SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

Wouldn't it have been better if the no-nickname option been on the list?  The stakeholders should have had a say in the matter.  If it would have lost through the voting process, it would have been an easier pill to swallow.  I would have been able to accept a nickname chosen by the stakeholders rather than have one shoved down my throat via a censored list.  What was everyone afraid of by putting the no nickname option on the list?  My guess they were afraid it would have won!  But we wouldn't want the most popular option.  Us silly minions don't know what's best for the University.  We need great leaders like Kelley to tell us uneducated hicks what's best for us!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Was this ever seriously persued ?  If not why in the hell not ?

http://www.inforum.com/letters/3827017-letter-another-option-und

Obviously UND didn't want to "bribe" the tribes in using the name and logo so they didn't go that route. It's too late to reopen any talks with the Standing Rock tribe because 2010 has come and gone. That chapter is closed in the history of the Fighting Sioux name and the only way it comes back is if the NCAA gets rid of that policy (and they won't). 

Geez you would think for an attorney that guy would have done a little better research - his proposals are so full of holes it's embarrassing that got printed in a newspaper. For one thing, those within the tribes and those liberals working "for the good of the Native Americans" have no interest in revenue sharing - they just want the Fighting Sioux name gone because it is the one school left they figured out the NCAA would bully into submission. 

I can't say but I've never heard that any money from UND Sioux clothing ever went to a special fund, certainly not within the last 10 years.  in fact that is a sticking point with those that Native American Cultural Center whenever the statement about them getting their education paid for is thrown out. If there was a time that money would have talked it would have been decades ago.

Spirit Lake was already on board without any money. 75% of Standing Rock lives in South Dakota and has bigger problems and doesn't want to vote no matter what. If UND was to wave money at them now imagine the outcry from those who are "looking out for the best interests of the Native Americans".  

This is a magnificent personification of the very reason we should have refused to have our name raped from us.

As this atrocity transpired over time good people like you and I were perpetually chastised by those who do not respect the value of the preservation of the principles perscribed in this essay.  As we decried the bigger picture loss of freedom we were told to "get over it", to " move on", that it "just a nickname", that we can't affort the costs of punishment and that the NCAA is a "private organization" hence our rights don't apply.

All along we could feel the irie unsettling presence of the loss of many things, the things of which this professor speaks, more than our name being stolen from the shirt on our back and the flag that we fly- part of our identity.  And the lesson we learned is that we should not complain and if we do we are nothing more than whinning children whom people are "tired" of hearing from and having to "deal" with.  Learned that lesson we have did.  Next time maybe we will comply with a little less salt?  Freedom is lost one step at a time I reckon.  And it seems logical that within each step there would lie justifications and assertions of "get over it" and "Its just" s among other sentiments we have endured..

Oh, am I whinning again? 

Edited by yababy8
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I wish the next UND president  has this knowledge 

Also the next President of the USA

With regard to Kelly, It's not about having the knowledge, he just doesn't see the world that way.  He is a communist.  He believes he and those who see things in the way he does have a moral imperative to disregard the will of the people(unless the people's will is in concert with his agenda then he would use it to advance his own) and make decisions for the betterment of the society he lords over.

It is very obvious what his plan has been since his arrival. He has done nothing other than that which has moved UND toward eradicating the Sioux name. This has been his clear mandate all along and it was never the mandate "of the people". (Oh except that 2012 vote right '82?)

Edited by yababy8
  • Upvote 2

With regard to Kelly, It's not about having the knowledge, he just doesn't see the world that way.  He is a communist.  He believes he and those who see things in the way he does have a moral imperative to disregard the will of the people(unless the people's will is in concert with his agenda then he would use it to advance his own) and make decisions for the betterment of the society he lords over.

It is very obvious what his plan has been since his arrival. He has done nothing other than that which has moved UND toward erradicationg the Sioux name. This has been his clear mandate all along and it was never the mandate "of the people". (Oh except that 2012 vote right '82?)

I agree that it seems obvious, but evidently it's not, since most people simply consume the manure shoveled at them.

The wheels were in motion before Kelley got here. He was hired to close out the job. Too bad it took him this long to do what he was hired to do. 

Yes they were definitely solidly in motion but give the guy credit it was no small task.  I mean let's be honest, it wasn't just your run of the mill nickname at some run of the mill college. It was one of the more deeply invested fan bases(speaking of hockey) in the country with one of the more loved nicknames you could find.  Again no small task.  A job well done.  For sure he didn't create the farce but he was an excellent leader of it.

Kelly can put that on his resume and it could put him in the running for president of a couple of dozen countries I could think of.  When is Castro retiring?

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember or can you find when someone posted a mean looking hawk coming down wings out, talons leading the way, razor sharp looking, with a vicious look on its face. With Fighting Hawks written above it? Someone posted it on here a year or two ago and it is cool looking, would love to see it again...

I looked forever and found nothing.

Does anyone remember or can you find when someone posted a mean looking hawk coming down wings out, talons leading the way, razor sharp looking, with a vicious look on its face. With Fighting Hawks written above it? Someone posted it on here a year or two ago and it is cool looking, would love to see it again...

I looked forever and found nothing.

There is that one that is associated with the Chicago Black Hawks.  That's just a head though.  I'd like to see the one you're describing.  

There is that one that is associated with the Chicago Black Hawks.  That's just a head though.  I'd like to see the one you're describing.  

Yea its not the one with the sioux feathers. It was a long time ago, someone on here either showed someone elses logos, or made them himself, not sure...

Fighting Hawks would be more palatable if it wouldn't have been so ridiculously predictable and common.

Some variation on Hawks is used by 28 other 4-year schools, making it the 8th most popular sports team nickname.

9 other schools have moved from a Native American Nickname to some variation of Hawk
Chowam Hawks - formerly Braves (2006)
Dickinson State Blue Hawks - formerly Savages (1972)
IUP Crimson Hawks - formerly Indians (2006)
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks - formerly Indians (2006)
Miami RedHawks - formerly Redskins (1997)
Ripon Red Hawks - formerly Redmen (1985)
Southeast Missouri State Redhawks - formerly Indians and Otahkians (2005)
Seattle Redhawks - formerly Chieftains (2000)
Stonehill Skyhawks - formerly Chieftains (2005)