cupcake that was being assumed. Thought the NDSU booster that was telling me about it was joking but they were adamant that Klieman was very clear about it. 

He was already doing that exact same thing before the season started. Informed a large group of boosters that the game wasn't going to be the cupcake that was being assumed. Thought the NDSU booster that was telling me about it was joking but they were adamant that Klieman was very clear about it. 

honestly, it probably will bbe a pretty good game.

I don't think NDSU will run UND off the scoreboard.  But I could easily see NDSU winning by 17-21 in a game that UND isn't a real threat in after halftime.

The one thing I've learned from watching rivalry games is that anything can happen.  Do I expect UND to get blown out, no.  But we are a young team who's still learning to win.  If NDSU gets things rolling early, and/or UND has some untimely mistakes/penalties, things could get ugly.  If UND plays to its potential, as they did against Wyoming, it could be close and perhaps UND could even pull out a win.  It's a rivalry and anything can happen...

The one thing I've learned from watching rivalry games is that anything can happen.  Do I expect UND to get blown out, no.  But we are a young team who's still learning to win.  If NDSU gets things rolling early, and/or UND has some untimely mistakes/penalties, things could get ugly.  If UND plays to its potential, as they did against Wyoming, it could be close and perhaps UND could even pull out a win.  It's a rivalry and anything can happen...

I don't think we played to our potential at all against WYO. We left a lot of points on the board and our passing offense left a lot to be desired. Our pass defense was also not good enough. Teams like EWU Montana Montana St and Idaho St who can actually pass will light us up if we don't fix that. The potential of this team is huge, last Saturday was the tip of the iceberg.

2-0 comes first. Lets not get ahead of ourselves even though it has no effect on the field.

My prediction for the Wyoming game was that regardless of the way it went, there would be some that would draw conclusions down the road that aren't realistic.  Hopefully we can get to 2-0 before we play NDSU, then that game could be huge for us, because if you somehow find a way to squeak one out against the 4-time National Champs, you would probably only need to go .500 the rest of the way to make the playoffs because of the credibility of beating Wyoming and NDSU.  But like you said, first things first!