SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

The University of North Dakota formed a Nickname Committee to facilitate the selection of a permanent nickname. This is the continuation of the work begun by the Nickname and Logo Process Recommendation Task Force that met during the fall of 2014.

Using that Task Force’s recommendations as a starting point, the new Nickname Committee was charged with reviewing a list of potential names, submitted via a public process soon to be announced, and developing and submitting a short list of those names for a final public vote.

That's from http://und.edu/university-public-affairs/nickname/

Please explain how a blank space (no nickname) is a "permanent nickname". 

Link to the petition mentioned earlier, currently over 1500 signatures, let them know how you feel.

https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-the-university-of-north-dakota-north-dakota-nickname

I have signed.

While I can appreciate the thought, efforts, and time put in by those on the committee to choose a new name for the University I think in looking at where we are in the process and at what is left we have to step back and admit that despite the efforts it just didn't happen. Remain "North Dakota" for now and likely over time a name or concept will organically evolve.

This isn't about being the de facto Fighting Sioux.....that is going to happen whether we go with Roughriders, North Stars, or remain North Dakota. This is about a process that failed to find a suitable replacement, whether it was set up to fail or manipulated to fail or just failed on it's own doesn't matter at this point, the bottom line is it did.

• Upvote 1

I'm not in the "no-nickname, stay Sioux, or die" club, but this quote from committee member John Bridewell says a lot to me about how much President Kelley has had his hands in matters behind the scenes, out of the public eye. 

UND Professor John Bridewell, on the other hand, was one of seven committee members who ranked it as their least favorite option and said faculty didn't want to move forward with that.

"President Kelley, if we send him North Dakota, no nickname, I think he could just disband the committee or just say we could start over or he could just veto it," Bridewell said.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3801860-undnorth-dakota-out-committee-forwards-5-nicknames-public-vote

And to this post, all Schlossman confirmed was that Kelley wasn't at the meeting. Nobody has been able to (or will be able to) prove that Kelley hasn't been whispering in committee ears all along.

Unless you have new information, you're repeating something that has already been debunked multiple times.  Schlossman, among others, have confirmed that this is false.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not in the "no-nickname, stay Sioux, or die" club, but this quote from committee member John Bridewell says a lot to me about how much President Kelly has had his hands in matters behind the scenes, out of the public eye. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3801860-undnorth-dakota-out-committee-forwards-5-nicknames-public-vote

And to this post, all Schlossman confirmed was that Kelly wasn't at the meeting. Nobody has been able to (or will be able to) prove that Kelly hasn't been whispering in committee ears all along.

This.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And to this post, all Schlossman confirmed was that Kelley wasn't at the meeting. Nobody has been able to (or will be able to) prove that Kelley hasn't been whispering in committee ears all along.

Wrong.

Peter Simon @Pistol66 11h11 hours ago

If rumor is true Kelly threatened to drop committee if they didn't drop it. Why have a Committee? @SchlossmanGF

Brad E. Schlossman@SchlossmanGF 11h11 hours ago

@Pistol66 Not true.

My take on the Final 5:

Roughriders: My favorite left. IMO makes the most sense based on criteria laid out by the committee

Sundogs: The PC crowd's let's light up the White House in rainbow colors option

NoDaks: Possibly the "no nickname" crowd's choice now that a nickname will be chosen

Fighting Hawks: The ram it down your throat this is how we do it consultant's choice

North Stars: If we as UND can't pick our own state's nickname let's steal our neighbors

If you look at these maybe the committee did do their job by trying to appease as many people as they could that might have some say in the final vote.

Good post. The only names I can honestly live with are North Stars, RR, and Fighting Hawks. In saying that a truly hope fighting hawks doesn't make it as it is too generic for our school. Pretty much, I have a top two.

I did sign the petition. However I don't think that will ever materialize. I'm open minded I guess ?

Unless you have new information, you're repeating something that has already been debunked multiple times.  Schlossman, among others, have confirmed that this is false.

Because a committee member would otherwise come out and say they were forced into choosing these 5 names or rather forced to leave UND off the ballot.....RIGHT??

It boggles my mind that the question has not been answered or even asked.....What does the NCAA think about UND choosing no nickname as an option and just being "North Dakota".  Did Kelley ever inquire about it?  Did Goehring or anyone on the committee ever bring it up?  Did the consultants ever wonder if it was an issue?  Seems like kind of big elephant in the room that still hasn't been answered!!

If Kelley wants to end all these protests and public outcry, he can simply ask the NCAA what their thoughts on having no nickname are.  Granted, it's probably about 8 moths late, but it would clear up a lot of questions and calm things down a lot more if the NCAA says that having no nickname is unacceptable. 

• Downvote 1

It boggles my mind that the question has not been answered or even asked.....What does the NCAA think about UND choosing no nickname as an option and just being "North Dakota". Did Kelley ever inquire about it? Did Goehring or anyone on the committee ever bring it up? Did the consultants ever wonder if it was an issue? Seems like kind of big elephant in the room that still hasn't been answered!!

If Kelley wants to end all these protests and public outcry, he can simply ask the NCAA what their thoughts on having no nickname are. Granted, it's probably about 8 moths late, but it would clear up a lot of questions and calm things down a lot more if the NCAA says that having no nickname is unacceptable.

There is a reason we don't know that answer, because Kelley doesn't want to know it. He wants a new nickname.

• Upvote 1

Wrong.

Peter Simon ‏@Pistol66 11h11 hours ago

If rumor is true Kelly threatened to drop committee if they didn't drop it. Why have a Committee? @SchlossmanGF

Brad E. Schlossman‏@SchlossmanGF 11h11 hours ago

@Pistol66 Not true.

That whole exchange was spurred on by tweets from @UofHockeyBlog (the tweets are now deleted) saying that Kelley was at the meeting and threatened to disband the committee. Schlossman isn't the ultimate authority on Mr. Kelley or even all things UND. He was just commenting on this rumor that Kelley was at the meeting and threatened to drop the committee. Try again.

That whole exchange was spurred on by tweets from @UofHockeyBlog (the tweets are now deleted) saying that Kelley was at the meeting and threatened to disband the committee. Schlossman isn't the ultimate authority on Mr. Kelley or even all things UND. He was just commenting on this rumor that Kelley was at the meeting and threatened to drop the committee. Try again.

The exchange I posted was 12 hours ago.  The meeting (and tweets you're referencing) were 36 hours ago. They are not tied together nor did the question I posted have anything about Kelley being at the meeting.  Someone point-blank asked Schlossman if the rumor of Kelley threatening to disband the committee was true.  It isn't and he responded with that exact answer.

It boggles my mind that the question has not been answered or even asked.....What does the NCAA think about UND choosing no nickname as an option and just being "North Dakota". Did Kelley ever inquire about it? Did Goehring or anyone on the committee ever bring it up? Did the consultants ever wonder if it was an issue? Seems like kind of big elephant in the room that still hasn't been answered!!

If Kelley wants to end all these protests and public outcry, he can simply ask the NCAA what their thoughts on having no nickname are. Granted, it's probably about 8 moths late, but it would clear up a lot of questions and calm things down a lot more if the NCAA says that having no nickname is unacceptable.

Because the NCAA likely doesn't care if we have no nickname. They wanted the Sioux gone, and it is. What fans call the teams outside of the official capacity of the school likely has no meaning to them. Do we seriously think that the NCAA cares that much about a hockey school in North Dakota? Everyone always makes them out to be this big bad boogie man, but they seriously have more pressing issues than North Dakota not having a nickname.

• Upvote 1

There is a reason we don't know that answer, because Kelley doesn't want to know it. He wants a new nickname.

It's his legacy... once it's done he's gone.   This is just a job to him, he could care less about North Dakota.  I bet after he retires he never steps foot back into this state.

Did the UND Facebook page get 60,000 likes in a day? Think a little...

I'm just playing the social media game like other posters are.  Several have posted how the majority of social media is a buzz and up in arms about the dropping of no nickname.  I'm just providing a little perspective, playing the same game...

He was the one who kept saying remaining North Dakota was an option.  Why say that at all when he wants a new nickname?

He was the one who kept saying remaining North Dakota was an option.  Why say that at all when he wants a new nickname?

I'm sure he was ;)  How didn't it make it to the final 5 then?  It's the first or second most popular option.

I'm sure he was ;)  How didn't it make it to the final 5 then?  It's the first or second most popular option.

Maybe because many people on the committee realize that we will just be going down the same road with protests from Native Americans and the intellectual elite, and that most of the people that want a nickname can't stand to see another 20 years of this crap going on in the media.  It turns out now though that it will be another group that drags this conversation on for another 20 years. 

• Upvote 1

Are u ever going to change ur name ?

No wise guy, I am not changing my user name. I will leave it as a tribute to the greatest nickname and logo of all time. Because I am not happy they are gone. But they are gone and the longer we drag this whole thing out (10 years this August 5th), the more damage will be done to UND. But there are so many people (and a bunch of them wrote whining and crying letters to the Heraldo) that only want what they want and screw the consequences.  Well, I care way more about UND than that. And anyone that disowns UND over this should just find the door, get out and don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out. :angry:

As for people questioning my loyalty to this institution and all of our programs, you can just bite me. My credentials are impeccable. I went to games as a kid, as a UND student and now as a season ticket holder to hockey and football. I have worked at UND for the better part of 12 years now; this place is pretty much a second home to me. So anyone that casually suggests that I don't care about UND because I want to move on from this nickname quagmire can kiss my a$$ because you don't know me and you don't know what you are talking about.

And if hockey is all that matters and all that should matter, why don't we just go non-scholarship in all our other sports and focus on men's and women's hockey 100%? Either that or move back down to D-II and hook up with the NSIC. We'll get a chance at revenge on Grand Valley State in the D-II football playoffs, doesn't that just make you tingle all over? :silly:

I will continue supporting UND no matter what happens the next couple of months. Anyone that wants to get off the bandwagon (and there was one in the Heraldo today) can get off and stay off. We don't need you.

End Rant.

• Upvote 2

Maybe because many people on the committee realize that we will just be going down the same road with protests from Native Americans and the intellectual elite, and that most of the people that want a nickname can't stand to see another 20 years of this crap going on in the media.  It turns out now though that it will be another group that drags this conversation on for another 20 years. 

You may have missed my point.  I was simply trying to note that remaining ND was never an option, even though Kelley stated as such.

I was simply trying to note that remaining ND was never an option, even though Kelley stated as such.

I think this is a very fair assessment.  I was always of the opinion that at the end of this process there was zero chance UND wasn't going to have a new nickname and was going to stay just "North Dakota"...and for the record I could have easily lived with being just "North Dakota" although it wasn't my top preference.

I'm not in the "no-nickname, stay Sioux, or die" club, but this quote from committee member John Bridewell says a lot to me about how much President Kelley has had his hands in matters behind the scenes, out of the public eye. 

And Kelley was unavailable for comment because he was in Bismarck.  Because we all know that in 2015, it's nearly impossible to communicate with someone who is out of town.

It is curious that it seems that the Sioux Forever crowd seems to be younger fans/college students, and the fans that want UND to select a new name are older.  Sure it's not the case all around, but I have noticed that seems to be about the demographic for each group.  What is intriguing is these college students were barely out of grade school when all this went down 10 years ago.  Many of them may be unaware of the process that has transpired this past 10 years.  Which may be why many of the younger Sioux forever/no nickname supporters are willing to go all in on their beliefs.  They simply do not know all the facts.  Dom I blame them, no.  But they should at least get educated on the entire 10 year process and all that has taken place before making a stance on an issue.  College kids thinking and rationalizing their decisions.......Might be too much to ask!! :)

It is curious that it seems that the Sioux Forever crowd seems to be younger fans/college students, and the fans that want UND to select a new name are older.  Sure it's not the case all around, but I have noticed that seems to be about the demographic for each group.  What is intriguing is these college students were barely out of grade school when all this went down 10 years ago.  Many of them may be unaware of the process that has transpired this past 10 years.  Which may be why many of the younger Sioux forever/no nickname supporters are willing to go all in on their beliefs.  They simply do not know all the facts.  Dom I blame them, no.  But they should at least get educated on the entire 10 year process and all that has taken place before making a stance on an issue.  College kids thinking and rationalizing their decisions.......Might be too much to ask!! :)

No matter what nickname is chosen, if there is a cool logo/emblem, they'll start to warm up to it.

Also, as soon as they hear the opposition using the name to taunt, no matter what the name is, UND fans will rally around it.  Nothing like a gaggle of fat food service worker/FU grads making fun of our new nickname to help fortify UND fans together. 

• Upvote 1