SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

Football has always had a little something extra to it. That's why it'll be different. There's a certain history that only exists between the football programs.

It will be a big game on the calendar.  History says so.  I agree.

It has been an intense rivalry, in part, because both schools have gone through cycles of dominance over the other. And, there have been upsets that have temporarily derailed the dominance.

One difference is that football is NDSU's flagship program nationally, while hockey is UND's. It doesn't mean that each school can't find success in other sports.

Add the proximity of the two schools and you have the perfect mixture for a great rivalry. Too bad we're not in the same conference, like in the NCC days.

That is what is missing...fighting each other for a conference title. The game is big in every way, bragging rights, recruiting battles but in the end it's a non-conference game which makes it a little less meaningful.

It has been an intense rivalry, in part, because both schools have gone through cycles of dominance over the other.  And, there have been upsets that have temporarily derailed the dominance.

One difference is that football is NDSU's flagship program nationally, while hockey is UND's.  It doesn't mean that each school can't find success in other sports.  

Add the proximity of the two schools and you have the perfect mixture for a great rivalry.  Too bad we're not in the same conference, like in the NCC days.

I believe that there will be realignment in the not too distant future and when that happens I am certain the powers that be at the Dakota schools will figure out a way to all be together. 

The same SIU program the Bison had 0 1st downs at half and squeaked out a 9-6 victory after having to make a huge comeback the year before? (just going off memory) I think history shows SUI gave the Bison all they could handle 3-4 years ago. Anyway, the UND coaches will admit it was a tough sell at SUI given the other 12 or so Division I teams in their back yard.

Nothing says huge comeback quite like winning a game 9-6. Game was back in '11 I believe.

Then don't watch. Why are you on here giving it so much attention then.

This is the same guy who thinks Wentz is average. Pretty sure Wentz will be getting drafted next year.

I would say more folks want this game than not. Tailgating will be awesome and I expect a closer game than most think. No upset though.

You're mincing words, small comeback win in terms of points, huge in establishing a presence in the MVFC.

I'm retiring from this thread, too many tards tarding it up.

Yeah, the national championship victory the season before didn't establish that already.

Since I've lived down in AZ for about 3 years now I haven't been to any of the recent UND-NDSU basketball games or anything, so I can't comment if the games were boring or how the atmosphere was. I think the football teams playing will help the rivalry in the other sports, there is just something about the football game.....that is a different animal.  I agree though that not being in the same conference and playing every year takes away a little of the urgency or importance of the games.  Although since fewer games in a football season, one loss can make a difference.  Since they won't be playing until 2019 again, some of the rivalry part may wear off a little until the next time again.  Hopefully there will be a playoff matchup before 2019.

I have no idea whether I represent the majority, or not. And I don't think that you really do either. I do know that those Bison fans I talk to are very divided on whether this game should have been scheduled in the first place and whether it should be continued.

Why are they hesitant to allow their prescious team play this game? Are they worried bison football may fall back down to the number 3 team in state?

You're mincing words, small comeback win in terms of points, huge in establishing a presence in the MVFC.

I'm retiring from this thread, too many tards tarding it up.

Are you really saying that NDSU's 2012 comeback win over SIU (4-7 in 2011) helped the Bison (14-1 and National Champs in 2011) establish a presence in the MVFC?

Well, you know what they say about people who live in glass houses.

Are you really saying that NDSU's 2012 comeback win over SIU (4-7 in 2011) helped the Bison (14-1 and National Champs in 2011) establish a presence in the MVFC?

Well, you know what they say about people who live in glass houses.

Dr. Mincer,

Should I have said "was a critical MVC game in the Bison's season"

Bison were 3-1 in conference play, SUI was 4-1 in conference play heading into the 2012 game. I guess that game didn't mean much. Done with this-

Dr. Mincer,

Bison were 3-1 in conference play, SUI was 4-1 in conference play heading into the 2012 game. I guess that game didn't mean much. Done with this-

Again, don't throw stones, you live in a glass house.

Basketball games have been boring. First one in Fargo was neat for about 10 minutes. Fans come in with these expectations and it doesn't live up to it.

4 of the 5 basketball games have been blowouts one way or the other. The only one that was competitive was the one that was played in REA, and I'd say fans of either school that were at that one had a great time.

• Upvote 2

Say that to my face and you will find out what I throw-

C'mon, you misspoke, no need for threats. Besides, what I said was pretty mild compared to "tarded up by tards".

BTW - I suggest you look up the meaning of the idiom: "mince words."

4 of the 5 basketball games have been blowouts one way or the other. The only one that was competitive was the one that was played in REA, and I'd say fans of either school that were at that one had a great time.

That was a fun game to be at.

Dr. Mincer,

I'm thinking since UND has been awful for so long now, you've forgotten what big games are.

I'm thinking since UND has been awful for so long now, you've forgotten what big games are.

Good one Johnny....

UND has had plenty of hyped up games in just the past few seasons, but they have dropped most of them. I think this season and definitely 2016 will be the years when Bubba gets UND over that hump, especially home games. Last year, UND almost/should have knocked off #7 Montana at home. This season, UND has a very real chance of going undefeated at home, meaning possible upsets vs Montana State and Idaho State (also big road opportunities vs Wyoming, NDSU, and Montana). 2013 also had big home games, such as SDSU and Montana, but Mussman had UND football in a bottomless pit.

UND football is getting there with some top-notch coaching from Bubba and his assistants. Your BS is way too obvious.

Good one Johnny....

UND has had plenty of hyped up games in just the past few seasons, but they have dropped most of them. I think this season and definitely 2016 will be the years when Bubba gets UND to get over that hump, especially home games. Last year, UND almost/should have knocked off #7 Montana at home. This season, UND has a very real chance of going undefeated at home, meaning possible upsets vs Montana State and Idaho State (also big road opportunities vs Wyoming, NDSU, and Montana). 2013 also had big home games, such as SDSU and Montana, but Mussman had UND football in a bottomless pit.

UND football is getting there with some top-notch cosching from Bubba and his assistants. Your BS is way too obvious.

I'd say that you're counting a few un-hatched chickens. The reality is that you've had losing seasons three out of the last four years (or is it 4 out of 5?). You've got a long way to go before you even see the hump.

I'd say that you're counting a few un-hatched chickens. The reality is that you've had losing seasons three out of the last four years. You've got a long way to go before you even see the hump.

Long way to go?

I beg to differ.

Last season, with a patched up roster and very few of his own recruits, Bubba got UND to 5-6, an upset vs NAU, and close to several more upsets (Montana and Montana State). This season, the roster is so much more improved.

Sorry Bucky, the years of UND football having losing seasons are over.

Long way to go?

I beg to differ.

Last season, with a patched up roster and very few of his own recruits, Bubba got UND to 5-6, an upset vs NAU, and close to several more upsets (Montana and Montana State). This season, the roster is so much more improved.

Sorry Bucky, the years of UND football having losing seasons are over.

OK, if you say so. You certainly are in a better position to know than I am.

Still, you have had more losing seasons in the last 5 years than NDSU has had in the last 50. So, as I said, you still have a long way to go.

Edit - I should also remind you that last year, in a 5-7 season, you beat a terrible Robert Morris team by all of 3 points at home, and you got blown out by a team that won just a single game in the MVFC.