SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

I do too but at least it gives you a third party source to get all the points you can.

I won't disagree but I believe there was a lot of chest thumping going on about how Massey's preseason strength of schedule came out. If you're going to claim that as accurate, then no reason to not follow the same logic for the score prediction.

I don't think I was apart of that thumping. I don't put any weight to any pre season polls since they aren't accurate. Mid season is when all the polls and rankings are valid.

I don't think I was apart of that thumping. I don't put any weight to any pre season polls since they aren't accurate. Mid season is when all the polls and rankings are valid.

You weren't, it wasn't on this board nor did it involve UND, didn't mean to make it look like I was directly my comments at you.  I was referring to NDSU folks who will claim the preseason SOS was accurate but then not give a 35 point spread because they are preseason numbers.

I agree with you somewhat on polls and rankings, but I wouldn't necessarily call them accurate even at midseason.  Voters aren't always that informed and computer numbers can be skewed, but they are more or less a shot in the dark at the beginning of the year and slowly get closer to accurate as the season goes on.

Nothing out yet.  Doubtful you'll see anything ahead of time either. However, Massey's ratings shows the "Most Likely" score at 38-3.  No clue what his preseason stuff is based on, particularly for FCS.  I'd show him that and take the 35 points all the way to the bank.  FU fans are very vocal on how important computer rankings (Sagarin, Massey, etc) are when they are favorable to them, no reason they should trust them to help set a line.

http://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=279541&t0=North+Dakota&h=-1&s1=279541&t1=North+Dakota+State

Wow, they only give us 1 chance out of 100 to win?     I have the game circled as one of our loses, but I don't think it will be as bad as Massey predicts.

Random question- My brother who is a NDSU fan wants to propose a bet with me on the upcoming game. Has anyone seen any predicted spread of this game? (or is it even out yet)

Thanks

Talked to a buddy of mine who is an ex Bison player. He was pretty confident in giving me 45 points.

Talked to a buddy of mine who is an ex Bison player. He was pretty confident in giving me 45 points.

My brother was talking big, even to the extent of calling UND d2. I then offered to agree to a 35 point spread, since he was so confident, and he would not take it. Figures lol.

the ndac hasn't had to throw that much in the last few years bc of crockett...he's gone and i doubt his replacement is as good as him so maybe they will have to throw and if they do bubba and company are gonna blitz...and although wentz is fast he also a big target for our lb's to hit and hopefully hit hard

the ndac hasn't had to throw that much in the last few years bc of crockett...he's gone and i doubt his replacement is as good as him so maybe they will have to throw and if they do bubba and company are gonna blitz...and although wentz is fast he also a big target for our lb's to hit and hopefully hit hard

They will still pound the rock. Theyll open up the passing game a bit as a luxury not a necessity.

Agree a lot with this.  I think Wentz had a lot of time in the pocket last year to go through his reads and likely will again this year with their very good O-Line.  UND will have to blitz and force him to make quick decisions.  Seemed like he got happy feet when there was pressure (which wasn't often) and he has no issue taking off, which he is more than capable of doing.  When he does, he has a tendency to try for an extra yard or two and doesn't secure the ball very well instead of sliding or going out of bounds.  All that being said, they are pretty nit-picky and he'll be one of the best QB's UND sees this year.

Three months later, and I stand by my take from March: 

Random observations, for what they're worth:

UND offense v. NDSU defense

- NDSU's defense lost both starting safeties, three opening day linebackers, and the best DE in FCS. Their twos become the ones. <-- Are the threes ready to be the twos. 

- UND will start _______ at QB and _______ at RB. <-- Monster questions without answers today. 

- Will UND's offensive line be better than how they were playing at the end of 2014. <-- The answer to this is a big factor in how the game will be played. 

NDSU offense v. UND defense

- How many will UND have to keep in the box to withstand the NDSU run game or will NDSU choose to forgo the run and attack a suspect UND secondary. 

Special Teams

- NDSU will have a new primary kicker 

Still a big question mark on the UND QB and RB situation.

I honestly believe that Studsrud will be the guy week 1.  Obviously if things don't go well for him, we have a more than capable backup with Bartels and even Molberg.  But from what I am hearing, the coaches are pretty high on Studsrud after spring ball. 

I honestly believe that Studsrud will be the guy week 1.  Obviously if things don't go well for him, we have a more than capable backup with Bartels and even Molberg.  But from what I am hearing, the coaches are pretty high on Studsrud after spring ball. 

In a way its a shame he burned up his redshirt last year but on the flip side he got gameday experience and got 2 wins including a win against a ranked team. I hope whoever the QB is they stay healthy.

This may be most readily answered by one of the ndsu people...does anyone have a good idea what the viewing options for the und/ndsu game will be, both television and webcast?

And while I'm at it, anybody know who does the Wyoming Cowboys football broadcasts? I wonder if there is any chance the the UW/UND game could be viewed outside of Wyoming.

This may be most readily answered by one of the ndsu people...does anyone have a good idea what the viewing options for the und/ndsu game will be, both television and webcast?

ND NBC I would presume

And while I'm at it, anybody know who does the Wyoming Cowboys football broadcasts? I wonder if there is any chance the the UW/UND game could be viewed outside of Wyoming.

Go to wyonation.com. They have all that info. I will be there cheering on UND. The one game where I won't be backing Pistol Pete and the Pokes.

Take that for whatever he will go to. Call Gate City if you have to.

Ha. Well I never let their arrogance get in the way of making a little cash. Never got less than 14 points from my Bison friends in any of these games and went 13-2 against their "spread".

96 November 16, 1991 Fargo, ND North Dakota State 28 35

97 November 14, 1992 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota State 19 20

98 October 30, 1993 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota 22 21

99 October 29, 1994 Fargo, ND North Dakota 34 13

100 November 26, 1994 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota 14 7

101 November 4, 1995 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota 21 7

102 November 18, 1995 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota State 10 41

103 November 9, 1996 Fargo, ND North Dakota 33 19

104 October 18, 1997 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota State 10 31

105 October 17, 1998 Fargo, ND North Dakota 39 25

106 October 2, 1999 Grand Forks, ND North Dakota 13 10

107 September 30, 2000 Fargo, ND North Dakota State 13 16