SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Championship News

cberkas

Category SWE USA

Shots 23 46 <-- that's outshooting 2:1

PIM 16 12 <-- that's not extraordinarily high

Seems to me that SWE played their game and won. Plus, they (SWE) have the "playing next door" advantage that the USA is used to when the WJC is in Canada. 

4 hours ago, bypolairxam said:

Like watching a Hakstol UND team....Dazzle,dazzle,dazzle,but don't score....

I thought the criticism of Hakstol was the opposite:  chip along the boards, dump and chase, don't let the talent open things up and be "creative."  

Also credit the Swedish defense.  The did a good job of keeping shots to the outside and very few shots in the prime area were uncontested.  Also credit some poor shooting by the US.  Several times the Swedish goalie was laying on his side on the ice and the US shot it into him instead of lifting the puck over him.

And finally, just when you are to the point of pulling your goalie for the extra attacker, two stupid penalties.  First, too many men and then a totally undisciplined crosscheck to the head.  The guys have to learn that the refs will not allow this to become a macho contest.

30 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

Also credit the Swedish defense.  The did a good job of keeping shots to the outside and very few shots in the prime area were uncontested.  Also credit some poor shooting by the US.  Several times the Swedish goalie was laying on his side on the ice and the US shot it into him instead of lifting the puck over him.

And finally, just when you are to the point of pulling your goalie for the extra attacker, two stupid penalties.  First, too many men and then a totally undisciplined crosscheck to the head.  The guys have to learn that the refs will not allow this to become a macho contest.

Tkachuk's penalty was terrible. I get that he tries to get under people's skin but seems he's the one getting rattled.

I remember really disliking him when he played against us in January. He was super chippy for an exhibition and it rubbed me the wrong way.

39 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Tkachuk's penalty was terrible. I get that he tries to get under people's skin but seems he's the one getting rattled.

I remember really disliking him when he played against us in January. He was super chippy for an exhibition and it rubbed me the wrong way.

Sounds like JT Miller when he played in GF.

52 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And now they'll claim they are "back on track for the gold". :silly:

This should be alarming to our neighbors to the north. Getting pushed to a shootout by the Swiss is not a good sign for them.

Especially considering that same Swiss team lost to the Swedes 8-3 on Thursday.  This is the worst Canadian team I've seen in quite a few years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Folks, let's not get too haughty until the USA / SUI game is over. And, the SWE / CAN is yet to be played as well. 

Not being haughty here.  Just pointing out that the "gnashing of teeth" Canadian comments have started after just two games.  That in no way implies anything about potential finishes of either US or Canadian teams.