SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Same here. I've lived in Minnesota longer than I lived in ND.

I was born in Iowa, cue the jokes. Lived in Minnesota (Baudette, Int'l Falls and Bemidji). Left high school, I lived in Mass and Germany via the U.S. Army, moved to North Dakota in 1993, lived here since. I have lived in ND most of my adult life, I am not going to claim Minnesota as my home. I am a North Dakotan. 

"The decision also tells us that the process was never really about finding out what the public wanted."

It never was about what the public wanted. The public wants Fighting Sioux or nothing at all.

They do their job to find a new nickname. Anything else and they would have failed.

• Upvote 3

My point is that "generic" nicknames that you find boring are more than popular in lots of places - even in the SEC.

Half the names are Bulldogs or Tigers. In this part of the country, state nicknames are popular, like Sioux, Gophers, Badgers, Wolverines, Illini, Hoosiers, Buckeyes, Cornhuskers.

But I guess Northerners are just all screwed up then.

My point is that "generic" nicknames that you find boring are more than popular in lots of places - even in the SEC.

To be frank, UND is no SEC team. That might matter in our fans' perceptions of nickname candidates. We felt embiggened by Fighting Sioux in a way we don't by some of the more "generic" candidates.

Nonetheless, I'll be cheering for the UND Whatevers, but I do wonder about the correct strategy to maximize the retention and growth of the fan base.

"There's a lot more Knights gear these days than Redskins apparel at Grand Forks Central."

Gee, Tom, ya think? What's it been, only a quarter of a century since the name was changed? Would you be equally surprised to wander around Los Angeles these days and not run into someone wearing an LA Raiders t-shirt?

• Upvote 1

No, Brad, I'm sorry, you're wrong by a decade.

What the public wanted was to not have to deal with any of this. Instead we got Leigh Jeanotte, Lucy Ganje, Dr. Roy Saigo, Eric Longie, Jesse Taken Alive, Ron His Horse Is Thunder, ...

and The NCAA Executive Committee and August 5, 2005.

Truth is conformity of the mind to reality. The reality is that we didn't want to be here. But we are here.

"There's a lot more Knights gear these days than Redskins apparel at Grand Forks Central."

Gee, Tom, ya think? What's it been, only a quarter of a century since the name was changed? Would you be equally surprised to wander around Los Angeles these days and ot run into someone wearing an LA Raiders t-shirt?

So it will only take 25 years for my Sundogs sweater to come en vogue? Cool! I'll only be 68 years old!

Somewhere back a page or two Jim Dahl said that "Fighting Hawks" is more worthy of a smaller college. I 100% agree. It's weak and not worthy of a "University of < state >".

And to point, for your review: "Dickinson State Blue Hawks". Yes, a classic example of everything wrong with the "Hawks" motif. It's:

- consultant template "<adjective > Hawks"

- it replaced some thing Native related ("Savages")

- and it's on a DII state system college

North Dakota doesn't need more Hawks. It has Dickinson State ... and (American Association baseball) Fargo-Moorhead Red Hawks.

They all suck really bad.  Here's to attending the protests on Friday and in August.  Brad's right.  The process was/is a sham.  At least a lot of people weren't so naive to think that it was legitimate in the first place. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wonder how many people on here went to UND but are from another state. It's easy to say things like this about "fans of the hockey team" who didn't go to the school, but I could say something similar about somebody who went to UND but is not from North Dakota. They didn't grow up in North Dakota. They don't get how much all this means to people that did grow up in North Dakota. I grew up in Mandan. I didn't go to UND or NDSU, but I grew up loving both schools. I went to the University of Minnesota--mainly because I had family living in the Twin Cities that I could stay with, but not in Grand Forks. (I would have chosen UND over both NDSU and Minnesota, if all things were equal. I loved UND when I went on my campus visit.) In my day we were taught North Dakota history extensively. A lot of that was about the natives that lived in what became North Dakota. We took pride in it. It was our history. We were taught that the natives had honor, pride, were family-oriented, etc. We'd like to think we were cut from the same cloth. This isn't an easy transition, and it burns our ass that the Fighting Sioux name was lost because outside forces got overly P.C. It's easy to say "get over it," but this means something to us. It's why there is such emotion that boils over when the people are given five lousy names to vote on. (I'd argue four lousy names and one solid one that will likely get cut before a final vote.)

Nice post. This also reinforces whey UND cannot pick 'North Stars'.  

• Downvote 1