SiouxSports.com Forum

FARGO Regional - SIOUX/QUI TECH/SCSU

AZSIOUX

I didn't hear all of Pecknold's comments...but I question why so many are taking shots at him because of the Anas injury deal?  Why would he have to (or want to) tell the world Anas' status?  If I was him, I'd do the same.

My issue is that he changed his tune on it.  It went from a very public "Woe is me, we're dreaming if we think Anas could possibly play" to "I will not comment on injuries or the line-up." when he thought Anas might play.  If you don't want to comment on injuries that's fine, but be consistent.

My issue is that he changed his tune on it.  It went from a very public "Woe is me, we're dreaming if we think Anas could possibly play" to "I will not comment on injuries or the line-up." when he thought Anas might play.  If you don't want to comment on injuries that's fine, but be consistent.

Yup, my thoughts too. He was clearly trying to play games and he has a history of it. Funny thing is, I'm sure it didn't affect Hakstol's gameplan one bit or change anything he did throughout the week.

Yup, my thoughts too. He was clearly trying to play games and he has a history of it. Funny thing is, I'm sure it didn't affect Hakstol's gameplan one bit or change anything he did throughout the week.

I guess I don't see an issue here.  Who cares what he says, or if he's "playing games"?  Is there a rule that says you have to be 100% honest with injury reports?  Or a rule that says if you say something at first, you can't say "no comment" later?  It's not "cheating" is it?  You guys would seriously have an issue with Hakstol saying that MacMillan is done for the year, and then he ends up suiting up on Saturday night?

And I agree, I don't think it had any difference on how the Sioux prepared.  I just don't see an issue here.

* For the record, I think there is no chance that Mac plays, but just using that as an example.

I guess I don't see an issue here. Who cares what he says, or if he's "playing games"? Is there a rule that says you have to be 100% honest with injury reports? Or a rule that says if you say something at first, you can't say "no comment" later? It's not "cheating" is it? You guys would seriously have an issue with Hakstol saying that MacMillan is done for the year, and then he ends up suiting up on Saturday night?

And I agree, I don't think it had any difference on how the Sioux prepared. I just don't see an issue here.

* For the record, I think there is no chance that Mac plays, but just using that as an example.

To each, their own. I just think playing games like that is classless. He's evidently got a history of it, too. Then saying "no comment" when asked about Anas practicing on Thursday? It's dumb. Also, playing those games put his best player in the crosshairs. He told everyone Anas was essentially a wounded duck. Not gonna argue about it, I just saw it as classless coming into a tourney game.

There's not an issue, but I brought it to light because I thought it was a bush league move... Plus... I didn't have much for thorns for my column :)

To each, their own. I just think playing games like that is classless. He's evidently got a history of it, too. Then saying "no comment" when asked about Anas practicing on Thursday? It's dumb. Also, playing those games put his best player in the crosshairs. He told everyone Anas was essentially a wounded duck. Not gonna argue about it, I just saw it as classless coming into a tourney game.

Agreed, not worth arguing about.  But disagree on the classless part.  I can think of a lot of things that are classless, but this....nope.  I read these comments like:

"I can't believe the other coach isn't being honest to us about his team's injuries, that big meany!  How could he lie to us like that?!" :p 

I guess I don't see an issue here.  Who cares what he says, or if he's "playing games"?  Is there a rule that says you have to be 100% honest with injury reports?  Or a rule that says if you say something at first, you can't say "no comment" later?  It's not "cheating" is it?  You guys would seriously have an issue with Hakstol saying that MacMillan is done for the year, and then he ends up suiting up on Saturday night?

And I agree, I don't think it had any difference on how the Sioux prepared.  I just don't see an issue here.

I just thought it was stupid of him to say it.  Honestly, I thought it would be better if he said nothing about the injury too the whole time. 

Now every oppossing team knows there is an injured anas on the ice to pound(I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Agreed, not worth arguing about. But disagree on the classless part. I can think of a lot of things that are classless, but this....nope. I read these comments like:

"I can't believe the other coach isn't being honest to us about his team's injuries, that big meany! How could he lie to us like that?!" :p

Lol that's fair. I just see Pecknold as a slimy, used car salesman type. Not a fan.

I just thought it was stupid of him to say it. Honestly, I thought it would be better if he said nothing about the injury too the whole time.

Now every oppossing team knows there is an injured anas on the ice to pound(I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Hahahaha

So Pecknold is complaining about this not being a neutral site?  Really?? Since when in Worcester, Manchester, Providence, Rochester, The X, Joe Lewis, do I need to go on, neutral sites?  So am I getting this right, if it is out east it is ok to have the game within 75 miles of Boston?  If it is Minn, they can play 10 miles to the east in St. Paul?  Sounds like some sour grapes going on here.

So Pecknold is complaining about this not being a neutral site?  Really?? Since when in Worcester, Manchester, Providence, Rochester, The X, Joe Lewis, do I need to go on, neutral sites?  So am I getting this right, if it is out east it is ok to have the game within 75 miles of Boston?  If it is Minn, they can play 10 miles to the east in St. Paul?  Sounds like some sour grapes going on here.

Quinnipiac guy is just mad that last year they had a regional in BRIDGEPORT, CONNECTICUT... just a short drive from their campus.... and couldn't fill it with their own fans to give them an advantage. 

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2015/03/28_bobcats_buried_in_fargo.php

Doesn't sound like Pecknold was upset about the venue to me, unless I'm missing something. Sounds like people are just looking for an excuse to complain about & pick apart an opposing coach:

Much has been made recently about whether Regionals should remain at neutral sites, given the small crowds in some years and some venues. Despite technically being a neutral site, Fargo was no such thing, with North Dakota fans packed into Scheels Arena. But Quinnipiac didn't seem to mind.

“I didn’t think it was intimidating," Pecknold said. "I really thought it was a great atmosphere. I’ve got to give it to North Dakota, they have some of the best fans in the country. Obviously the arena is great, it’s really a good venue.”

“Having been on the committee before, it is a battle to keep neutral sites and obviously this was not a neutral site but we were the 14 seed so you have to go on the road and take your lumps," Pecknold said. "If we had had a better regular season we wouldn’t have to come here and play, but I thought it was great.”

Its cause the coach lied.

He said the Fargo regional is not a neutral site.

It is in fact a neutral site.

What's he want, must declare what team you're cheering for before you can buy ticket to make sure its equal. Was there more UND fans there than any other team? Yes they were the hosts. Doesn't make it not a neutral site...UND is college hockey and with that comes a lot of jealousy.

What's he want, must declare what team you're cheering for before you can buy ticket to make sure its equal. Was there more UND fans there than any other team? Yes they were the hosts. Doesn't make it not a neutral site...UND is college hockey and with that comes a lot of jealousy.

He also basically says if they had a better season they would'nt have been at a site tilted so much against them. I find it funny how spoiled these teams out east are when it comes to where they are placed in the regionals. So favored that all you have to do is look at quinnipiac's travel situation this year as a rarity. Look where providence got placed as a 4 seed this year - in providence for attendance reasons and they were a #4 seed.

I'm all for the Xcel letting the other Minnesota Schools host a regional there, but that will never happen.

I think that has happened... Didn't St. Cloud host there a couple years ago? Or even Mankato, though if they did I don't believe they made the tourney that year.

it may have been a neutral site but it wasn't a neutral environment.   it's no different than UND fans (including me) who never bought the X as a neutral environment for the gophers for the Final Five.   That doesn't mean I was against the location, I actually loved it there.  But the realist in me said if there are 10,000 gopher fans in the building it's not "neutral".   Sioux fans flocked there was well but we never filled it like the gopher fans did when they were interested in the game.

There's no reason to apologize or be upset if an opposing coach says the regional wasn't a neutral site.   Hakstol himself (or was it players) said the fans gave the team extra energy.   That's the system, and UND landed that regional by following the rules.  Nothing to apologize for, and I didn't get the impression Pecknold was belly-aching either.  He was stating a simple fact.

And like he said, if he doesn't like it, then he should get a higher seed and a better chance of not having to travel so far from home.

UND should lock up a regional every other year at Scheels just like MN does at the X.

• Upvote 1

And now the tides will turn in Boston.

I see it more as a leveling out, rather than tides turning.  UND travels by plane several times every year and this team is road tested from last year's regional and FF.  We're not going to let it be a 90% BU crowd, and we know these guys are used to a packed house :)

I see it more as a leveling out, rather than tides turning.  UND travels by plane several times every year and this team is road tested from last year's regional and FF.  We're not going to let it be a 90% BU crowd, and we know these guys are used to a packed house :)

Hak has said he would rather play in front of a packed house of the opposing team than and empty building, in regards to Regionals.  I think he probably feels the same way here.   I think that it will add extra motivation to beat these guys on a large stage in their home city.  Not that you need extra motivation when you are playing in the National semifinal, but you can still use it.

Hak said in the presser yesterday that the building will be 90% BU fans. And he kept a straight face saying it. #sandbagging

If that is what he has to say to get his team motivated, more power to him.  I know there will be more than 1800 Sioux fans there, I would hope lots more.  

My question is... will the other fans in Boston that don't like BU (BC, Harvard, NE, in particular) cheer for the Sioux against the Terriers? Or does the eastern favoritism shine through? I have a feeling there will be a lot of BC, HU and NE fans cheering for Providence.