SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Wht is trademarking such a big concern?  I am no expert, but seems that there are many colleges/universities using  Billdogs, Eagles, Cougars, and Wildcats that don't seem to have any issues.  Name can be the same, as long as the logo is different.  SOmone have and tradmark expertise that can explaion this to all of us?

If it's all about trademarking, then Fighting Hawks needs to be eliminated too. I call B.S., this is about the PC police getting rid of Roughriders. Not to mention the supporters of Sun Dogs.

No wise guy, I am not changing my user name. I will leave it as a tribute to the greatest nickname and logo of all time. Because I am not happy they are gone. But they are gone and the longer we drag this whole thing out (10 years this August 5th), the more damage will be done to UND. But there are so many people (and a bunch of them wrote whining and crying letters to the Heraldo) that only want what they want and screw the consequences. Well, I care way more about UND than that. And anyone that disowns UND over this should just find the door, get out and don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out. :angry:

As for people questioning my loyalty to this institution and all of our programs, you can just bite me. My credentials are impeccable. I went to games as a kid, as a UND student and now as a season ticket holder to hockey and football. I have worked at UND for the better part of 12 years now; this place is pretty much a second home to me. So anyone that casually suggests that I don't care about UND because I want to move on from this nickname quagmire can kiss my a$$ because you don't know me and you don't know what you are talking about.

And if hockey is all that matters and all that should matter, why don't we just go non-scholarship in all our other sports and focus on men's and women's hockey 100%? Either that or move back down to D-II and hook up with the NSIC. We'll get a chance at revenge on Grand Valley State in the D-II football playoffs, doesn't that just make you tingle all over? :silly:

I will continue supporting UND no matter what happens the next couple of months. Anyone that wants to get off the bandwagon (and there was one in the Heraldo today) can get off and stay off. We don't need you.

End Rant.

Lots of angry words - how can anyone believe u when u chose a name that is a lie ?

• Downvote 2

When people disregard the health and vitality of an institution I love, yes, I will get angry.

And a new name won't be a "lie". Where do you get that logic?

Ur nickname is a lie - they all are - Hell I'm sick of nicknames - maybe that's why just ND appeals to so many

Ur nickname is a lie - He'll they all are - Hell I'm sick of nicknames

Why is fightingsioux4life's screen name a lie when all it does is reflect that he holds the old Fighting Sioux nickname and logo in high regard in his heart and always will just the same as you have always stated you do?  

• Upvote 1

I never gave up

Really Mr. Moral High Ground? And the rest of us did? Let me clue you into something that has apparently gone straight over your head or bounced off of it without penetrating your thick skull: All of us in the Fighting Sioux family fought the good fight on this. We fought for years (almost 10) to preserve and protect this iconic name and logo. But the cards were stacked against us from the start and it just didn't work out. We didn't quit, we lost. In life, you will win and lose battles. There is no shame in losing, just in not trying or quitting prematurely. We didn't quit too soon, we lost. I can sleep at night knowing that. And I do.

• Upvote 1

I have been meaning to post this for awhile however I just thought about it again yesterday.  Why do we have to have a nickname?  Many say it has something to do with branding and marketability.  

I live in the twin cities and am involved in hockey here, so am at the rinks quite bit.  When I look around at the kids I tend to notice a ton of UND hats, shirts, etc.  Some have the Sioux logos but many of these youngsters have the new logo. Actually, if I would rank the team support I see from many of the kids in this area it is probably the Wild, Gophers, and UND (in that order).  I notice UND apparel so much here, in every sporting goods store.  I honestly don't think marketability would be an issue whatsoever.  The hockey program alone keeps that strong.

• Upvote 1

If Kelley wants to get rid of Roughriders, he'll do it BEFORE the public vote and cite trademark issues as the reason.  

But I thought the committee got rid of all of those names right from the start.  That is why I assumed names like Trailblazers and such weren't kept but names like Spirit, Pride, etc. were.   If they go down that path at the end, then you really have to wonder if anybody has any common sense at all with such supposed intellectuals. 

I have been meaning to post this for awhile however I just thought about it again yesterday.  Why do we have to have a nickname?  Many say it has something to do with branding and marketability.  

I live in the twin cities and am involved in hockey here, so am at the rinks quite bit.  When I look around at the kids I tend to notice a ton of UND hats, shirts, etc.  Some have the Sioux logos but many of these youngsters have the new logo. Actually, if I would rank the team support I see from many of the kids in this area it is probably the Wild, Gophers, and UND (in that order).  I notice UND apparel so much here, in every sporting goods store.  I honestly don't think marketability would be an issue whatsoever.  The hockey program alone keeps that strong.

Scheels in Bismarck has relegated UND items to a tiny section (1 rack) in the back.

Marketing is just one aspect.  How about cheers? How about sports reporting/sports casters?  Continually writing North Dakota get "old/boring."  Eventually they will call us something else to describe us.  We've already seen Nodaks, Big Green, etc in sport articles.  As one poster on here has said, numerous times.  Control what is yours to control, or someone else will...or something to that effect.

Marketing is just one aspect.  How about cheers? How about sports reporting/sports casters?  Continually writing North Dakota get "old/boring."  Eventually they will call us something else to describe us.  We've already seen Nodaks, Big Green, etc in sport articles.  As one poster on here has said, numerous times.  Control what is yours to control, or someone else will...or something to that effect.

"Green and White" is my least favorite substitute.

Really Mr. Moral High Ground? And the rest of us did? Let me clue you into something that has apparently gone straight over your head or bounced off of it without penetrating your thick skull: All of us in the Fighting Sioux family fought the good fight on this. We fought for years (almost 10) to preserve and protect this iconic name and logo. But the cards were stacked against us from the start and it just didn't work out. We didn't quit, we lost. In life, you will win and lose battles. There is no shame in losing, just in not trying or quitting prematurely. We didn't quit too soon, we lost. I can sleep at night knowing that. And I do.

I do respect ur passion

Just think to many gave up at the wrong time under bad leadership

IF... all 5 names are still on the ballot, or 4.  There needs to be 2 rounds of voting.  This part need to be done right where a MAJORITY (50% or more) can get behind a name.  25% out of all 5 name is not a mandate. 

If it gets cut to 3 or less, then go ahead with 1 round. 

IF... all 5 names are still on the ballot, or 4.  There needs to be 2 rounds of voting.  This part need to be done right where a MAJORITY (50% or more) can get behind a name.  25% out of all 5 name is not a mandate. 

If it gets cut to 3 or less, then go ahead with 1 round. 

A run-off? I like it.

Did the UND Facebook page get 60,000 likes in a day? Think a little...

Sorry to bring this up again, but the petition is all the way up to 3,000, so roughly 57,000 fans are not worked up enough to sign the petition.  How long does the petition need to be posted to get to half (or a majority)?  The majority of the fans upset/acting out on social media will be highest shortly after the event that caused them to become upset so I don't think we need to wait a couple years so people "have more time" to sign the petition.  If it get up close to or passes 30,000 signatures then you can say the majority of UND fans on social media are upset and want to keep the "no nickname" option.  I don't think it will come close to even 20,000...I could be wrong.

Edit:  Looked at the petition wrong.  It's up to 3700.  Their goal is 5,000.  I'm sure they will reach the goal, but still far from reaching a majority of UND fans supporting their cause.

• Downvote 2

I have been meaning to post this for awhile however I just thought about it again yesterday. Why do we have to have a nickname? Many say it has something to do with branding and marketability.

I live in the twin cities and am involved in hockey here, so am at the rinks quite bit. When I look around at the kids I tend to notice a ton of UND hats, shirts, etc. Some have the Sioux logos but many of these youngsters have the new logo. Actually, if I would rank the team support I see from many of the kids in this area it is probably the Wild, Gophers, and UND (in that order). I notice UND apparel so much here, in every sporting goods store. I honestly don't think marketability would be an issue whatsoever. The hockey program alone keeps that strong.

I agree and have said so on here numerous times. The scare tactic about merchandise and marketability is just that- a scare tactic.

But I thought the committee got rid of all of those names right from the start.  That is why I assumed names like Trailblazers and such weren't kept but names like Spirit, Pride, etc. were.   If they go down that path at the end, then you really have to wonder if anybody has any common sense at all with such supposed intellectuals. 

Trademark would be the cited reason, not the actual reason.

I have no idea if Roughriders will make it to the actual vote.  I'm just saying that if Kelley is not going to allow that nickname, he'd be an utter fool to wait until after it's won the popular vote before eliminating it.  I can't even imagine the outcry if that were to happen.

A run-off? I like it.

To me its the best way to go about if we have 4-5 left.  Is it perfect? No, because we still can have a close vote.  In my scenario, we have 5 names in round 1.  Take the top 2 and revote.  I would add this one criteria.  If a name gets a supermajority (over 66%) in round 1, then there would be no need for a 2nd round of voting. 

But what do I know, I am a millennial college student