SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

I don't think I can name half of the big sky team mascots.....

Idaho Vandals

Idaho state ?

Montana griz

Montana state Bobcats

Cal Davis Aggies

Cal poly ?

Eastern Washington RedHawks ????

Northern Colorado ?

Weber state ?

Portland state ?

Southern Utah ? Cyclones ?

Nothern Arizona lumber jacks?

I think I'm forgetting some of the schools

Man some of these schools need to get new nicknames or work on their branding department

Why should we adopt a logo if the choices are lame and not meaningful?

I don't think I can name half of the big sky team mascots.....

Idaho Vandals

Idaho state ?

Montana griz

Montana state Bobcats

Cal Davis Aggies

Cal poly ?

Eastern Washington RedHawks ????

Northern Colorado ?

Weber state ?

Portland state ?

Southern Utah ? Cyclones ?

Nothern Arizona lumber jacks?

I think I'm forgetting some of the schools

Man some of these schools need to get new nicknames or work on their branding department

Why should we adopt a logo if the choices are lame and not meaningful?

Idaho St Bengals

Cal Poly Mustangs

Eastern Washington Eagles

Northern Colorado Bears

Weber St Wildcats

Portland St Vikings

SUU Thunderbirds

NAU is the Lumberjacks

Alright, time for a reality check for all those "no name" "just be North Dakota" supporters out there.  In case you all forgot, I direct you to the voting results from the June 15th committee meeting that narrowed the list down to the current 7.

http://und.edu/university-public-affairs/nickname/6-15-15.cfm

"North Dakota" finished last in the remaining 7 and it was last with a bullet.  Recieving 14 less votes than the 6th highest point getter Green Hawks.  The list will be most likely narrowed down to 2-4 finalist to be voted on.  If you think that all of a sudden the committee is going to springboard a name option to make a final 3, you are kidding yourselves.  Sure it may be popular with many fans, but the fans don't get a say, YET.  The committee is responsible for narrowing the list down again for a final vote.  If they follow the trend in this latest vote, "North Dakota" will not be moving forward.

• Upvote 1

Alright, time for a reality check for all those "no name" "just be North Dakota" supporters out there. In case you all forgot, I direct you to the voting results from the June 15th committee meeting that narrowed the list down to the current 7.

"North Dakota" finished last in the remaining 7 and it was last with a bullet. Recieving 14 less votes than the 6th highest point getter Green Hawks. The list will be most likely narrowed down to 2-4 finalist to be voted on. If you think that all of a sudden the committee is going to springboard a name option to make a final 3, you are kidding yourselves. Sure it may be popular with many fans, but the fans don't get a say, YET. The committee is responsible for narrowing the list down again for a final vote. If they follow the trend in this lates vote, "North Dakota" will not be moving forward.

Keep telling yourself that....

I think this guy qualifies as a "true stakeholder"... You think?

Check out @FPTimCampbell's Tweet: https://twitter.com/FPTimCampbell/status/618422150295363584?s=09

Alright, time for a reality check for all those "no name" "just be North Dakota" supporters out there.  In case you all forgot, I direct you to the voting results from the June 15th committee meeting that narrowed the list down to the current 7.

"North Dakota" finished last in the remaining 7 and it was last with a bullet.  Recieving 14 less votes than the 6th highest point getter Green Hawks.  The list will be most likely narrowed down to 2-4 finalist to be voted on.  If you think that all of a sudden the committee is going to springboard a name option to make a final 3, you are kidding yourselves.  Sure it may be popular with many fans, but the fans don't get a say, YET.  The committee is responsible for narrowing the list down again for a final vote.  If they follow the trend in this latest vote, "North Dakota" will not be moving forward.

Even if you disregard the two negative scores and use only the positive score for North Dakota, it score less than any other name on the list.

On the other hand, maybe the only way to prove that remaining North Dakota is not the answer to the 'North Dakota only' crowd is to have a 2 candidate vote between no nickname and each of the rest of the finalists. It should beat out Sundogs, but highly unlikely that it would beat Roughriders head to head, imho.

If this committee really wants to piss alumni off even more they should keep North Dakota as an option. It's really sad that after all this work the best logo they have is the Roughriders. The logo has be be very meaningful for it to truly replace the sioux tradition

If this committee really wants to piss alumni off even more they should keep North Dakota as an option. It's really sad that after all this work the best logo they have is the Roughriders. The logo has be be very meaningful for it to truly replace the sioux tradition

All the big alumni seem to want to keep the no name option.

All the big alumni seem to want to keep the no name option.

Huh?  What or who's comments are you basing that off of?  Dave St. Peter indicated that he was open to the idea but also didn't say he was against having one.  That's all that I've seen.  But somehow "all the big alumni" want "no nickname"?

All the recent polls, though very unscientific and with no actual degree of accuracy, have indicated that people prefer Roughriders over "no nickname" and any nickname over "no nickname" (GF Herald, Forum, SiouxSports).

Huh?  What or who's comments are you basing that off of?  Dave St. Peter indicated that he was open to the idea but also didn't say he was against having one.  That's all that I've seen.  But somehow "all the big alumni" want "no nickname"?

All the recent polls, though very unscientific and with no actual degree of accuracy, have indicated that people prefer Roughriders over "no nickname" and any nickname over "no nickname" (GF Herald, Forum, SiouxSports).

They think repeating it enough will make it come true.

They think repeating it enough will make it come true.

Right, and the internet warriors that voted for nicknames repeatedly and/or post here all day long think its unfathomable that some of those people we all saw wearing Sioux jerseys during the run to the Frozen Four might want to remain the University of North Dakota without some random marketing cheese for t-shirt sales and a feather in some career educator's cap. If the final 3 are "North Dakota" "North Dakota Roughriders" and "North Dakota Sundogs", I would expect a very close race between RR and no nickname. Luckily, those are my top two.

Right, and the internet warriors that voted for nicknames repeatedly and/or post here all day long think its unfathomable that some of those people we all saw wearing Sioux jerseys during the run to the Frozen Four might want to remain the University of North Dakota without some random marketing cheese for t-shirt sales and a feather in some career educator's cap. If the final 3 are "North Dakota" "North Dakota Roughriders" and "North Dakota Sundogs", I would expect a very close race between RR and no nickname. Luckily, those are my top two.

What you're saying is completely different than saying "All the big alumni seem to want to keep the no name option".

Uhh.... No.

http://www.inforum.com/news/3767454-inforum-poll-finds-und-fans-want-north-dakota

If 33.64% of the people voted to have no nickname and just be 'North Dakota', do some quick math and tell me me what percentage voted for a differenct nickname.  I'll save you some time and just let you know that it is MORE than 33.64%

That poll was not conducted in such a way that can support the statement "any nickname is favored over no nickname" - even if multiple voting was not possible (and it was).  What was said above was that if the final options were "Sundogs" (which satisfies the "any nickname" category) and "no nickname", then "Sundogs" would prove to be more popular.  I think that unlikely, but because participants were allowed to vote multiple times, it's impossible to say with any certainty.  Also those responding to a newspaper website poll do not necessarily provide an accurate cross-section of those that will be allowed to vote on the issue, or even of the overall population.

That poll was not conducted in such a way that can support the statement "any nickname is favored over no nickname" - even if multiple voting was not possible (and it was).

OK, looks like I will have to do the math for some people on here.  No nickname (or North Dakota in the poll)  got 33.64% of the total votes.  The other 6 got 66.36% vote combined.  So a logical conclussion would be that 66.36% of people favored either Roughriders, Nodaks, Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, North Stars or Sundogs.  The poll didn't ask simply nickname or no nickname, but it is fair to make the conclusion based on the numbers.