SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I don't see anything wrong with just staying THE University of North Dakota.  We would be the University of the Whole State.  North Dakota is a great State.  We don't need a nickname.  As far as a logo, there are a lot of creative people in the state.  Have a contest to come up with a logo that includes all the great things in the state.  Here are a lot of missed opportunities.  No matter what name is chosen there are going to be a lot of pissed off people.  UND will be known as the Sioux for a long time no matter what is chosen.  I predict Rough Riders will now win the popular vote, we will be told there are trademark issues and we are going to be known at the Sundogs.  It has become obvious it was never up to public to choose. 

I predict Rough Riders will now win the popular vote, we will be told there are trademark issues and we are going to be known at the Sundogs.  It has become obvious it was never up to public to choose. 

If Kelley wants to get rid of Roughriders, he'll do it BEFORE the public vote and cite trademark issues as the reason.  

If Kelley wants to get rid of Roughriders, he'll do it BEFORE the public vote and cite trademark issues as the reason.  

So we'll be down to four shortly then..................

I have no doubt that Roughriders will win the public vote.  I also don't see Kelley dropping it before the vote. 

However, unless it wins handily, I could see Kelley picking the second or third choice due to "trademark concerns".

So we'll be down to four shortly then..................

Sundogs, Fighting Hawks, North Stars, and Nodaks.  

That $80-$100K nickname & marketing consultant sure did a bang-up job on this project.  

:silly:  

• Upvote 2

That $80-$100K nickname & marketing consultant sure did a bang-up job on this project.  

Is that all it cost? I thought it was more. I coulda gave them 5 better options and a new private jet for the teams for what I heard they spent :)

I'm sure North Stars would have even more trademark issues. So really Nodaks, Sundogs and Fighting Hawks.  Nodaks would have some of same issues as staying North Dakota, so just Sundogs and Fighting Hawks.

I think this is a very fair assessment.  I was always of the opinion that at the end of this process there was zero chance UND wasn't going to have a new nickname and was going to stay just "North Dakota"...and for the record I could have easily lived with being just "North Dakota" although it wasn't my top preference.

Agreed and I could definitely live with RR if chosen.  Actually all this PC related talk about RR is kind of annoying and makes me like RR even more. :)  However, of the remaining names it is still #2 on my list.

I'm sure North Stars would have even more trademark issues. So really Nodaks, Sundogs and Fighting Hawks.  Nodaks would have some of same issues as staying North Dakota, so just Sundogs and Fighting Hawks.

Karl states in the interview they are not even sure if they can use North Stars legally yet....

Karl states in the interview they are not even sure if they can use North Stars legally yet....

That may be the best example of how ridiculous this process has been. How does a name make the final five.....and they're not sure if we can use it.

• Upvote 1

Here is an idea that seems fair to everyone imo. Why doesn't UND have a vote on the five names left to see what is the most popular. Then from there they have a vote between whatever name wins and just North Dakota/no nickname.

So if say Fighting Hawks win or Roughriders win we will put just that one name against no nickname/North Dakota. Seems fair to me.

• Upvote 1

wtf?  That definitely matters.  They better figure this all out before a vote.  Otherwise we'll have Fighting Hawks as a name.  If stars goes the public vote for RR goes way up.

The "problems trademarking" concern makes me chuckle when I see things like this:

Lots of college and professional Pirates there that don't seem to have issues. (Seton Hall and East Carolina from the NCAA; Tampa Bay from the NFL; 'cutch and the MLB Pirate Parrot.)

"Plunder the lox!" 

Here is an idea that seems fair to everyone imo. Why doesn't UND have a vote on the five names left to see what is the most popular. Then from there they have a vote between whatever name wins and just North Dakota/no nickname.

So if say Fighting Hawks win or Roughriders win we will put just that one name against no nickname/North Dakota. Seems fair to me.

That goes against everything you have been saying for the past 1.5 months.  North Dakota will win.

Wht is trademarking such a big concern?  I am no expert, but seems that there are many colleges/universities using  Billdogs, Eagles, Cougars, and Wildcats that don't seem to have any issues.  Name can be the same, as long as the logo is different.  SOmone have and tradmark expertise that can explaion this to all of us?

Scpa- I was just throwing it out there, and thought that would be fair to everyone. Do I think we should be just ND, no, but the only true way to get a fair vote on this would be to vote one name against not having a name right? Trust me I am very much in the time to move on camp, I was just throwing it out for discussion as I thought it was maybe a fair compromise. Reason I think you have to just vote no name against one new name is because the more extra names in the vote the more the other names split the vote.

Scpa- I was just throwing it out there, and thought that would be fair to everyone. Do I think we should be just ND, no, but the only true way to get a fair vote on this would be to vote one name against not having a name right? Trust me I am very much in the time to move on camp, I was just throwing it out for discussion as I thought it was maybe a fair compromise. Reason I think you have to just vote no name against one new name is because the more extra names in the vote the more the other names split the vote.

You are correct though, it would be fair.  I just thought, out of all posters, you would be one of the last people to say that :)