SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. SCSU - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Reffing was horrible tonight with some very weak calls but then letting plays with obvious interference and holding go. Really the only time I got nervous was when St.Cloud would go on the powerplay. Pretty good game tonight with a good 1st period got a little sloppy in the 2nd and a solid 3rd. Lindgren was fantastic for St.Cloud we could have easily been up at least 4-0 after the 1st period. Zane came up big when called upon as it seems like he always does. Everyone in the lineup tonight played pretty well and brought a lot of energy early. Nick Schmaltz has some amazing hands and seems to be getting better every weekend and when he plays like he did tonight we become even more dangerous. If we are allowed to play a lot of 5-on-5 hockey tomorrow night I feel very good about our chances but with the way the game was called tonight I don't really see that happening so we have to be better on the PK. One other thing I hope we are better in tomorrow is the faceoff circle not sure what the numbers were but seemed like we really struggled in that area. 

St. Cloud is good.  If they make it in the tournament, they could do some damage.

Faceoffs were the big problem in this game.  So many clean wins led to possession and chances.

Two chances late right in front were the ones you have to have.  Mac to Parks (right before the penalty) and the OD chance in his skates.

Came away from the game pretty frustrated, but a win is a win

Random thoughts

Horrible reffing again.

It was a whole different game after Parks took his stupid penalty in the second.  As has been said many times, he should know better - it allowed them to get back in the game with their PP goal - If he doesn't screw his head on he's going to really cost us with this type of play

With all of the talent we have, don't we have anyone who can win face-offs? - I know it is a specialized skill, but we just got killed

I am all in favor of the new type of puck moving defensemen, but since when did St. Cloud think they could goon it up with us (it kind of worked too)

All in all we missed some open shots but still came away with a win.

St. Cloud is good. If they make it in the tournament, they could do some damage.

Faceoffs were the big problem in this game. So many clean wins led to possession and chances.

Two chances late right in front were the ones you have to have. Mac to Parks (right before the penalty) and the OD chance in his skates.

Faceoffs were a HUGE problem. Gotta get better on that tomorrow. We out played them 5-on-5. Must. Stay. Out. Of. The. Box.

Faceoffs were a HUGE problem. Gotta get better on that tomorrow. We out played them 5-on-5. Must. Stay. Out. Of. The. Box.

They were a problem the second half of the game.  St. Cloud made some adjustments that paid off.  Mac had a rough night at the dot.  Tomorrow night personifies what the rest of the year is like.  Go out, hit hard, skate your sac off, shoot when you can, and block as many shots as you have to.  With St. Cloud and Miami left, it's tourney time.  Every game matters from here out. 

GO SIOUX!!!

SCSU PP is year in and year out the best UND sees. Parks and LJ need to make note of that. If UND doesn't get its own PP at 2:22 left who thinks that game doesn't go to OT? 5 and 2 were really good last night on the back end. It doesn't happen often but the Mac line kind of got worked over from the early 2nd on by Brodz line. I don't expect to see that again tonight. Finally.......THIS is the NS I was expecting to see early this season. He was terrific. OD is playing easily his best hockey of his college career the last couple months and that line was great last night.

SCSU PP is year in and year out the best UND sees. Parks and LJ need to make note of that. If UND doesn't get its own PP at 2:22 left who thinks that game doesn't go to OT? 5 and 2 were really good last night on the back end. It doesn't happen often but the Mac line kind of got worked over from the early 2nd on by Brodz line. I don't expect to see that again tonight. Finally.......THIS is the NS I was expecting to see early this season. He was terrific. OD is playing easily his best hockey of his college career the last couple months and that line was great last night.

I honestly think hak and team needs to take some notes on some of these teams. There is no reason we can't have a top notch pp. I really like our pp once we gain entry into he zone but gaining entry is a whole different battle for this team. It might be time to get mattson on the top unit. Kid can dish it.

5 was phenomenal. Absolutely crazy to think that the player that has shown up the last 10 games or so, was a healthy scratch at any point. Been playing great hockey.

Sat behind the SC bench last night. A couple things about this game. The Oliver kid is nothing but a whiner....every damn call, the period breaks, after penalties. I'm not sure how much control Motzko has of his team. At one point, Motzko was moving the big monster kid they have to a different part of the bench in an effort to apparently send him out on the next shift when little number #16 on the team next to him said "no" and sent him back to where he was previously on the bench and Motzko just stood there and took it in disbelief. Also, there was a guy in front of us who was completely polluted and was riding the SC players for the first two periods until he got the boot. He was irritating as hell, even for me, and i think it worked a little as Oliver complained after the period break about him.....which i cant blame him for. All in all it was electric in the Ralph last night. 

UND is playing very well considering it has the big #1 on its back and can expect every team's best night in and night out. I haven't done a peer reviewed study or anything, but I think that kind of dynamic has the same effect on a team's "want-to-beat" factor as it does when a team is fighting to stave off a season-ending defeat. 

• Upvote 1